Gibson Brands Forums

Help needed to identify my SG

tom47

Hi, my name is Tom, I live in Berlin/Germany.

I've bought a used, worn looking SG and I'd like to know some facts about it:

The serial-number is 81070571, so it should be a model from April 1980.

What makes me wonder is that the pole-pieces of both pickups are looking at the same direction (to the neck side)

On every SG I've seen before the pole pieces of the neck pickup are looking to the bridge and the pole pieces of the

bridge pickup are looking to the neck. The second thing is that you can see two linear stripes going through the entire body on each pickup side. This looks to me like the two body halves were mounted separately on the middle piece.

I woule preciate if somebody can tell me more about these strange things.:)

Hi' date=' my name is Tom, I live in Berlin/Germany.

I've bought a used, worn looking SG and I'd like to know some facts about it:

The serial-number is 81070571, so it should be a model from April 1980.

What makes me wonder is that the pole-pieces of both pickups are looking at the same direction (to the neck side)

On every SG I've seen before the pole pieces of the neck pickup are looking to the bridge and the pole pieces of the

bridge pickup are looking to the neck. The second thing is that you can see two linear stripes going through the entire body on each pickup side. This looks to me like the two body halves were mounted separately on the middle piece.

I woule preciate if somebody can tell me more about these strange things.:) [/quote']

pictures would help.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11276

Okay, here are some pictures of the SG.

I marked the rifts with yellow arrows, so you can follow the line.

You can also see some colorbased diffenrences between both pickups, like I described before.

sgrisse.th.jpg

sgrisse2.th.jpg

And here's the neck with the inlays. My question is in how far you can identify this model of the SG by the form of inlays, because normally the SG has trapez-inlays, mine noesn't.

sginlays.th.jpg

I hope you can help in some way.

For more questions or pictures, just ask.

Thanks

looks good to me. It's got a 3 piece body I would think, and generally that's how they do the 3 piece. You want the neck joint to be on a solid piece of wood, not a glued piece. A two piece body is rarely down the middle, at least from what I've seen.

as said before, the inlays/binding are correct for the period. Did you take off all of the hardware, or did you get it like that?

The pickups can probably be identified by checking the bottom. one or more may have been replaced. I believe it really doesn't matter which direction the poles face.

Thanks for these quick answers! O.K. I took the instrument apart to clean all parts but its in complete condition exept one volume knob missing. The headstock has the original Gibson-logo and the serial-number is carved in the reverse side. On the bottom of the serial number "Made in U.S.A."

I'd get some Gibson pump polish or other good guitar polish and clean that thing up. It'll look a lot better with a nice clean finish, and most guitar waxes/polishes also offer some protection from wear.

anyway, great looking guitar! I just finally got around to taking off the dinky gibson strap buttons on my SG standard and replacing them with schaller security locks. Schaller makes goooooood stuff. Definitely.

Archived