Gibson Brands Forums

335 or 339?

Silenced Fred

I have played both, for about an hour each at guitar center. This will be an ongoing project to fund it, as I plan on getting a job at either SamAsh or guitar center over the summer and continue while going to college.

That being said, I played the 339, regular top, and a satin finish 335. I like both, but am a little unsure of the size of the 335.

Which one should I go for? I am really impressed with semi hollowbodies and would get one of those.

Playing mainly alternative rock, classic rock, mostly medium gain stuff (would I be getting feedback issues with either one? I only got to play at lower levels at the guitar center)

Thanks

339 is more versatile' date=' suited to what you'll play. And, it's not as big.[/quote']

The only reasone that I would pick the 335 over the 339 is that the vintage sunburst is available in the 339. To get VS in the 335 you'd have to spend 2800. Thats waay too much.

I would get a 335 satin, but I want a proper gloss finish, so I say 339 too, if the VS is definite choice of color.

If I am mistaken' date=' do you get tons of feedback issues with them?[/quote']

Fred, I play my 339 "some" nights within' 3 or 4 feet in front of my "nearly" dimed Blue Angel.

Feedback is NEVER, EVER,

EVER,

a problem, and I'm POSITIVE it wouldn't be with a 335 either.

I would buy a 335 in a heartbeat, if I wanted one. They are one of the greatist guitars ever built. To me it was a size thing, hell the 339 is bigger than an SG, which is bigger than a Les Paul. I just didn't want to fight the girth in some of the smaller stages I end up on from time to time.

Best of luck, pal.....

Murph.

Fred' date=' I play my 339 "some" nights within' 3 or 4 feet in front of my "nearly" dimed Blue Angel.

Feedback is NEVER, EVER,

EVER,

a problem, and I'm POSITIVE it wouldn't be with a 335 either.

I would buy a 335 in a heartbeat, if I wanted one. They are one of the greatist guitars ever built. To me it was a size thing, hell the 339 is bigger than an SG, which is bigger than a Les Paul. I just didn't want to fight the girth in some of the smaller stages I end up on from time to time.

Best of luck, pal.....

Murph.

[/quote']

That was one of my worries, the Guitar Center by me has a used ebony 335, perfect condition, it plays like a dream, for 1899 with case. If I had the money, I would've bought it then.

I hope to get a job over the summer at a guitar center, as you have to be 18, it would only be for a summer job and for the discount [biggrin]

I'm a longtime 335 player and recent 339 owner, here are some thoughts:

These are two completely different guitars, in almost every way except style and construction. Not only are they very different in size, they are completely different in tone also. Both are awesome, but they are different beasts. To generalize from my experience, the 335 is obviously bigger and heavier, but also has a very different voice - more thick mids and a bit of a compressed tone. The 339 is almost the opposite, being not only smaller but featherlight, and projects with a bright, open and airy acoustic tone that's surprising for its size. My 339 is very bright, there's almost a sheen to its acoustic voice. Since they both have Classic 57 pups the differences diminish a bit when plugged in, but the bright punchy attack of the 339 is still a noticeable difference from the more mellow midrange grind of a 335.

On a side note, one thing I've learned having spent some time with the 339 is that I'm not so crazy about the way it rests on my leg when sitting. Standing up it's the most perfectly balanced and comfortable guitar I've ever played...but sitting with it, because of the scaled-down dimensions I find that it's rather low (like a Strat kinda) and while it's not "***-heavy" like a 335 or Les paul, you do tend to rest a bit forward on the horns. I find myself constantly scooting back a little towards the body, finding nyself sitting almost over the neck more than the front horns, if that makes any sense. Not a dealbreaker, but something I didn't notice in the store - only after many practice hours over a couple weeks.

Just some thoughts and opinions, YMMV. Good luck, it's win-win no matter what! :-)

Can't go wrong with either! For me it was size. I'm 5'8" and the 335 is just too darn big for me. Can't wait to see pictures of your new guitar...

Ha, I am 5'7" and the guitar is big, but I love the sound, I am going for the satin ebony finish one, but now it is just a matter of getting the funds together. Thanks everyone

Ha' date=' I am 5'7" and the guitar is big, but I love the sound, I am going for the satin ebony finish one, but now it is just a matter of getting the funds together. Thanks everyone[/quote']

The next Gibson that I buy, either a 335/339 or traditional pro, I'll wait till Christmas season.

Now, the 330 which is usually 2499 is 1999

The traditional pro is 100 cheaper.

The next Gibson that I buy' date=' either a 335/339 or traditional pro, I'll wait till Christmas season.

Now, the 330 which is usually 2499 is 1999

The traditional pro is 100 cheaper.[/quote']

I know I will eventually buy both a 335 and a 339, but right now, I like the 335 better

I've played both and I just feel more comfortable with the bigger 335 body. The 339 is a sweet sounding guitar however.......

The 339 is very nice, but for now, I prefer the tone of the 335, as well as the slim neck on it plays like a dream. The more "mellow" sound of it fits my style more.

Having owned and played many 335s and currently owning a 339...I vote 339. All the benefits of a 335 together with a really awesome price, I paid C$1600 brand new for a beautiful cherry one. Price wasn't a deterrent, if I wanted another 335 that's what I would have bought...but when I sat down to audition the 339 against a few other 339s and 3 335s, I fell in love right away...went into the guitar store expecting just to buy strings and walked out with a new guitar. Beauty! In the words of Murph, 339 is the bomb.

I love my LP, but for some reason, I really hit it off with the Semi Hollows. It gives a different sound. I really like 'em. Hell, I would consider trading in my Studio, but the VMs have very little trade in value. Just gotta start pinching my pennies and hopefully, next year at this time, the 335 will be mine. I am considering the Black Satin finish, but why do they call it transparent? Maybe the red? Good thing they only have two choices in color...

Can't go wrong with either! For me it was size. I'm 5'8" and the 335 is just too darn big for me. Can't wait to see pictures of your new guitar...

Shoot...I'm 5' 8'' too. When you say it was too big is that subjectively too big or just plain too big for someone of that height.

Archived