Gibson Brands Forums

335 or 339?

Silenced Fred

As Jamester says, they are remarkable different so it depends what sound you are looking for.

335 - unbeatable vintage tone

339 - more in your face perhaps and a wider tonal pallette?

All a matter of personal choice.

I went for a 335 and the biggest factor was that I always wanted one - and got a beauty. I'm 6' and it's a big guitar but very comfortable. My other electric is a strat and it feels tiny after the 335.

Either way you'll get something to treasure.

As Jamester says' date=' they are remarkable different so it depends what sound you are looking for.

335 - unbeatable vintage tone

339 - more in your face perhaps and a wider tonal pallette?

All a matter of personal choice.

I went for a 335 and the biggest factor was that I always wanted one - and got a beauty. I'm 6' and it's a big guitar but very comfortable. My other electric is a strat and it feels tiny after the 335.

Either way you'll get something to treasure.[/quote']

See, I like the smoother sound of a 335, it is so good. The 339 is very cool, I will probably get one much later, but I find the 335 to suit my music and my tastes better.

Shoot...I'm 5' 8'' too. When you say it was too big is that subjectively too big or just plain too big for someone of that height.

Well, I guess a little of both. The 335 just feels too big for my body. I probably could get used to it, but the second I played a 339 it felt right for me in terms of size. This could also be due to the fact that I've played nothing bigger than a Les Paul my whole life. So it probably is a combination of both...

Well' date=' I guess a little of both. The 335 just feels too big for my body. I probably could get used to it, but the second I played a 339 it felt right for me in terms of size. This could also be due to the fact that I've played nothing bigger than a Les Paul my whole life. So it probably is a combination of both...

[/quote']

No acoustic guitars?

First of all let me say that I absolutely LOVE the 339.

Withthat being said, I prefer the 335. When I was looking at the Vox Night Train, I had the room full of custom shop Gibsons and some amps to myself. I picked up a gorgeous 335 and just cranked it. It was amazing. I was sitting there with that cranked Vox and 335 for like 2 hours. The tone of the 335 is just sooo nice. The neck pickup has a beautiful clean sound and the bridge pickup also sounds nice clean. Then you add a little gain and it just sings.

I love the feeling of the big body (I only played sitting) and the neck was awesome. Good upper fret access.

I've been GASing for one ever since.

Thanks for the replies,

I do prefer the tone of the 335, it just sounds better to me. The body size is the best, I like the weight and knowing that the guitar is there, I have played on some oddly light guitars and didn't like it because it didn't feel like it was 'there' if that makes any sense

I think I know what I will be doing

Greetings Fred61

I recently purchased a figured top 335 (2Months ago). I was looking at Gretsch country club and Rickenbacker 360.I always liked the 335 as guitar teacher of mine had one years ago and it was a tone monster. I was also looking for a versitle guitar that I could also use for the Gigs I play and a guitar that would compliment my Les Paul standard.

I recieved a call from afriend of mine at the muisc store that they had recieved two ES 335's and they had put one aside for me to play as it was a good one in there opinion. Man !!!!!!!!!!! was it was good one. Bought it in 15 min! unbelieveable tone and it is beautiful. Actually it someways is better than my Les Paul and it is extemely comfortable.

My suggestion is :

If you can spend good hour playing with the guitar it will grow on you. If the dealer can provide you a strap.Play it standing up you will be surprised how comfortable it is.

Great guitar a true classic.[crying]

Yeah, it has grown on me a ton. I really like them, they sound amazing.

I have also been listening/ playing a ton of Foo Fighters, Grohl has a sig model. For whatever reason, I find it ironic, he was drummer for Nirvana, played guitar to pass the time, now he is highly respected on both drums and guitar, writes decent lyrics and everything.

I really like how comfortable it is to play standing up, the size isn't much of a deterrent for me, When I played it, I fell in love.

My local GC has one used for 1900, they keep it semi hidden, and I am hoping it is still there when I have the funds.

Maybe I should start a charity, donate for my guitar [crying]

For those in the know: I really want a guitar it plays amazing. I can't play any other guitar because no other guitar is good enough. I emailed gibson and asked if they could send me one out, but they said no. I asked them very nicely. i just got out of a drug habit, i really want to play this for my dad. please help

#-o

For those in the know: I really want a guitar it plays amazing. I can't play any other guitar because no other guitar is good enough. I emailed gibson and asked if they could send me one out' date=' but they said no. I asked them very nicely. i just got out of a drug habit, i really want to play this for my dad. please help

[biggrin

I knew Fred was Curtis Adkins!!!!!

p.s. Did you ask since the 90's and send emails and letters?

I knew Fred was Curtis Adkins!!!!!

p.s. Did you ask since the 90's and send emails and letters?

Damn you caught me [cool]

gibsonlespaul1319 likes to.... wait wrong thread? Craaaaaaaaaaaaaapppp.....

