Gibson Brands Forums

Problem with charging my Robot Guitar

elvendio

I'm wondering if I am the only one having this problem or if maybe I am doing something wrong?

Ok first I plug the power into the charging unit and the light blinks once blue then red. I set the MCK on the guitar to C and push once the battery shows red and a few green led's show the charge level is not full then the bat led blinks red (it is looking for the charger and the charger is also looking for the guitar as is blinking red also). So i plug the guitar in and it starts charging. The bat blinks red and green and the green led's start going up and down to show it's charging also the charging unit blinks green, all is well.

Now all of the sudden the charger led turns red and the peg led on the mck turns green and the charging stops and actually starts draining the battery. I unplug and check the battery lvl and it show almost completely dead and I must restart the whole process of charging again.

I have managed to get the battery up to about half charge before this happens but never to full. Is it just me?

It sounds like you might have a bad battery or charger. Take it back, it is under warranty and Gibson is very keen to see this technology catch on so they will fix it for you. I have had absolutely no problems with mine, either playing or charging, sorry to hear you are. It really is a handy thing if you play a set of songs that requires alternate tunings. Hope yours works out for you.

To update things I swapped patch cords and it charged properly this time. I have a feeling that the signal might have been too weak through the 20 footer so i used a 10'.

Charges up real fast so i don't thing it's a battery issue but ill keep a close eye on it and post any changes.

Btw I also know how to tune manually and i don't think anyone who bought a robot bought it because they don't know how to tune a guitar. I am definitely glad i bought this sucker and am now thinking about the digital lp. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Glad you got it figured out. I suggest you buy a short patch cord, like those you use on a pedal board and put it with the rest of the charging equipment. I am not worried about the tuning comments LOL. My Robot was a Christmas gift from my wife. Where I am now disabled, the thought of not having to lug as many guitars to a jam or gig is appealing. It cuts down on the time needed to retune or change tunings, and that is a nice convenience. I am not as convinced about the digital guitar though because the technology is pretty much held by Gibson. If you are interested in getting into MIDI and guitar synths, I suggest you get Godin or Brian Moore with the 13 pin output. Then you can use a Roland synth which you can get second hand. Also on the Godins the synth controller pickups give you a nice acoustic tone. You also don't have to install Roland pickups since it is already built in to the guitars. You should be able to get a Godin with the 13 pin output for a grand or less.

Thanks Raptor. That looks interesting I was just checking out their web site. I don't think those midi guitars can map each string to it's own channel the way the digital lp does having a separate pickup for each string but they still look intriguing.

There is very little info out there on the Gib digital let alone any reviews. for now I'll just wait and see how things progress.

Thanks Raptor. That looks interesting I was just checking out their web site. I don't think those midi guitars can map each string to it's own channel the way the digital lp does having a separate pickup for each string but they still look intriguing.

There is very little info out there on the Gib digital let alone any reviews. for now I'll just wait and see how things progress.

• 1 month later...

I have had a similar charging problem. everythaing arginglooks like its working fine and the guitar looks like its charging correctly, but after the charging procedure, I unplug the charger and the battery is fully drained back to a red battery ! I sent it back to the UK distributor and they managed to charge it- so I know its not the guitar or battery that is faulty, and I'm using a 0.5 metre patch cable. Its really frustrating !

Hi Elvendio, I'm sure your problem was just the cord was too long.... I remember reading in the instructions to use the shortest cord possible. On another note thought you might like to see my screwless Robot Pickguard. Looks clear from the front but like the plastic covers on the back the side show a bright blue coloration.... Goes perfect with the guitar

RobotPickguard.jpg

Archived