Gibson Brands Forums

My new Gibson LP Classic

zeppelinled

hey everyone, this is my first post here.

this is my new guitar, i bought it about two weeks ago.

its had a few mods:

the nut has been replaced with a brass one

the tone caps have been replaced with grey tigers

and the wiring to the pickup switch has been replaced with gibson braided

here are some pics

01 Gibson LP classic:

gibsonlespaul004.jpg

gibsonlespaul005.jpg

bodyfront.jpg

gibsonlesppp005.jpg

gibsonlesppp001.jpg

controlcavity.jpg

gibsonlesppp009.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey guys one thing i've noticed on mine thats been a little different form other classics i've seen is that the

Truss rod cover sits a little closer to the nut, (notice how mine almost touches the nut) others i've seen have a little tiny gap between the two. does anyone know why this is so? thanks. i'm guessing that the brass nut (not being stock) is a little chunkier and makes it touch. I dont know....

cheers.

i bought it like that.

i prob would have done them anyway mate' date=' better tone caps (grey tigers)

brass nut seems to sustain more

and the braided wire going to the switch i don't know lol[/quote']

Yeah. Stock caps are pretty low key,shall we say.But the ceramics do the job. Do you ride your vol/tone controls much?

Surprised to see a brass nut,thought they were extinct these days.[crying]

hey guys one thing i've noticed on mine thats been a little different form other classics i've seen is that the

Truss rod cover sits a little closer to the nut' date=' (notice how mine almost touches the nut) others i've seen have a little tiny gap between the two. does anyone know why this is so? thanks. i'm guessing that the brass nut (not being stock) is a little chunkier and makes it touch. I dont know....

cheers.[/quote']

I think all TRC's are sitting closer to the nut now.I know they do on LP's anyway.Don't know the reason why though? Anyone...?[cool]

Nothing to do with the brass nut either,doesn't seem to be any difference to me.

Yeah. Stock caps are pretty low key' date='shall we say.But the ceramics do the job. Do you ride your vol/tone controls much?

Surprised to see a brass nut,thought they were extinct these days.[biggrin

hahaha yea, i use the volume and tone controls heaps, it such a great way to dial in the tone you want. i've heard alot of people these days don't use the, all that much. i certainly do! as i said the guy who i bought it off changed the nut toa brass one as he thought it sustained more then the bone.

I think all TRC's are sitting closer to the nut now.I know they do on LP's anyway.Don't know the reason why though? Anyone...?:-k

Nothing to do with the brass nut either,doesn't seem to be any difference to me.

yea i've looked at alot of headstock shots and the TRC's are getting alot closer tot he nut. i thought it might have been a result of the nut change cos, looking at the TRC it looks as though a tiny tiny little bit has been taken off with a file so that it doesn't touch the nut. It looks like its been done by the guy who owned it before me.

Truss rod cover sits a little closer to the nut' date=' (notice how mine almost touches the nut) others i've seen have a little tiny gap between the two.[/quote']

Nice Classics, zeppelinled and CB.

The 1958 and '59 Les Pauls usually had the TRC a distance from the nut. By 1960 it was common for it to be touching the nut.

Perhaps as the Classic was (originally) meant to be based very closely on the 1960 instruments the TRC was placed closer to the nut?

Certainly on both my 1960 Classic and my '60 RI the TRC touches the nut.

I don't know that much about the production history of the Classic but was interested to see on Charlie Brown's guitar the binding in the cut-away was of the wide sort. When did they change from the narrow style, anyone? (My Classic has the narrow style and dates from 1991).

Nice Classics' date=' zeppelinled and CB.

The 1958 and '59 Les Pauls usually had the TRC a distance from the nut. By 1960 it was common for it to be touching the nut.

Perhaps as the Classic was (originally) meant to be based very closely on the 1960 instruments the TRC was placed closer to the nut?

Certainly on both my 1960 Classic and my '60 RI the TRC touches the nut.

I don't know that much about the production history of the Classic but was interested to see on Charlie Brown's guitar the binding in the cut-away was of the wide sort. When did they change from the narrow style, anyone? (My Classic has the narrow style and dates from 1991).

[/quote']

ohk the TRC on the 60's touches the nut, that would explain.

hmm the binding on mine is the wide sort also. i'm not sure of the exact year but from memory reading it somewhere it was 93-94? someone will correct me though.

hmm the binding on mine is the wide sort also. i'm not sure of the exact year but from memory reading it somewhere it was 93-94? someone will correct me though.

That would make sense.

I believe there were few changes made to the Classic at that time to further distance it from the Re-issues.

Archived