Gibson Brands Forums

How many guitars do you want? (realistically)

Tim Plains

About 15, practically. That amount, without duplicates (who really needs five different Les Pauls?) should cover practically every guitar sound I can think of.

That's real handy for studio work.

What would be really great, though, is if Gibson would intoduce the Les Paul Special Push-Tone. Swap between humbuckers, mini-humbuckers, and P-90s without changing strings. That would take the place of three guitars. I know they make the Les Paul Standard Push-Tone, but I'd prefer the lighter weight Les Paul Special.

I want twins for all my guitars. I own 9 and need 3 twins.

I am paranoid one will get damaged and I'll be looking desperately for a replacement.

I always have an eye out for bargains on staple guitars. You can always use them to barter for something you prefer, or they can be handed down. I don't have kids yet, but if one proves worthy through hard work and dedication on a crap guitar, a GOOD guitar would make a killer gift.

Wow...that is a loaded question. I have 14 now. Out of those I can honestly say there are 2 that if somebody offered my the the right amount of money, I'd let them go. The others have to stay in the collection.

I'd like to get a Fender Jazzmaster. One to be twin of my jaguar or to be blonde with a maple neck and gold hardware and brushed brass PG. I want a Fender Telecaster Plus to match my Strat Plus (blackburst w/ maple neck). Black LP custom, LP STD Iced Tea plain top, PRS SC, PRS Custom 24, White Gibson Explorer, White Gibson ES 175 w/ gold hardware, Ibanez Prestige 5 string bass, Warwick 5 string Corvette, White Gibson V, Jackson KV2, Jackson USA Rhoades, ESP or LTD Alexi model, ESP KH-2 (neck thru), and finally a Ken Lawrence Explorer to be the crown jewel.

I plan of getting a ESP/LTD EC-256 (aged black) to make an Iron Cross replica and one of those Carvin builder kits.

I need to get a good acoustic but only 1 cuz I don't play them that often. Either a Breedlove or Taylor.

That puts the count at 33 guitars and basses assuming I don't sell off the other 2. I'd say that is enough and a relistic nummber. In reality, assuming everything continues as is financially, I will definitely have the Carvin, the LTD EC 256, one of the LPs and hopefully the Ken Lawrence. My wife has already said that when it's midlife crisis time and our kids are out of college and on their own, that I can get the Ken Lawrence. Just 19 years to go!!

Realistically? One (optionally two).

One electric (essential) and one acoustic (optional; I can't play acoustic to save my life).

Realistically; my ideal electric I've (finally) found.

Realistically; my ideal acoustic would be something like a Martin 00-18, 000-18 or something like an old Gibson LG-1 or L-5.

(Cloud-cuckoo-land I'd find Brockburst's twin and, er, an old Gibson LG-1 or L-5...)

Yes, it's sad, but collecting is my passion. I have something like 18 guitars now with no plans to get rid of any. Two weeks ago I just purchases a Heritage H 150 Custom. I figure I'd like to eventually add an ES 339, and a Fender Telecaster and that should do it for me. Of course, if I were to run into an L5S, that might be interesting also...

I am at 11, but it will never be enough. I said that I would stop at 10 and that lasted for about 4 months.

My wife and family do not understand GAS. I have officially run out of room - it is the cases that are the killer. But I now hanker for a Gibson acoustic, a cherry LP Jr double cut, and a Dan Armstrong Ampeg.

After that........mmmm. Telecaster is still a possibility.

I would love to add a cherry double cut wrap around bridged Special to my collection. I also have a travel acoustic Martin not pictured.

P1010003.jpg

For some odd reason, I've never liked playing strats. As far as an all out carved top Les Paul, they seem pretentious to me. If I could play better, I wouldn't hesitate, but for a hack like me, it's too much to spend. It's like buying an $8,000 road bike and riding around the neighborhood.

Enough to get the sounds I need/want. I've got it covered pretty well with two LPs (one for slide one for standard) a Strat, a Tele, and 6 and 12 string acoustics.

However, I'd like something with P90s and maybe something with mini humbuckers. I'd say add if I had a Firebird and a Special/Junior I'd be set.

When I do lust after another LP (such as when Tim creates a picture thread), it's to upgrade/replace one that I have.

Well...

I'd like a couple more.

I've got steel and nylon EA, a nice jazz box, a nice board with humbuckers that can triple for jazz country and rock, a decent 12 with a soundhole pickup and a semi hollow I don't care much for.

I'd like a decent semi. If they made Teles with a Gibson neck it'd be nice. <grin> But somewhat more seriously, perhaps also a board with P90s or something similar.

If I could find a Jazz bass with about a fret shorter neck.

A real, old-style Flamenco guitar with wood tuning pegs. A thin hollowbody nylon with really good piezos. Okay, a Rick 12 or a 335 in 12 would be neat to have, too. A floating neck pickup version of the 175 with a volume knob I could turn with my pinkie while pickin'.

And if I had something with a neck I liked to convert to a 7-string (doubling the G an octave up) like I converted played in the 60s would be nice to have again. F-hole with an add-on magnetic pickup or two so it could go either E or A.

But then the Izzy factor enters: Yeah, I'd like dupes of everything. <chuckle>

When I'm pickin' in public it's usually the not-so-hot semi or the jazz box, sometimes the board.

m

I own my Les Paul Studio and my beginner's Epiphone SG Special at the moment and something that I desperately need is spare time to play ''Steven'', not another guitar.

However, different sides of my personality keep screamin for their satisfaction, so there I go (and I do keep in mind ''realistically''):

1. For my metal side: Gibson Flying V, with Seymour Duncan Custom-5 in the Bridge.

2. For my Richie Blackmore sounds: Fender Stratocaster Olympic White, large 70's headstock, no middle pick-up.

3. for my Bluesy side: Gibson ES-335

4. for a back-up of my Les Paul and as a tribute to Tony Iommi: Gibson SG '61 R.I.

5. perhaps I can throw in there a nice medium-size accoustic for the family outings.

That pretty much wraps it up.

Well, I'm learning that I could do a lot more with what I have, (Gibson LP studio & nice Fender acoustic) so there's no excuse for wanting more. But...

For hollow/ semi-hollow rock & jazz sounds:

526041.jpg

"Backup" for the LP I have:

111.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFxyawHOe6w6ikpHEGEcRLaD8bKTg

To round things out:

Solid body with single coils (Tele? LP Jr? Melody Maker? Strat? )

Currently have:

Firebird V

Telecaster HH carved top

Gibson J200

To complement (also known as "wishlist"):

Les Paul 1960 ReIssue

ec525756-757c-4d87-81b5-1b222fbf1299.jpg

A super nice Gibson pre-war L5 or 400

3047.jpg

Gretsch 6196T "Lounge Lizard"

G6196T_md.jpg

One of the lace sensored pickup'd Fender Strats.... (huge fan of the sound of Clapton's 24 Nights)

Last, but not least...

L5CES, Super 400 or Citation...

f569b910-d5a3-4931-9803-4be771dcb779.jpg

Archived