Gibson Brands Forums

Is this SG legit?

Gibsonfreak909

A bit of a late post but....

Just had a good look at my '61-RI, the bridge looks the same to me, my TRC is 2-ply b-w not single ply black.

The control cavity looks to be wired differently from mine... my one is much neater and the wires from the P/U's have their ground braids both soldered to neck P/U volume control, all the bare wire (except for the stopbar/bridge grounding cable) are shielded with yellow plastic sleeving including the caps wires, the pots have "Gibson" written on back of them and the one on E-Bay looks like the soldering on the pots has been de-soldered at some point for whatever reason and badly soldered back.

Odd that the 2 very useful photos (serial No. and Control Cavity) are mysteriously out of focus…hmmm.

If you ever have the feeling that something is either too good to be true or for some reason you feel uncomfortable about it's authenticity or you have any doubts about the seller acting a bit shady then just walk away from it... your instincts are probably right.

Your SG looks pretty legit to me, I'm not an expert but I have owned 3 or 4.

Looks to me like our little Chinese friends, maybe from the Epiphone factories, are turning out a bunch of forgeries.

Some of the vendors will tell you that they are "copies" and made in China. Even though they are stamped "Made In USA".

I looked at a lot of these and the serial numbers are the same on many, even different models, and others are just out of line, like the 540th day of the year...... or the last 3 digits start with 0.

Some of the Les Paul Supremes look very good till you take a look at the "globe" on the headstock, the real Gibsons have brass inlay that looks like the continents and the fakes don't.

Archived