Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone here a JJ Cale fan?

Gilliangirl

I have loved JJ Cale since the first time I ever heard Cajun Moon way way back....... 1974 maybe?

Anyway, I just found out that he had a new album out back in May of this year. So I listened to a few tracks on YouTube and it's really good! If you like classic JJ, you'll like it. Here's two songs, and a number of the others are on YouTube as well. It's now on my list of CD's to pick up (along with Dave Rawlings, which is still on backorder!)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtaLMpAK_-M&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aZaVIThxu8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Karen' date='

I love his version of Mr Breeze, especially when you compare it to the much more famous one by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Fred[/quote']

I LOVE his version of that song. I think he wrote it, didn't he? Well I have to go find that now.....

I'm a big, giant, huge, gargantuan, large, humongous, big fan of J.J. One of the most incredible-but-under-the-radar American masters ever. Been a fan since the '70s. I've only seen him perform once, and that was at the Whiskey in Hollywood in '81. The show started at 1:30 AM and went to about 4:00. Gotta love it. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

It blew me away when he and Clapton did "Road to Escondido" since I had wished for years that they would record together. I think I could listen to "Head's in Georgia" a hundred times in a row. Hell, maybe I have! :)

Thanks for the heads-up, Karen!!!

Cale-Clapton.jpg

Spent most of the seventies trying to play like Cale and Cooder (which was weird with my main mentor!).

Kieran White used to do Cajun Moon (even issued it on his Open Door album), and one of the delights of my life was accompanying him on that track whenever I could..... treasured happy memories, tinged with sadness.

11774.jpg

Good for you, Karen! I've been a Cale fan for 30 years or more. He's probably the best guitar player you've never heard of! So many recordings as a session guitar player, as own his own. Many "trade-mark" licks. Remember "Hurt So Good" by Linda Ronstadt in the late '70's? Yea, that lead guitar part, J.J. Cale! How about Neil Young's "Comes A Time" album, The song "Look Out For My Love", yep, again J.J. Cale! His collaboration with Eric Clapton has been a long one. From his days with Cream and the Bluesbreakers, J.J. Cale and Clapton were jammin' buddies. Their latest venture "The Road To Escondido" was purchased by me as soon as the store opened! Research his music catalog, you'll find many exceptionally good recordings. Many of which were copied by numerous other rock, and rythym and blues bands of the '80's and '90's.

[cool]

I became aware of J.J. Cale back in the seventies when I realized that he was the songwriter of the mega-hits that Clapton had with "After Midnight", and Skynyrd had with "Call Me The Breeze". I will also say that I prefer his original versions to the covers by the above named artists. Sometimes in takes "exposure" in that way to bring the songwriter into prominence as a performer/recording artist.

Clapton doing "I shoot The Sheriff" also first brought my attention to Bob Marley, and Manfred Mann's Earth Band's covers of Springsteen songs were hits before most people had ever heard of Bruce. I've always been a liner notes reader, and there is a lot to be learned from reading and studying information inside the jacket cover.

Archived