Gibson Brands Forums

were hummingbirds ever slope shouldered?

jannusguy

It looks like a square shouldered guitar to me, not a round shouldered one. The large soundhole pickup is throwing the perspective off a bit...as is the larger than normal bridge...is my take on it. The shoulders would not line up as parellel as they seem to with the body part of the guitar (below the saddle) if it was a round shouldered bell shaped Gibson.

At least that's how I see it.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Maybe it's the angle the picture was taken' date=' but to me, that body doesn't seem to have the right proportions for a Gibson slope. The lower body seems too narrow. What do you think, jannusguy?

Red 333[/quote']

QM quote-"It looks like a square shouldered guitar to me, not a round shouldered one. The large soundhole pickup is throwing the perspective off a bit. The shoulders would not line up as parellel with the body part of the guitar (below the saddle) if it was a round shouldered bell shaped Gibson."

i gotta say, looks like a slope to me, fellas. modded CW or SJN seem like the right answer from what i see. still, intriguing. 1800.00 though? nah....

Jannusguy-Try this one. Open up the e-bay window in the first post and then line the window up to the avatar (or whatever its called) identifying photo of your round shouldered Gibson that appears when you post. With the two photos side by side...the Hummingbird photo from the e-bay window next to the photo of your round shouldered Gibson in your ID photo...you'll be able to see that the Hummingbird's shoulders are significantly wider than the rounded shoulders of the photo of your guitar. You'll see how the width of the Hummingbird's shoulders match the bottom width of the bottom bout of the Hummingbird guitar whereas the rounded shoulders of your guitar are in comparison much narrower than the bottom bout of your guitar. Based on this, I'm reading the e-bay photo of the Hummingbird to indeed be square shouldered rather than round shouldered? Try the comparison and let me know what you think.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hiya' date=' Rob. According to Gib Fab Flats, the Bird was introduced in 60 as a square shoulder model. Gib did make a Nat'l finsih slope SJ (The CW) from 57-60 or ther'bouts. Plain PG, tho. Whatever this is, is miscegnated.[/quote']

"Misceg-what-ed?" Is that like a pig in a poke?

Never known anyone to purposely replace a OEM bridge with an adjustable one though.

Red is right--doesn't look proportional, and I don't think it's the angle. I doubt this is a Gibson in the first place and I suspect the pg is a knockoff as well. Bad picture for someone to post trying to sell an expensive guitar. No detail pics or description. Feedback of seven. Bogus.

You might be right...I don't like the way the photo cuts off the guitar's headstock and Gibson name. I am now leery, too of the guitar being legit. By now we should have all agreed on what it is and yet there is still a discomfort level from all of us on the guitar. Gotta go with that gut feeling.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Red is right--doesn't look proportional' date=' and I don't think it's the angle. I doubt this is a Gibson in the first place and I suspect the pg is a knockoff as well. Bad picture for someone to post trying to sell an expensive guitar. No detail pics or description. Feedback of seven. Bogus. [/quote']

That was my original thought based on the how the body looked to me. I may indeed be wrong, but if I had to guess just based only on the one, head stock-less photo, I would say it's a Japanese copy guitar from the "lawsuit era." I certainly wouldn't bid on it without a few more pics, anyway, or more info from the seller.

Red 333

That was my original thought based on the how the body looked to me. I may indeed be wrong' date=' but if I had to guess just based only on the one, head stock-less photo, I would say it's a Japanese copy guitar from the "lawsuit era." I certainly wouldn't bid on it without a few more pics, anyway, or more info from the seller.

Red 333[/quote']

you mean "nice, nice, nice" wasn't enough for you?

Archived