Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Hummingbird Quilted Maple

grOOved

Anyone have one? How does it compare to the hog back and sides? I have a dove right now - I do like the warmth of the h-bird though. Not sure if the brightness of the Dove has more to do with the maple or the longer scale.

Show us your Dove! (why does that sound dirty?)

Anyone have one? How does it compare to the hog back and sides? I have a dove right now - I do like the warmth of the h-bird though. Not sure if the brightness of the Dove has more to do with the maple or the longer scale.

Exchanger:

Sorry, for the late reply. I had a Custom quilted maple H. Bird built for me four years ago. I dig maple. It is not a Guitar Center model, but it is similar to what you describe. It is very mellow for maple and still made for the singer's voice (if you buy that position). As it has opened up it has become somewhat more lively and prefers Gibson J-200 strings (if they are actually the ones made by Gibson). It has the custom guard, beveled with the figuring beneath. It is Honeyburst, and beautiful, if you don't mind my saying so. It is one of my favorite acoustics for both sound and looks. Yes, it has an under the saddle and a sound hole volume control. The G.C probably does also.

I know this much, if you buy at Guitar Center stick your elbows out to get the case, candy, truss wrench and cert. of authenticity (probably a lot of 500 made) to which you are entitled at the instrument's quoted price.

Let us know.

Steve

Thanks guys -I'll get some pics up of the Dove. I actually prefer the mahogany over maple. I like the darker punchy tone it delivers. I sold my bird to get a Dove. Now I'm thinking about going back... Maybe a TV Bird but there's a quilt I came across for a steal - gonna pass on I though.

Yea, and like you're, "welome", Exchanger.

Exchanger:

Sorry' date=' for the late reply. I had a Custom quilted maple H. Bird built for me four years ago. I dig maple. It is not a Guitar Center model, but it is similar to what you describe. It is very mellow for maple and still made for the singer's voice (if you buy that position). As it has opened up it has become somewhat more lively and prefers Gibson J-200 strings (if they are actually the ones made by Gibson). It has the custom guard, beveled with the figuring beneath. It is Honeyburst, and beautiful, if you don't mind my saying so. It is one of my favorite acoustics for both sound and looks. Yes, it has an under the saddle and a sound hole volume control. The G.C probably does also.

I know this much, if you buy at Guitar Center stick your elbows out to get the case, candy, truss wrench and cert. of authenticity (probably a lot of 500 made) to which you are entitled at the instrument's quoted price.

Let us know.

Steve

[/quote']

Steve, I do appreciate your comment - detailed and well thought out. I'm totally with you on the looks of the Hummingbird (I love that faded burst tone - honeyburst I can imagine being totally sweet). I'm just thinking out loud and realizing/coming to grips with the fact that though the maple is a really good deal in front of me (and my Dove sounds awesome), I've always had the mahogany tone in my head and for me, once it's there - it's pretty hard to shake. :-k

• 4 years later...

Yes I have one... Mine is a 2006 Custom, the COA says it's 1 of 20 made. The sound is just so totally awesome, I put bone pins etc, and that only increased the awesome sound this guitar has. 2006 Gibson Hummingbird Quilt 1 of 20 Limited Run.

Archived