Gibson Brands Forums

Necessary time to make the neck gloss disappear

Al Zimmerman

Hello everybody,

I would like to know how much time it would be required to make the neck gloss disappear of a brand new Gibson. [biggrin]

Here are my assumptions:

1. You do want to make the neck gloss disappear (Why? Well, maybe to give it a smoother feeling...) [laugh]

2. You play only the first 3-4 frets. [laugh]

3. You play regularly, let's say, 1 hour a day :^o

4. You don't wipe off the neck after playing or polish it [lol]

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Best regards,

AL

The more you play the glossier it will get. I have an eight year old Martin that came with the satin finish on the neck. It is now glossy from play and wiping it down after playing.All my Gibsons also are the same. I find they more glossy the less my hand sticks when playing. If you don't wipe it after playing crud just builds up and makes it sticky.

My 1972 Gibson SJ's neck is beginning to lose some of its gloss in some spots due to age and wear...which I regret (and keep looking at the spot as I'm playing.) Putting on guitar polish temporarily helps restore it on the spot, but only temporary. I personally very much prefer glossiness on a guitar's neck over satin or non-glossy necks. Keeping the glossy neck polished up about once a month keeps its playing feel unbelievably good. My Gibson guitar necks from my 1965 models still totally have their neck's glossy finish as does my 1936 Epiphone Zenith. (However, my 1956 Epiphone F79/Texan's neck has lost its original gloss from age and wear.) Its very cool to play my new Gibson CS 1964 J-45 with its new shiny neck, which I hope with good caring for it lasts as long as the others'.

I recommend taking care to keep the gloss. One day the guitar will be 30-50 (or like my Zenith 73 years old) and will be super cool in that its neck still has its gloss and has been a well cared for instrument.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks for your replies!

eltonwce: I would have said that this would only happen in satin finish necks, not with Gibson glossy necks... But I didn't have the chance to check it.

QuestionMark: Do you feel it is more comfortable a gloss neck than a satin one? [cursing]

chrisa83: Exactly that was my point... [biggrin]

Regards,

AL

Hey Al....

Don't sweat the gloss. My AJ has a very glossy neck. My Taylor always had a smooth satin neck. The Taylor is now 16 years old and the neck has become glossy with use but it is not a sticky glossy, but a very smooth played in gloss that comes from years of use.

On my AJ, about once a month or so, I take 0000 steel wool and lightly smooth the gloss off the back of the neck. Don't worry, it does no harm and actually re-glosses back up after a few weeks of regular use, but it sure feels nicer, especially during the hot sticky summer months.

Man, I really hope someday my gigging Gibson loses its stickiness. If I accidentally grab a pint glass that the bartender dribbled some beer over the side, then play, it's like glue on the neck. So aggravating. I have to go to crazy lengths at gigs - wipe off the pint glass, only drink with right hand, wipe after every set. It's stupid.

For a gigging guitar, I prefer a satin neck. For a nice home player, gloss is great.

QuestionMark: Do you feel it is more comfortable a gloss neck than a satin one? :)

Regards' date='

AL[/quote']

I definitely think a gloss neck is more comfortable to play than a satin neck. Plus, its cool to me to look at its shininess as I'm playin'...seriously. On the few guitars I have where the neck is not glossy, I actually find myself looking at the neck's lack of shine as I'm playing and thinking, I wish this neck were shiny. Seriously.

I don't think I've ever told anyone that one before. But, it does run through my head sometimes as I'm playing and looking at the guitar's neck.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Al, you mentioned that you have a CS 1964 J-45. I was looking at that model and was wondering what you think of the guitar. I have not had a chance to play one yet. Does it have the adj saddle. If anyone has any info or impressions please let me know. Thanks

Archived