Gibson Brands Forums

Post norlin era customs?

Belva

What about the post norlin era?

I'm talking quality-wise compared to the previous customs.

Do they sound better, less substantial or what?

Quality of manufacturing, expecially on the 00 years has got better or worse or just the same?

Weight relieving... did it change the tone to a big extent?

I'd like to know what you think about post 1985 les paul customs right to 2009 customs.

I see the 90's - 00's customs are not a common topic of discussion so I'd like to gain data about it.

Thanks for your assitance guys!

Good advice. Some of the Norlin Les Pauls are outstanding, some aren't, just like now. I like the 88 - 91 Henry J era guitars. Seems like they had a bit more consistency and perhaps a bit more attention to details. Not quite there, but much closer to the 50s specs. But, as mentioned, just try 'em and you'll find your guitar.

Thx guys. I live kinda isolated so before I get to my car I want at least to know what I'm looiking for.

Sok you mentioned the "henry j" era... i didn't know about it.This is the kind of question I'm looking for.

Imo,site should do a timeline with all the changes-quality score for each gibson guitar model, I'm looking specifically for a black les paul custom.

Do you know the other "eras"?

What about the les paul customs (ebony) produced from 2000 to 2009 ... are them good too or quality got slightly lower (or better?)

Do let me know.

Yep I am!

I tried a 2008 lpc and I wouldn't call the neck "fat", it's a medium.

But for me "fat" means that LPB7 I used to own, which is baseball bat fat.

The 2008 was pretty good detailwise, but still far away form reissue quality at my eyes. Thx for the info man!

Thx guys. I live kinda isolated so before I get to my car I want at least to know what I'm looiking for.

Sok you mentioned the "henry j" era... i didn't know about it.This is the kind of question I'm looking for.

Imo' date='site should do a timeline with all the changes-quality score for each gibson guitar model, I'm looking specifically for a black les paul custom.

Do you know the other "eras"?

What about the les paul customs (ebony) produced from 2000 to 2009 ... are them good too or quality got slightly lower (or better?)

Do let me know.

[/quote']

In '85 I believe a management group led by the current CEO, Henry Juskewicz (not sure that's the spelling) bought out the mess that Norlin-Gibson had become, fired the management (long overdue) and set about to put things right. They tried to get the classic designs (335, SG, LP, etc.) back to the 50s / early 60s "McCarty Era" guitars as close as possible. You begin to see the improvements around '88 IIRC. Not exact reproductions, but they captured the essence. Better, they began to listen to the customers.

As noted, there are great Les Paul Customs from all eras, and at affordable prices. You just have to find 'em and play them. Plus, good to bear in mind that many which may initially not play or sound all that great can almost always be improved by a good setup.

I agree with sok66. There are great LPC's from any era you just have to find them.

I recently played a 2009 LPC which seemed a bit heavier to me than my '74 LPC 20th Anniv. I own one LPC and a couple of modern R series Standards. When compared to the sound of the '74LPC, the modern LP's sound very smooth. The old guitar has a real personality of its own and a different sound which I really enjoy.

In the end you need to play the guitar before you buy.

Thx for the info. I'm still skeptical about weight relieving , all that swiss cheese.... does it influence the tone ? I dunno.

I just found out gibson is making the "1968 reissue" which should be like an LPB7 but with a medium neck and vos finish.

Is it true or it has the terrible LPB7 50's neck?

You guys know somebody that has one?

Do let me know!

I'm still skeptical about weight relieving' date=' all that swiss cheese.... does it influence the tone ?[/quote']

Possibly very, very slightly on an absolute scale. But even if it does; no-one can say whether for the better or worse except yourself. You are the only person who hears through your ears.

As has been said on another post active at this time : weight-relief started in the '80s. No one spoke of any perceived tonal difference throughout the Les Paul range at the time and it was by chance that the process was made public knowledge almost 20 years after it had been introduced. That, I think, tells you all you need to know about how much it affects tone.

good luck telling the difference between a 1982 Std and a weight-relieved 83 Std. you probably will be able to tell the difference playing a weight- relieved and a chambered guitar though. will you be able to tell when you're plugged into a cranked Marshall? i doubt it. and your audience sure wont either. ymmv

Archived