Gibson Brands Forums

Just Put Heavier Guage strings on my ES 175

Mr. Robot

I just put my ES-175 through a major set-up and changed the strings from the D'addario Jazz/Rock strings to much heavier guage Gibson L5's.

The result is spectacular.

The guitar sounds much louder acoustically, and the tone is much better.

The guitar also sounds much better through an amp.

I wont be doing any fancy string bending on this baby, with the heavier guage strings, but they just suit the guitar so much better.

The set up was done by Joe at Gallins Guitars, Blackburn in Melbourne. The guy is a pro and does set ups for the big boys. He really knows how to set up Gibby's and takes great care.

I use D'Addario Chromes (flatwounds) 12's. They are my favorites! I've tried others but I'm happiest with these. Having said this I'm about to try LaBella strings.

How long do those flatwounds last? My guitar tech says i should try them, but that they go flat pretty quickly.

Hi Mr. Robot,

'How long do those flatwounds last? My guitar tech says i should try them, but that they go flat pretty quickly.'

I've been using the flat wounds for about two+ years. Initially I started with 11's but quickly moved to 12's.

I find they last for ages, say 2 months and don't seem to deteriorate much. And even when I change them I don't really think that I need to. I probably change them because I have got used to changing ordinary strings every couple of weeks or even less if I play a lot. When I played a lot in bands I changed my Les Paul Ernie Balls (10's) every 3 or 4 days. But the flat wounds play great for a long time!

Try one set and see what you think. They are sort of hard to get in Melbourne. I have to order them in.

Thanks Alan. My guitar tech recommended 12's in the flats too.

And you are right, they are hard to get. I have been waiting for weeks for them at my Gibson dealer in Blackburn.

He thinks I may have to have another set up if I change over aswell. Ouch!

To someone that is used to playing roundwound strings, flatwounds will sound, well "flat" right out of the box. That's how their supposed to sound. You really only need to change them when they tarnish, break or begin to have tuning problems.

I use 14-67 flats on my L-5. The guitar gets played regularly in two bands, a 20-piece "big band", and a sextet. Between rehearsals, practice and gigs, the guitar gets played between 20 and 30 hours a week. I change the strings ONCE A YEAR.

I will add I do use very expensive LaBella strings, but even something like the common D'Addario Chromes should give somewhat similar results. Depending on playing style, my work calls for chunking a lot of fancy chords, a few solos and virtually no string bending, you should still only have to change a good heavy set of flats no more than twice a year.

"Individual Results May Vary"

Archived