Gibson Brands Forums

What was your first car?

daveinspain

1959 VW Beetle.

36hp' date=' no air, no radio, no seat belts, etc. - and the seats had been gutted out so the seller could haul bricks.

I used a kitchen chair for the driver's seat.

I loved that car.[/quote']

I wonder if that would pass a safety inspection now [biggrin]

1959 VW Beetle.

36hp' date=' no air, no radio, no seat belts, etc. - and the seats had been gutted out so the seller could haul bricks.

I used a kitchen chair for the driver's seat.

I loved that car.[/quote']

I would love to see pics of that!

My first car was a used 1968 American Motors AMX.... What a great car' date=' wish I still had it. It would be worth a fortune today. Mine was just like this but it had a flat black hood.

[img']http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/Daveinspain_PB/DSC05040.jpg[/img]

That is badass! I had a buddy in high school with one. Believe it or not a local car dealer just had one a few moths ago. Spotless too. I didn't even wanna ask how much they wanted for it!

Oh, the OP...

Mine was a 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass two-door, 330, white.

I wonder if that would pass a safety inspection now [biggrin]

Oddly, that was back in the day when the CHP held random safety inspection stops... go figure.

It also had very little brakes and I swear the beams from the headlights went out

straight for about 35' before they drooped over at a 90* angle into the ground .

A 1973 Plymouth Fury III, former Police Car, sans 440 they came with back in the day. The rest was "Police Package" though. Paid 600 bucks for it in 1980, that was the best one besides a 1972 Super Beetle. Paid 400 for that, and the best thing about the VeeWee was I could, and did tune-ups myself, Brake jobs, etc. I miss my Buggy the most.

This is a very Sore Subject for me. My first car was a Volkswagon Squareback. Registered as a '67, but all the features pointed to it being a '63.

Anyway, one night me and a couple friends from work were at a Bar, and I wanted to drink so my roommate was Designated Driver. Little did I know, he was designated Idiot, too. As we were driving homw, he thought it would be funny to Mess with Us, and he swerved back and forth. Volkswagon supension being what it is, the thing rolled right over.

That's the last time I allowed a Designated Driver drive my car [crying]

great story! like this one?

K4BC4880D765_1001364.jpg

(dave' date=' love the AMX!)[/quote']

bingo! geez jeff, you're a monster! had an umbrella holder in the back. good place to hang your underwear while watching the movie.

also, one of the last straight "8"s detroit made. i remember the starter was under the accelerator. turn the key and step on the gas. 4200 lbs. of iron.

1955 Chrysler 2dht with a hemi.

Not beans in a drag, but it seemed there was no top end. Nice seats. Hauled a lotta gear.

.... Edit.... I just remembered - as I started back to work - the official instruction manual for the car carried this instruction: "When driving at sustained speeds of 120 mph or above, reinflate tire pressures two to three pounds."

m

Archived