Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson DC Problems

fergieman

Hi Guys

I purchased a Double Cutaway - new , around 2000/2001 - but Ive always had problems with it.

When I move the volumes/tone controls , or flick the rythmn or treble switch - the guitar makes alot of cracking noises and sometime even cuts out.

The guitar was doing this from day one , and even though the shop "reparied it" , the problem never went away.

I was a bit young and native back then , and never should of left the shop with a new guitar with problems - but I was eager to get it home and start jammin' with it - I hoped the problems would pass.

Anyway, does any one know what I can do to try and fix the problem ? I'm good with a soldering iron if that helps things ?

Hope to hear your opinions.....

F

Have you tried a new cable?

When you move the cable,especially near the guitar jack does it still do it?

Is your jack socket loose?

Is everything shielded properly inside-wires not touching other bare wires or pots,connections.

Pups - same for them.

This is basically a process of elimination...

Well pull it apart mate and start searching. Or otherwise just take it back to the shop and tell them to finish the job properly this time. And then find yourself a fair dinkum guitar tech who cares and knows what he's doing.

Im looking to see if any one else has experienced this problem. I'm not looking for smart a s s no help answers.

Im looking to see if any one else has experienced this problem. I'm not looking for smart a s s no help answers.

its not an smart a** answear. it called to explore the fault on your own.

so IF your the only one so far experienceing this problem on this forum. youll be to help for other with this problem in the future.

Sounds like it could be dirty pots, and dirty or shorted contacts, on the selector switch.

Contact cleaner, will help eliminate those problems. I had a switch, do that same thing...

make noise and or cut out, completely...and I opened the back, watched the contacts, as

I made the switching movements...noticed one contact was not making a tight connection

with the selector, so I bent the contact (very slightly), and haven't had any problem, since.

If the Switch is actually bad, however....it's an easy replacement, and inexpensive, really.

At worst, you can replace all the pots and the switch. 1-hour's time, max...and some soldering.

Hope you find out which/what it is. Annoying problem, I know...but, not really "Serious!"

Cheers,

CB

If Charlie Brown didn't hit it all, then it sounds like a ground issue to me. Somebody has been in there once. It also sounds like maybe you aren't up to tearing into it. I wouldn't myself unless it was just an extra I felt confident going after. 'Cause, I smell solder ultimately and that is a taught art in its' own self. If it was my main, I have someone who actually knew what they were doing take a look and listen. Good luck and how about letting us all know.

Steve

Fergie,

First of all, welcome to the forum. The thing about electric guitars is there isn't much to them. Very simple and basic electronics (unless you buy one of these crazy new Gibson robot guitar things!). My guess is a good tech could locate and fix the problem very quickly. Alternatively, it wouldn't be that expensive to rip out the guts and replace them (unless the issue is with your pickups--which it doesn't seem like it is). Take it to the best guitar tech in your area and go from there.

And I think we've all been there--been so excited to buy something that you ignore the problems with the item or hope it goes away!

Good luck.

Fergie' date='

First of all, welcome to the forum. The thing about electric guitars is there isn't much to them. Very simple and basic electronics (unless you buy one of these crazy new Gibson robot guitar things!). My guess is a good tech could locate and fix the problem very quickly. Alternatively, it wouldn't be that expensive to rip out the guts and replace them (unless the issue is with your pickups--which it doesn't seem like it is). Take it to the best guitar tech in your area and go from there.

And I think we've all been there--been so excited to buy something that you ignore the problems with the item or hope it goes away!

Good luck.

[/quote']

[biggrin][cool]

take it to your tech. if you don't have a tech, ask around your area and find one. The problems you have sound like oxidation/lack of lubrication on your potentiometers/knobs. You can fix this with "tuner control cleaner and lubricant" from Radio shack. Just pop off the control plate and spray a little in the hole on the contact end of the pot. then work the knobs back and forth. also spray some on your 3 way switch, and then spray some on a 1/4 inch plug and work it in and out of the guitar.

if you aren't comfortable doing this, then take it to a tech. If the problem comes back in under a year, ask to have new pots put in.

Now, do you keep your guitar in a moisture controlled environment? do you keep it in the case?

Archived