Gibson Brands Forums

upgrades?

ask28

It all depends what you want/expect from changing pickups.

Seymour Duncans don't sound "better" than BBs, they just sound different.

I love the BBs in my 07 Standard. They sound open and rich.

That being said, my favourite guitar, and my benchmark for tone, is a Standard with a Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo.

The JB has more punch than the BB Pro, and the 59 sounds a bit more defined.

Bottom line : if you like the sound of your guitar with BBs, it's probably best to keep them. If you're not happy with the sound, Duncans are a good upgrade.

Both BBs and BBPros are top flight pickups. Do you have a certain style or sound in mind?

Do you already have stock BBs or are you replacing some other pups?

One thing I don't like about SDs is the logo on the uncovered ones. Just my preference. The 59s don't have logos, but that's not a good place to start when selecting a pup!

The Duncans I have are very good and well made and well worth the money. I also have a Gibson with the original BBs that I wouldn't change as I love their tone. There is a flourishing second hand market place for Duncans on ebay as the 'pup changers' keep changing their mind! Best thing is to have a good trawl through the Seymour Duncan website.

Do you think that Seymour Duncan Pick-up upgrades are worth it? What would be the advantages over the BB's?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

I recommend Bare Knuckle pickups. I'm going with the Mules.....

Check out this Cat's tone...

I recommend Bare Knuckle pickups. I'm going with the Mules.....Check out this Cat's tone...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7bBU3LSf8&feature=user

Sweeet!

Every day I'm more tempted to swap out my Classic's 496/500T combo for something warmer. I must admit those demos have given me some thought. What do you guys think of the '57 Classic & Classic Plus combo? Any opinions on the S-D Pearly Gates?

Yes' date=' I have 490 and 498 in a Custom Shop LP that sound really muddy - I was thinking of replacing them with BBs. Maybe even change the pots to splitters/phase changers - but then I would need 4 wire PUs.[/quote']

that was my issue with my Classic. i like the BB Pros in my Std Faded and Gibson doesnt make BB or 57s as 4 conductor, so i ordered some boutique ones (which are actually cheaper than buying BBs depending on who you buy them from). i hope to drop my Classic off today and get them installed. i need my Classic to sound like a LP.

Archived