Gibson Brands Forums

Good deal? Marshall JCM 800 Lead Series (2205) + 1960 cab

Kolera

For about $ 750,-.

Should I go for it? I have no use for an amp of that size, so the only reason to get it would be to mess around with it for a bit and then maybe put it up for sale again.

Is the 750,- a somewhat fair price? Anybody got any experience with this amp? Pros/cons?

Thanx.

It's set too low, the seller was told on a danish forum, but since he's already put it up for that price and needs to get rid of it because of a shortness of cash, he just wants to get it out the door fast.

It's a gigging amp and some of the knobs are very tight because of dirt and sh*t, but other than that it should be okay.

That's the one you are bringing to sell to me when you come to FL' date=' right? [biggrin']

Funny.

Actually I'm planing on shipping it back to Colorado where it can get some love from my bro out there. I'm just storing it and it makes me sad. That amp is to cool to sit idle.

. Any Marshall-specific crap I should be looking out for?

Just the usual with tube amps - excessive snapping' date=' cracking, and popping. Smoke is usually a bad sign as well. [biggrin

You could look at the tubes - bright orange or red is often a sign of tubes in need of replacement (a more purplish glow is preferred). Also any tubes that respond micro phonically to a tapping from a chopstick or a pencil need replacing as well. However, for that price, you can afford to re-tube it easily.

I'd say fire it up an rock out. If it moves you, cha ching!

Archived