Gibson Brands Forums

X Mas Number 1 Battle and a finger up to X Factor

Duende

People in the uk who are sick of the predictability each year of an x factor winner gaining the x mas number 1 spot have launched a campaign which you can support to change that!

'Killing In The Name' of by Rage Against The Machine has been re released and thanks to a facebook campaign looks like it could scoop the number 1 spot. It is presently 60000 sales ahead of the x factor winners.

Simon Cowell has already called the facebook campaign 'stupid' and is annoyed that the new x factor winners single risks being number 2. Like a lot of people I am sick of the x factor and it's formulaic approach to music and buying a couple of downloads is like a vote to show disdain.

Additionally money raised from the sales are helping the homeless too which makes it even more worthy in my opinion:-"

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/12/15/tom-morello-supports-rages-killing-in-the-name-in-u-k-christmas-sales-battle/

http://www.oddspreview.com/category/Entertainment/Xmas-Number-1-betting-update--Rage-Against-The-Machine-v-Joe-McElderry-200912160001/

Hi Chanman

I am not sure how many people who are a part of the online protest (against X factor and reality tv music shows) necessarily even like the Rage Against The Machine song, it is more what buying it means; ie a group of people fed up with x factor, pop idol, American Idol etc etc have decided to give the reality tv infested music industry, some competition for the xmas number 1 spot.

At the moment it is number 1 in the online charts. It is amazing the public can take things into their own hands so much these days with popularity. I am enjoying following this story :)

Matt

whoever goes to no1 simon cowell will benefit' date=' sony music owns RATM's record label so the bosses incl cowell will pocket the cash...[blink']

Lorraine Kelly said the same thing yesterday. In my opinion it doesn't matter as it is the statement that not everyone is happy with the state of music; that is the real point of it in my opinion. Also a large chunk of the sales go to charity too:-"

Matt

Ok Matt.

I'll respectfully decline then. American Idol has given us some incredible vocalists that, most likely, would have never gotten a shot using the old "Good Ole Boy" network. Kelly Clarkson... Carrie Underwood... Daughtry... Kelli Pickler.... ALL excellent folks that came out of AI. Voting it down, to me, is the same thing as saying "These individuals, who gained fame through this medium, are not worthy and clearly subpar." I disagree.

How about these folks who came from "Can You Duet", an American Idol style show?

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Or these guys that I would have never heard of, had it not been for "The Next Great American Band":

(starts at 1 min in and ends at 2:45 or so)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Frankly, I am kind of surprised that any aspiring musician would willingly vote against what could arguably be their best shot at breaking big.

:)

Hi Chanman

Thank you for the clips; I enjoy some reality tv stars music too! I voted twice for Will Young in Pop Idol several years back and have watched much reality tv in the past from Big Brother to I'm a Celebrity to Britain's Got Talent. So I am not an anti reality tv person by any means. (I am also a secret Girls Aloud fan[biggrin] But that is another story!)

In my view, a vote, is simply saying there is more to music than reality tv's version of it. Rage Against The Machine's number one slot in the UK online chart (while writing) exemplifies this too, as a large number of the record buying public have paid for this download, indicating a desire to see a different number one single this x mas rather than the same type of one that gets in the charts.

Personally I voted (by downloading RATM twice) because I desire to see a little more balance in popular music. ie a greater percentage of acts gaining exposure and recognition, from non reality tv methods. I am not saying one way is THE only way, just that it would be nice to see a little more balance in the future. Variety is after all the spice of life[cool]

Matt

Hi Chanman

Thank you for the clips; I enjoy some reality tv stars music too! I voted twice for Will Young in Pop Idol several years back and have watched much reality tv in the past from Big Brother to I'm a Celebrity to Britain's Got Talent. So I am not an anti reality tv person by any means. (I am also a secret Girls Aloud fan[biggrin] But that is another story!)

In my view' date=' a vote, is simply saying there is more to music than reality tv's version of it. Rage Against The Machine's number one slot in the UK online chart (while writing) exemplifies this too, as a large number of the record buying public have paid for this download, indicating a desire to see a different number one single this x mas rather than the same type of one that gets in the charts.

