Gibson Brands Forums

My new Gibson LP Classic

zeppelinled

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well they aren't as expensice as customs' date=' supremes etc... but they're a lot more expensive then studios, BFG's and all those other models[/quote']True, but that's if they're new.

BTW, I'm working on getting some better pics of mine, so I should have them up by Saturday.[biggrin]

But' date=' as far as "Far East" Epiphones are concerned...

that depends on which ones you're talking about. [/quote']

Oh yeah CB,

The Japanese quality is legendary, not even in the same universe as the rest of the Pacific Rim stuff.

It's true' date=' that until recently, Epiphone were basically another "brand" that was stamped on a

Samick (or other factory) clone guitar. But, the Qingdao factory is turning out a decent product, these days...

for the most part. And, Qingdao will build as good a guitar (any model) as Gibson allows them to. [/quote']

CB, you hit it right on the head!

I think that the key is in understanding the Gibson/Epi differences and the reasons for it.

Then you can weigh the cost difference and decide what's important to you.

I can cite two consistent examples.

Electronics - Not much has changed there.

Gonna need work at some point, and the swap to better stuff requires cutting wood.

Flame tops. Pull out a pickup and see how thin that fancy Maple veneer is.

And it's not glued to Mahogany. The body wood is likely something else, or some variation at best.

And, I love my Classic "bottom of the LP Standard line" too!

I was never really sure what sort of marketing gimmick Gibson was aiming for with that line.

1960 on the pickguard and a skinny neck sorta hinted that it was a reissue.

When they came out, they were priced above the Standard.

I bought mine because it was the only way I could get a slim neck, and the top was better than

ANYTHING hanging in the stores at the time - trust me, I was shopping around.

Oh yeah CB' date='

The Japanese quality is legendary, not even in the same universe as the rest of the Pacific Rim stuff.

CB, you hit it right on the head!

I think that the key is in understanding the Gibson/Epi differences and the reasons for it.

Then you can weigh the cost difference and decide what's important to you.

I can cite two consistent examples.

Electronics - Not much has changed there.

Gonna need work at some point, and the swap to better stuff requires cutting wood.

Flame tops. Pull out a pickup and see how thin that fancy Maple veneer is.

And it's not glued to Mahogany. The body wood is likely something else, or some variation at best.

And, I love my Classic "bottom of the LP Standard line" too!

I was never really sure what sort of marketing gimmick Gibson was aiming for with that line.

1960 on the pickguard and a skinny neck sorta hinted that it was a reissue.

When they came out, they were priced above the Standard.

I bought mine because it was the only way I could get a slim neck, and the top was better than

ANYTHING hanging in the stores at the time - trust me, I was shopping around.

[/quote']My point wasn't that the Classics were cheap, or not of high quality, but that they lack the attention to detail that MOST other LPs have.

Have you ever noticed that the backs are A LOT lighter than those of the rest of the LPs (lack of poor filler). When you look at the finish on anangle. you'll notice that you can see the poors of the wood. Also, I noticed that when I look at the edge of the finish, I can see the rest of the binding (or at least the edge of it) underneith it. That to me shows that they didn't take the time to properly scrape it.

As I said before, I'm NOT knocking Classics (or else I wouldn't have bought one myself), but there are some quality issues that you won't find on most other LPs.

And +1 on the slim neck.

My point wasn't that the Classics were cheap' date=' or not of high quality, but that they lack the attention to detail that MOST other LPs have.

Have you ever noticed that the backs are A LOT lighter than those of the rest of the LPs (lack of poor filler). When you look at the finish on anangle. you'll notice that you can see the poors of the wood. Also, I noticed that when I look at the edge of the finish, I can see the rest of the binding (or at least the edge of it) underneith it. That to me shows that they didn't take the time to properly scrape it.

As I said before, I'm NOT knocking Classics (or else I wouldn't have bought one myself), but there are some quality issues that you won't find on most other LPs.

And +1 on the slim neck.

[/quote']

mine weighs a wee bit over 10 pound, is that light? lol and you meant pores? right? look at any guitar and you'll see 'pores'. take a close look at pictures of other les pauls, whatever model they maybe, there are numerous and vast inconsistencies.

here check this out:: its the back of an lp supreme. notice the non symmetrical heel? as i said they vary right round the board, i've came to that conclusion through observations and learning from others

supreme.jpg

mine weighs a wee bit over 10 pound' date=' is that light? lol and you meant pores? right? look at any guitar and you'll see 'pores'. take a close look at pictures of other les pauls, whatever model they maybe, there are numerous and vast inconsistencies.

here check this out:: its the back of an lp supreme. notice the non symmetrical heel? as i said they vary right round the board, i've came to that conclusion through observations and learning from others

[img']http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/zeppelinled02/supreme.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the spellcheck! And I know that there are inconsistencies between models, but when you put everything together, there are some things that shouldn't have went unchecked/noticed.

When I finally get around to taking more pics, I'll make sure I get some that will better illustrate my point.

And I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, cause' I'm perfectly happy with how awesome Classics are. I'm just trying to give a little better insight into the reason they are where they are on the latter of LPs.

Thanks for the spellcheck! And I know that there are inconsistencies between models' date=' but when you put everything together, there are some things that shouldn't have went unchecked/noticed.

When I finally get around to taking more pics, I'll make sure I get some that will better illustrate my point.

And I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, cause' I'm perfectly happy with how awesome Classics are. I'm just trying to give a little better insight into the reason they are where they are on the latter of LPs.

[/quote']

maybe its just yours hahaha, mines fine apart from the TRC position

classics are NOT bottom of the line guitars.

people under-rate it because of their ceramic pickups.

it can be as good or even better as a standard' date=' the same quality range.[/quote']The pickups are the least of it. I love the pickups in mine (498T/500R I believe). Not too hot, not too mellow.

