Gibson Brands Forums

New J45

passthej45

New to Gibsons and this forum. Have a few questions for you guys in the know. I just got a J 45 Standard. 1. How can you tell when it was made via the serial # ? 2. I use Elixir nanos on my other guitar(Taylor 314), how do you think that they will work on the Gibby? 3. Does anyone find the jack hole a little tight(that sounds nasty!). 4. Does anyone feel that the rosewood fingerboard takes away from playability?I"m used to playing on...ebony. 4. Haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, how does the LR baggs system sound? Thanks for any advice and opinions, tips, etc.

Welcome to the forum Pass....

Congrats on the new Gibby!!! I have tried many strings but always come back to my Elixir PB Nano's for all of my guitars including my Taylor 612C and my 2 Gibsons. They just last longer and sound great to my ear.

As to what year it was made, if it is a newer (not vintage) the year made would be the first and 5th number of the serial number.

Aftermarket electronics also will vary a bit on the jack size. My Highland UST equipped Taylor fits Monster cables perfectly but they seem a bit tight on my K & K equipped Gibsons. They all work and I would rather have it a bit tight than loose so I don't worry about it.

I too prefer an ebony board but have never had a problem with a Rosewood board. My Gibson LG1 has a Brazillian Rosewood board and it feels as hard and smooth as my Taylors Ebony board. My AJ has a EI Rosewood board and I don't feel there is any tone loss, maybe just a wee bit of smooth playability loss over the Taylor.

Hope that helps!

Photos are a must!!!

Welcome and congrats on the J-45. Hope you love it!

1. http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

2. You'll get as many opinions on strings as there are people on the forum. Me, I hate Elixirs. I won't put them on my Gibsons OR Taylors, for that matter. D'addario PB all the way. I think a lot of folks here like them also. You might give 'em a shot on your J-45.

3. Never noticed this, but my J-45 isn't a standard. I have a J-200 with what I assume is the same LR Baggs (Element, with the single volume wheel inside the soundhole), and I did find this jack a little tight.

4. Not really. I like an ebony fingerboard, but I don't think there's any real difference with Rosewood. YMMV. Hoepfully after you've played the J-45 a bunch you'll come back and tell us your findings.

4. I really like the L.R. Baggs Element for a basic system. Much prefer it to cheap Fishmans, and I think I like it better than the Taylor ES-T. I'm totally sold on L.R. Baggs.

Welcome. My J45 is Rosewood back and sides w/ ebony board and bridge. I remember the first day, and love it just as much now.

I used to cuss Elixirs, but I use them once in a while now because I've been playing electric lead with a working band for several years and don't play the acoustic as much.

Best of luck.

Thanks again for all of the info and support. I'm still getting used to the neck . What neck shape is that considered on the J45? I thinks it's just because I have been playing the Taylor for the last few years exclusively that it's taking a little time for my fingers to adjust........ya know like if you've been only having sex with your wife for the last gazillion years then you get with someone different......younger , better shape, flawless lines and curves........and it just feels......DIFFERENT.....WAIT, that's a bad example !

I used to have a Taylor 810 & the main differences in the neck to me are: (1) The Gibson has a gloss finish/Taylor satin - I'd say the Taylor wins here (2) The Gibson is short scale/Taylor standard long scale - Here I prefer the Gibson as I make less mistakes trying to get those Bluegrass tune lead runs down fast!

In terms of sound though, no comparison IMHO - that's why I still have the J-45!

No sound would indicate that the string at the 12th fret is buzzing at the 13th fret. Likely, too low of action on the guitar from the saddle being a bit too low (but it suppose it could also be a truss rod adjustment...but more likely the saddle action is too low.) It wouldn't be the strings. If there is no undersaddle pickup on the guitar, a small wood shim or two underneath the saddle will slightly raise it to check to see if the problem goes away when the saddle is higher. If you're not familiar with doing that I'd suggest taking it back to where you bought it to look at it and give you another saddle or set it up for you. If you bought it on-line from a dealer, contact the dealer on where you should take it to or discuss returning it and having them send you another one so you do not need to deal with the issue. This really shouldn't happen from a factory saddle which is normally a bit higher than it should be (unless the dealer shaved it down...and too far at that.) (If by chance your guitar has an adjustable saddle, just turn the screws to raise it and the problem likely will go away.) From here...I defer to ksdaddy and his guitar repair knowledge/expertise.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

No sound would indicate that the string at the 12th fret is buzzing at the 13th fret. Likely' date=' too low of action on the guitar from the saddle being a bit too low (but it suppose it could also be a truss rod adjustment...but more likely the saddle action is too low.) It wouldn't be the strings. If there is no undersaddle pickup on the guitar, a small wood shim or two underneath the saddle will slightly raise it to check to see if the problem goes away when the saddle is higher. If you're not familiar with doing that I'd suggest taking it back to where you bought it to look at it and give you another saddle or set it up for you. If you bought it on-line from a dealer, contact the dealer on where you should take it to or discuss returning it and having them send you another one so you do not need to deal with the issue. This really shouldn't happen from a factory saddle which is normally a bit higher than it should be (unless the dealer shaved it down...and too far at that.) (If by chance your guitar has an adjustable saddle, just turn the screws to raise it and the problem likely will go away.) From here...I defer to ksdaddy and his guitar repair knowledge/expertise.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff[/quote']

Archived