Personally I voted (by downloading RATM twice) because I desire to see a little more balance in popular music. ie a greater percentage of acts gaining exposure and recognition, from non reality tv methods. I am not saying one way is THE only way, just that it would be nice to see a little more balance in the future. Variety is after all the spice of life[cool']

Matt

So you're saying it would be ok with you for someone to start a campaign to vote one of your songs out of first place... not because it's not worthy of being number one, but as a protest against the method by which you were discovered?

"We're tired of seeing #1 hits from the blokes at Belmont! Vote for the remake of "Kumbaya"!

Interesting position.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I've learned something today.

So you're saying it would be ok with you for someone to start a campaign to vote one of your songs out of first place... not because it's not worthy of being number one' date=' but as a protest against the method by which you were discovered?

[/quote']

Hi Chan

Yes I am saying that; it is a free country to agree and disagree with something. [biggrin]

In light of how things are at the moment let me just add, that although I don't agree with you, it is not a problem to me (our differing opinion) and I see the different views on things what make life exciting. I wonder what some other people think about x factor here?

Matt

In light of how things are at the moment let me just add' date=' that although I don't agree with you, it is not a problem to me (our differing opinion)

Matt[/quote']

Entirely civil and with no malice at all. Notice no one felt like they had to call anyone names or insult anyone for having a different opinion... it's just a different opinion after all [biggrin]

Let us know how it goes, if you would sir.

Mmmm. Yeah,I've actually given this a bit more thought and am on the fence re. this.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Chanman said,yet still cannot get my head around the fact that these artists will be owned heart and soul by the powers that be as they are more than likely young,albeit very talented,but naive up and coming desperado's(and I use that in that nicest way possible).

These guys should not be signing ANYTHING after winning their moment of glory without consulting a good lawyer.

Since so many artists are going the independent route now anyway,and why not,I see these programmes etc. as being a last ditch effort by Recording Companies etc. to rope a dope as they have always done,with unsuspecting star struck musicians.

Just my 2 bobs worth anyway...me jealous? You bet! Haha.

Reading the original post it seemed like a swell idea, not that I would have done anything about it.

Then ChanMan brought up interesting points which made me think, "oh, yeah...don't just sign a petition without weighing in all the factors. Great debate. That's how its done!

IMO:

I think people get what they deserve o.o

It is sad that naive entertainers get stuck with poopy contracts.

How many girls haven't gone down on Disney producers to have a 5 minute slot on a tv show...and then they don't get called back? That's all part of show business. These contestants don't seem to me to be in the MUSIC business so much as the entertainment business. Entertainment is for people willing to sell their souls.

Some can appreciate the sounds of these contestants (I like Kelly Clarkson), but I gotta give more credit to those who are SO devoted to their art they would not foolishly shackle themselves to a contract that might compromise their artistic integrity. Grassroots, man.

As for balance on the top of the charts...meh, I don't mind my favorite bands being underground. Less people at the shows? Who listens to top 40 anyways?

Back of a transit van with all the gear, tearing down the motorway to get to the second gig of the night.

Greasy-spoon cafe at three in the morning trading verbals with truckers dissing your long hair.

Humping the gear on stage, playing whilst ducking cans and plastic glasses, humping your gear off stage.

Doing the song in a different key with no warning, worse - the random keyboard's key-change mid-song.

Being told the money has gone on ex's and so yah have to sleep in the van tonight boys. Outside his hotel.

Playing for drunks who are more interested in their shouted conversations than your musical masterpieces.

Or

Audition, boot-camp, final-12, win X-factor, kow-tow to Cowell. Make "commercial" muzak.

No wonder so many give up early on in their creative careers.....

Guest and Therminonik

I thought you might find this interesting: Here are Rage Against the Machine on BBC radio, performing live and upsetting the BBC, by not taking out the swearing (about like the Doors on The Ed Sullivan show 40 odd years earlier[biggrin]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/2009/12/rage-against-the-machine-on-br.shtml

Tom Morello is giving the proceeds to Homeless charity Shelter and also a UK charity that helps children buy musical instruments. He has invited Simon Cowell to do the same.

To both their credits Joe, the x factor winner and Tom Morello have both said they appreciate it is not a personal fight between themselves but music on a bigger scale.

Matt

Archived