Gibson Brands Forums

HNAD! Its here!

Andre S

Finally!

Its just a little 15w beginning tube amp, but you can get pure tube tone ( I think) from Channel 1 and tube with SS stuff through Channel 2.

Its the Fender Super Champ XD. I really wanted an amp that would stay clean and this one seems to have done it well.

It'll come sometime this week..

I have one question.

If I change tubes, is it a matter of pull out and push in? I saw something about biasing?

Finally!

Its just a little 15w beginning tube amp' date=' but you can get pure tube tone ( I think) from Channel 1 and tube with SS stuff through Channel 2.

Its the Fender Super Champ XD. I really wanted an amp that would stay clean and this one seems to have done it well.

It'll come sometime this week..

I have one question.

If I change tubes, is it a matter of pull out and push in? I saw something about biasing?[/quote']

Congratulations.

Changing tubes is easy - pull out, push in - make sure you like up the pins and don't bend them.

You can spend a lot of money on replacements - be mindful of the hype and don't spend a fortune if you can get a sound you like from what you have.

Don't worry too much about biasing the power tubes - there's a lot of opinions about it, but at this stage, just use your ears and see if you like how the different tubes sound to you. You're not likely to break anything.

(This amp is supposed have 6V6 power tubes - Mine came with tubes marked "6V6" on one side, and "6L6EH" on the other. I contacted Electro Harmonix, and they said the tubes were in fact 6V6s - they had been mislabeled.)

Congratulations.

Changing tubes is easy - pull out' date=' push in - make sure you like up the pins and don't bend them.

You can spend a lot of money on replacements - be mindful of the hype and don't spend a fortune if you can get a sound you like from what you have.

Don't worry too much about biasing the power tubes - there's a lot of opinions about it, but at this stage, just use your ears and see if you like how the different tubes sound to you. You're not likely to break anything.

(This amp is supposed have 6V6 power tubes - Mine came with tubes marked "6V6" on one side, and "6L6EH" on the other. I contacted Electro Harmonix, and they said the tubes were in fact 6V6s - they had been mislabeled.) [/quote']

oh you have this amp? How do you like it? did you change anything? speaker? tube? anything?

Is it loud enough for 20 ish people?

oh you have this amp? How do you like it? did you change anything? speaker? tube? anything?

Is it loud enough for 20 ish people?

I have it, and I like it.

It'll get loud enough.

I changed the power tubes because I thought the stock ones sounded harsh - but that's so subjecive that I'd recommend that you run it for a while before spending a bunch of money on speculation. I had a box full of old tubes gathered from rebuilding Hammand Organs that allowed me to experiment a bit.

The speaker is OK - but remember that it needs a break-in period before you'll really be able to decide if it works for you.

Along with the speaker the internal parts will need to break in too. After somewhere between 20-40 hours of playing time should give you a good idea of the amps true sound.

My suggestion is to not change anything until after some break in time.

Oh and don't crank it right away. Let the speaker break in with some gentle playing first. Gradually turn the volume up.

Along with the speaker the internal parts will need to break in too. After somewhere between 20-40 hours of playing time should give you a good idea of the amps true sound.

My suggestion is to not change anything until after some break in time.

Oh and don't crank it right away. Let the speaker break in with some gentle playing first. Gradually turn the volume up.

I don't plan to change anything till at least March, I know speakers need time to break in etc.

Thanks

Archived