Gibson Brands Forums

I Need Some Inspiration. Help Please.

slashadler

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
he did not post a site or make a huge deal out of it.

It was YOUR post that made me look at the guys' date=' not "the kiddie's" post.[/quote']

Izzy,

That was for illustrative purposes, as I stated previously....

There's a line in the movie The Big Lebowski when John Goodman's character tells their young friend Donnie that he's "like a child who wanders into a conversation with no frame of reference...."

Your attempt to right the wrongs of the forum and expose me as some sort of nemesis to all you hold dear are woefully misguided. There are things we all learn in this world as we age, and one I picked up was to put less emphasis on the whole notion of tolerance cloaked as repect, and vise-versa.

People now are oh-so-quick to take advantage of it and exploit the better characters out there, and their unwillingness to confront others.

I'm sorry if any tongue in cheek humor I employ is not of your liking - or simply invisible to you.

COC has a long history in this forum (and a couple others) of spitting in the other kiddies faces and then running to hide behind the teacher's skirt for protection - all the while flipping his middle finger to all while grinning ear to ear.

Poor, misunderstood little boy....

NEWSFLASH: I understand him.

You jumped in under the influence of zealotry driven by some perceived threat by me.

Your mistake.

I harbor no resentment toward you, or anybody here.

Conversely, I'll call 'em as I see 'em - every time.

In a roundabout way, I'm trying to work a tacit apology in here for you.

Whatever that means to you, take it as you wish.

Shred, I think I forgot to mention this--but what always really gets me is some good, hot swing. The works of Benny Goodman, Fletcher Henderson, Don Redman, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Count Basie, Artie Shaw, Cab Calloway, Buddy Rich, Louis Prima, Jack Teagarden, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong...the list really goes on. Seek out some of the old swing band leaders--I especially recommend Benny Goodman's groups, who have always seemed fairly accessible to me.

And Neo, I really "get" you less and less each day...

Izzy' date='

That was for illustrative purposes, as I stated previously....

There's a line in the movie [b']The Big Lebowski[/b] when John Goodman's character tells their young friend Donnie that he's "like a child who wanders into a conversation with no frame of reference...."

Not joining the fight or taking sides, but to anyone who hasn't seen "The Big Lebowski" do yourselves a favor and watch it. F-ing hilarious. If you don't laugh at all while watching it, there's something wrong with you.

Cinematic masterpiece - up there with Team America' date=' [b']Blazing Saddles[/b] and Something About Mary.

Oh yeah, and O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Virtual High five for mentioning Team America! Also Caddyshack. More inspiration. "The only good kind of animal pun-tang is dead animal pun-tang."

Izzy and Neo

Both of you have made your points.... Now please let this thread run the path it was intended for...

Thanx[cool]

Roger Mod V' date=' Sr. and ty for that Neo, I needed it and understand now.

Sorry for the impetuous behavior. As an apology present I'll post a nudy pic on the pic thread...

OR just contribute to this one:

This lady is one of the founders of the Archie Edwards Blues Heritage Foundation. Looking into it might lead you to something special.

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

Never seen Big LeBowski...I'm SO ashamed t.t

Hey' date=' I need some new inspiration to my music interests. Right now I listen to AC/DC, Aerosmith, Airbourne, Alice In Chains, The Answer, Boston, Black Sabbath, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Rush, Slash's Snakepit, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen, Velvet Revolver, and The Who. I am looking for some new inspiration. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.[/quote']

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Well...

Most of what I suggested earlier has come up again and again.

Yeah, listen also to stuff you don't care for particularly - and better, try playing some of it.

I really don't care much for polka music, but I learned a lot from playing some of it. Ditto some Norwegian traditional dance music from backing up a late 80s fiddler Norwegian immigrant in the '70s. I truly enjoy a lot of "older" Lakota drum sets on occasion, although not as any sort of regular diet.

Some 1860s-80s stuff lasted a long, long time. Why? It's good stuff. Grandfather's Clock... When you and I were young, Maggie...

That latter can be converted, btw, into some neat jazz or swing or bluegrass or country or about anything.

I keep thinking too that the truly old "Minstrel Boy" might make a half-neat "metal" style piece complete to power chords.

At least one of Roy Orbison's later pieces sounded suspiciously like Verdi. Forget accusations surrounding Wagner's politics and listen to the Ring cycle. The old broadside (look that term up <grin>) Ballad of Sam'l Hall is almost an original "get bent, world" pre metal metal...

Try finding a copy of Lomax's "Folk Songs of North America."

And yeah, most of the time I'd prefer blues, some rocky country or swing, but... There's so much music, so little time.

m

Hey' date=' I need some new inspiration to my music interests. Right now I listen to AC/DC, Aerosmith, Airbourne, Alice In Chains, The Answer, Boston, Black Sabbath, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Rush, Slash's Snakepit, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen, Velvet Revolver, and The Who. I am looking for some new inspiration. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.[/quote']

Mike Oldfield.

Guthrie Govan.

Buckethead.

Sergei Rachmaninov.

Dmitri Shostakovich.

Dude! Eric Clapton! Some of the old blues guitarists (alive and passed on)--B.B.King, Robert Johnson, Etta Baker, Rev. Gary Davis, Mississippi John Hurt, ROBERT BURNSIDE. That' some hot guiar, baby!

Archived