I think the biggest problem is that I'm a perfectionist, and when I see things from a company/corporation that makes promises about certain things, it makes it hard not to notice.

The pickups are the least of it. I love the pickups in mine (498T/500R I believe). Not too hot' date=' not too mellow.

I think the biggest problem is that I'm a perfectionist, and when I see things from a company/corporation that makes promises about certain things, it makes it hard not to notice.

[/quote']

yea i feel much the same about gibson, they are quite contradictory to what they advocate. but playing the guitar and how it sounds makes removes that grievance.

yea i feel much the same about gibson' date=' they are quite contradictory to what they advocate. but playing the guitar and how it sounds makes removes that grievance.[/quote']That is very true, but here's what I'm talking about.

Improperly scraped binding (this goes ALL the way around the top)

DSC01212.jpg

Improperly fitted cavity covers/Improper routes

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

There are a few other things. but I don't have time to point all of them out.

And I've played A LOT of LP Standards, and never seen anything like this with any of them. Hell, the cavity covers on my Epi LP Standard are air-tight.

I know these are VERY minor (and really don't cause' me to like her any less), but NOT something you'd expect to see on a $2,000 guitar.

OK, I'm done nitpicking. Now to get some money shots!:-k

That is very true' date=' but here's what I'm talking about.

Improperly scraped binding (this goes ALL the way around the top)

[img']http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy306/rockstar232007/DSC01212.jpg[/img]

Improperly fitted cavity covers/Improper routes

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

DSC01218.jpg

There are a few other things. but I don't have time to point all of them out.

And I've played A LOT of LP Standards, and never seen anything like this with any of them. Hell, the cavity covers on my Epi LP Standard are air-tight.

I know these are VERY minor (and really don't cause' me to like her any less), but NOT something you'd expect to see on a $2,000 guitar.

OK, I'm done nitpicking. Now to get some money shots!:-

mines got nothing like that at all. hmmm seems like a dudd, gibson shouldn't have let a guitarlike that go, if its as bad as you say. maybe its fake, i don't know whta other explanation can there be?

indeed!

I dont understand....For 2000 $.;The GUITAR SHOULD BE PERFECT..Damn Even for 1000 $

After all you can buy a good looking guitar for 100$

And Gibson cant be bothered with making their Guitars..Perfect?

I m so angry.....

Soon I ll be playing chainsaw..Cause Apart from all the scumbags that sell fake/broken guitars....Even Gibson...Keeps sending Crap guitars around the world..If I spend 2000 on this..I ll go....And Visit gibson myself...With Fender Belonging to coca cola..And if Gibson Dont Bring Their Quality up..and Their price down.....Then Fok em!

For 2000 Us.;They should all be Custom INSPECTED AT THe VERY LEAST! SHAME ON YOU GIBSON..Yes even The MM s..CHECK THEM..Is that So difficult.;GIBSON?????

Like The Bfg.;Good Guitar..But The rest? I think I could have build a nicer One myself!.;And Spagetti red???? are U insane? Also..Yes..I had gibsons with all kinds of **** wrong with them!My Bfg Almost fell apart after 1 day...Broken damaged..Cases also.damaged...

Ephiphone=Absolutly Horrific.;I heard 1 gold top Les Paul....I wouldn't even use it to busk...Looks nice..Sounds HORRIFIC..truelly bad..

mines got nothing like that at all. hmmm seems like a dudd' date=' gibson shouldn't have let a guitarlike that go, if its as bad as you say. maybe its fake, i don't know whta other explanation can there be?[/quote']It's not fake (believe me, I should know). And it's deffinately NOT a "dud" (I've seen some [of the high-end ones] that were WAY worse). This is just the product of a company with either VERY poor QC, or one that really doesn't care about what goes out the door, because they think/know that people are willing to spend the money on them.

Everything else (the sound, playability, etc) is perfect, so I'm not complaining about that. I just wish that the big-wigs at Gibson would get their heads out of their arses long enough to have people properly check stuff, BEFORE it's leaves the factory floor.

Charlie' date=' I think I saw Neo chiding one of the youngsters for laying their LP on the floor in this fashion. [cool] [/quote']

Settle down saturn. He probably has a matchbox or foam(in my case)underneath the neck/head joint. We're not all silly little kiddies. [woot]

DSC01987.jpg

It's not fake (believe me' date=' I should know). And it's deffinately NOT a "dud" (I've seen some [of the high-end ones'] that were WAY worse). This is just the product of a company with either VERY poor QC, or one that really doesn't care about what goes out the door, because they think/know that people are willing to spend the money on them.

Everything else (the sound, playability, etc) is perfect, so I'm not complaining about that. I just wish that the big-wigs at Gibson would get their heads out of their arses long enough to have people properly check stuff, BEFORE it's leaves the factory floor.

i couldn't agree more

Charlie' date=' I think I saw Neo chiding one of the youngsters for laying their LP on the floor in this fashion. [/quote']

I'm certain CB would know the perils and act accordingly.

It can be done, especially by somebody who knows what's going on.

Young 'uns on the other hand, for lack of a clue....

[cool]

I'm certain CB would know the perils and act accordingly.

It can be done' date=' especially by somebody who knows what's going on.

Young 'uns on the other hand, for lack of a clue....

[blink

Just FYI...

Actually, there IS a piece of black felt, folded several times, underneath the body

and neck joint (behind the heel, out of sight of the camera) to allow the headstock

to just barely touch the carpet. So, (maybe) it looks worse, than it really is?! ;>)

CB

Archived