Gibson Brands Forums

My Old School

cookieman15061

Well time is relentless. This is the last year my old high school will exist. Dwindling enrollment has forced a merger with another school district along with different name and colors. I had the honor of playing football on the same field as my father, brothers and sons. During halftime of the final home game all former players were called onto the field by year. I played there 30 years ago but as I stood on the 50 yard line with my family it brought back alot of memories.

Nothing last forever but suddenly I'm feelin a little old.

Here's a pic of my brother, My 2 boys and myself before walking on the field.

celler20n20football20night200242021.jpg

Cookie...

My last two years of high school were at a boarding school in Mass. that no longer exists. My current avatar was the school crest.

Out here a lotta small high schools have been merged over the years. The era when science, math, history, lit, music and languages all were taught in schools with enrollment of 50 are long gone. Mostly, any way. I know kids who drive 30-50 miles a day one way for school. In winter some just find a place to board in town - and the school district helps cover the cost of boarding.

m

Bad/Sad news cookieman - know how you're feeling.....

My old school, after 350 years on the same spot in the heart of London, was moved out of The Smoke to Potters Bar, waaay out in the boondocks. Worse yet - when I took a look at the old place a few years later it had been flattened, the site tarmac'd over and a flea market put in it's place. So many memories, all turned to rubble, dust and debris.

Yah have to start lookin' to the future at times like that - the past really is long gone.....

Archived