Gibson Brands Forums

a vintage Gibson Firebird

Jeannette Nemeth

I'm new to Forums....will wade through and hope I do the correct thing...I have in my home a broken neck at the nut Gibson Firebird belonging to my son. He used it while in a High school..little group. I am looking to have it repaired for him as he is at the age he needs a break from stress..and what is better than a fine guitar to take your mind away...so I came to the Gibson site...found this forum...would appreciate any information...help anyone may give me. I did send an email to he Gibson people. thank you..Jeannette Hope I can find my way back here...:-({|=

Hi Jeanette. Sorry to hear about the Firebird. Gibson does do good work, but you are not limited to them alone. There are a lot of luthiers who do these repairs very well. You might want to try calling some local shops and asking for recommendations of luthiers who could do the repair for you. Ask to see some examples of the luthier's work, and ensure that he has experience with Gibson guitars and their finishes. I think you will find that if you call a few shops, one or two names will keep coming up, and that should indicate that they do good work. If you are still unsure or daunted by calling around, you can post the town or city where you live here and I will ask around on a couple of forums for you and see if I can find a good recommendation for you.

Goodmorning from snow covered East Jordan MI, up near Petoskey and Charlevoix..., I think I am in the right place to answer mail?? Thanks for answering me..I did email to Gibson. And yes I would indeed be interested in anyone that does excellent repair work. I have visited Elderly Inst. in Lansing quite a few years back, but feel someone that has had repairs and are satisfied with them, would send me to the right person . I just looked over the Gibson I have here, and it is a Reverse firebird...with two pickups..and dot inlay. ..I bought it for son used....back in 1966 or 67??? The Gibson has a redish sign on the white wing..but Gibson name on the headstock is missing, because as I looked it over I could see the break point is a rather thin area ..and the person that repaired it ..has sanded it off when he worked on the head break point area. It looks like he drilled 4 holes down into the head area and insterted and glued wooden rods there..you can see a bit of the metal neck brace sticking out. All the rest of the bird is there in the case that has a orange velvet lining. It seems to be in good shape ...the only thing missing is the little cap for the switch. If there is something I need to check out on it, just let me know. Thanks again....

Jeannette

Hi Jeannette. I will ask on the Les Paul Forum for some names for you. It is one of the greatest resources for info on Les Pauls and Gibsons, but can be a pain to join. So you don't have to join it, I will ask for you and post the replies I get back here. It sounds like a very nice guitar, and I am sure someone will be able to do a more professional repair job and refinish the damaged area for you. Hang in there, it may take a day or two, but I will get some information for you.

Cheers

There I posted your request, and I also asked about where to get an original or good reproduction switch tip for it also. You might need to take some photos of the guitar and break areas in order to get advice/quotes. I asked for someone in your area, and if not in your area I asked for phone numbers or e-mail addresses so you can contact them.

Jeannette, I sent you an e-mail through the forums. You should be able to click on the 'Inbox' button at the top right of the page to read it. It should be enough to get you started. I will get some more information for you too. Let me know when you get the e-mail.

Archived