Gibson Brands Forums

Mini humbuckers

Oringo

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference (besides the adjustable pole pieces, ) between Firebird mini-humbuckers and the Epiphone-Les Paul Special type mini-humbuckers? I read somewhere that the Firebird pick-ups were just "simplified" Epiphones, but I've never had a Les Paul/Epiphone one apart,so I haven't been able to compare. Anyone seen these under the covers?

P.S. just found out for myself the spread between the mounting tabs is wider on the Firebird pups.

Calling on any Firebird fanatics out there. I've been disappointed by the sound of a "bitza" non-reverse 3 pup Firebird I picked up recently, and I"d like to upgrade the pickups. I've got one authentic Gibson mini-humbucker, one Seymour Duncan SM3, and I'm trying to decide what to put in the third spot (the guitar came with a couple of no-name 4 wire mini-humbuckers besides the Duncan) Anyone have any experience with aftermarket Firebird pickups? I'm thinking of a Kent Armstrong, but as the pickguard is a replacement, I'm wondering if I might not throw in a P-90 in the middle position. (I've already got a wicked wiring system figured out that will allow me any combo plus phase inversion with the mid pup without changing the outside appearance of the guitar.)

I have no ownership experience of the mini hums, but have owned the triple P-90 version after comparing both. My preference was for the P-90's, however the mini-hums were very good sounding and what I would consider hot (a good thing)!. Comparatively, most epihone pickups I have played were never hotter than their Gisbon counter parts...

• 2 weeks later...

Still hoping to find a pickup guru out there who's got experience with mini-humbuckers-I understand Gibson went from Alnico to ceramic magnets on the Firebird at some point. Anyone know when that was?

Anyone have first hand experience with different era Gibson Firebird pickups vs. aftermarket Seymour Duncan SM1, 2 & 3 vs. Lollar vs. Kent Armstrong? (I've even seen a couple NOS Bill Lawrence 80's era mini humbuckers on sale)

What kind of pots are Gibson using these days on Firebird re-issues 300k's?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

• 1 year later...

Chiming in late on this thread, but Firebird pickups aren't mini-humbuckers, they're Firebird pickups.

The difference being that mini-hums have individual pole-pieces and Firebird pickups are two solid bars within each coil. Hence the solid cover that doesn't reveal the poles.

Hmmm...I don't dispute the fact that the firebird PUs are not mini humbuckers, but I've had extensive experience with both, including a 1975 Les Paul with mini humbuckers and it was tough to tell the difference. The bird does have slightly more gain, however.

-Kev

Archived