Gibson Brands Forums

Dirty Finger or Not? Maybe Shaw? Whats This Code?

slimpotatoes

Hello, new member and first thread.

Recently picked up an '83 LP Firebrand "The Paul" Deluxe which appears to be a two piece mahogany body, single piece neck and all in transparent red. The pickups are uncovered, black bobbin pups with the flat-head screw posts on the outboard and the slugs inboard. The neck and bridge pickups have the PAT NO 2 737 842 stamped into the base plates and also black ink sets of numbers. The neck has 422 582 and the bridge numbers are smudged. The first three are maybe 345 or 245 but the second three are 980.

Does anyone have, with any amount of certainty, an idea of the type of pickups these may be?

Again, they appear to be original as this guitar is all original and beat to hell.

Thanks, Dave

Hello' date=' new member and first thread.

Recently picked up an '83 LP Firebrand "The Paul" Deluxe which appears to be a two piece mahogany body, single piece neck and all in transparent red. The pickups are uncovered, black bobbin pups with the flat-head screw posts on the outboard and the slugs inboard. The neck and bridge pickups have the PAT NO 2 737 842 stamped into the base plates and also black ink sets of numbers. The neck has 422 582 and the bridge numbers are smudged. The first three are maybe 345 or 245 but the second three are 980.

Does anyone have, with any amount of certainty, an idea of the type of pickups these may be?

Again, they appear to be original as this guitar is all original and beat to hell.

Thanks, Dave[/quote']

The 3XX denotes the bridge or neck the 980 = September 1980.... the other would indicate 582 = May 1982..... They could be Shaw pups.... Take a look at the soldering on the potentiometers to see if its pristine and undisturbed. If it is, chances are those are the original pups.

My 1980 LPC have stamped "PAT. NO. 2,737,842" with an additional ink-stamp of "137580" on both pick-ups, which would indicate T-shaws. But whats confusing is the 137 would indicate a neck pick-up, and 580 = May 1980. So I have two neck pups in my guitar . But they sound entirely different from one another.

Archived