Oh well' date=' I think I am definitely going for a Sheraton II hopefully buy before the summer. Then save up for a 335 from there. If it is good enough for Sear, it is good enough for me [cool

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update in case anyone is wondering: still 335-less, BUT I brought my parents into the Guitar Center and they really liked the used 335 sound wise. They said it looked nice and my birthday is in a few months [biggrin]

I think I will go with the 335 now, then buy a Strat, then a 339.

I almost pissed myself laughing, the guy at guitar center is trying to push the 339s, he said that he would never trust a 335, only a 339 because it is built in the custom shop. I was going to bring up the whole "different custom shop" argument, but it would have been futile.

If anyone wants to send me some money, or a 335 I will give you my address [biggrin]

• 1 month later...

Shameless bump [-(

But are the 335s built in the Custom Shop? Because from what I heard, the older ones (ie 90s, early 2000s) weren't. Those were standard production, but I notice that they are now filed under the Custom Shop section in catalogues....

Just askin' really wanting one right now, but gotta save for college and the sort so it will be a little while longer

It's because of the size that I LIKE the 335. I enjoy that bigger size guitar.

Also getting it to feed back is a reason I enjoy a semi-hollow guitar. There are a couple of songs our band does and we let the guitar feed back at certain points on purpose - think of a dramatic pause.

I can control the feed back by how much pressure I put on the guitar top and covering the F holes as well as the guitar volume and location near the amp. It's almost an art form that I am constantly learning.

Quick update in case anyone is wondering: still 335-less' date=' BUT I brought my parents into the Guitar Center and they really liked the used 335 sound wise. They said it looked nice and my birthday is in a few months. [/quote']

......gasp...you have awesome parents...in the sense that, they like the sound of the guitar.

my parents insist that they are tone deaf, when I tell them to listen to me playing, and my sibling says, that what I play sounds like noise....

damn...

but...they always say it looks nice in my opinion.

[bored]

I've never played a 339, though I did consider those when looking at semi's. I went with a 335, have had it for a month now, and it's all I expected/hoped it would be. The 335 is the standard bearer among semi's. I knew I'd only be able to get one, so I didn't want to get anything else, otherwise I'd always be wondering. They are really amazing guitars. All the other electrics I have (Strats, LP) have pretty small bodies. I love the big body by comparison. When you pickup the 335, there's no mistaking what you have in your hands! Major cool factor!!

......gasp...you have awesome parents...in the sense that' date=' they like the sound of the guitar.

my parents insist that they are tone deaf, when I tell them to listen to me playing, and my sibling says, that what I play sounds like noise....

damn...

but...they always say it looks nice in my opinion.

[lol

Doubt I'm getting it for my birthday, they just said it was nice.

I think I am going to go to Community College, I have one of the top rated in the US right near me, and since it is fairly cheap, I will save some money by going there, and it will be going towards a 335 [biggrin]

My parents think most of what I play is "crap"....Oh well

Doubt I'm getting it for my birthday' date=' they just said it was nice.

I think I am going to go to Community College, I have one of the top rated in the US right near me, and since it is fairly cheap, I will save some money by going there, and it will be going towards a 335 [biggrin

My parents think most of what I play is "crap"....Oh well

[biggrin][lol][lol]

[biggrin][lol][cool]

Seriously though. I have played a few Sheratons, I like 'em and plan on getting one. Different from a 335 though, I like both separately. I like the idea of versatility and having one I don't mind getting a little more beat up. I hate to say it, but there are sometimes I would rather play a cheaper guitar at some concerts than a more expensive one.

We just played a high school basketball game. It was against our rival school, and there were a good number of cops on hand. Standing on the floor, I worried about not only my guitar getting hit by a ball or a person, but also, that I might have to whack someone with it, if things started getting crazy. I mean, there were nearly a few fights.

I like em both though

The middle and bridge position of the 339 are great (especially with tone reduced to 6 or 7 for the bridge).

I would want the neck pickup of the 339 to have a deeper low end and smoother sound. Actually closer to the legendary neck pickup of a 335.

How could i get that ?

I thought I could use an RC booster to shape it or a kind of fat boost...may be both.

Seriously though. I have played a few Sheratons' date=' I like 'em and plan on getting one. Different from a 335 though, I like both separately. I like the idea of versatility and having one I don't mind getting a little more beat up. I hate to say it, but there are sometimes I would rather play a cheaper guitar at some concerts than a more expensive one.

We just played a high school basketball game. It was against our rival school, and there were a good number of cops on hand. Standing on the floor, I worried about not only my guitar getting hit by a ball or a person, but also, that I might have to whack someone with it, if things started getting crazy. I mean, there were nearly a few fights.

I like em both though[/quote']

True. I suppose.

The Epi Sherri's seem nice, the only thing that bugs me and I know this may just be me being picky, but I don't like the inlay design on the Sheraton's.

If it were up to me, I would buy an Epi Lucille.

But more power to ya!

Archived