Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid computer question

Gilliangirl

I have a ton of pictures and videos on my computer and I think it's slowing it down. I know I can save them to Photobucket but I don't trust that the site won't crash (Imageshack crashed once and I lost pages of stuff).

So what do I need to save pictures and videos to? DVDs? Regular CDs? Do they make special CDs for things like this? I really want to get them off my computer to free up some space. I bought one of those flash drives but it only saved the audio portion of the videos, so that's no good.

My daughter gave me a little 80GB external drive. I dumped everything over onto it when I retired my Dell PC. I now use a little Acer laptop and just keep the external drive in a drawer nearby. The external drive is a WD Passport. It'll fit into your shirt pocket and plugs into the USB port. Life is a lot simpler with that thing.

Just get an external portable hard drive you can get them up to a terrabyte they just connect to the USB and then you can select and transfer files as you need to. A flash drive is usually just a smaller drive or thumb drive but same concept. I have four or five drives full of different things and constantly fight to keep the hard drive from filling up.

Flash drives are just little bitty things. I carry a 4GB one around all the time. I think I paid ten bucks for it and they're cheaper now. The external drives like theWD Passport are pocket sized and will hold more than the average person has a need for. Mine is only 80GB and I've got it about 80% full but all my ipod music is on there (a few thousand songs) plus mega loads of pics, plus about 25GB worth of Nintendo games with simulator.

Here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/160GB-WD-MY-PASSPORT-Portable-USB-EXTERNAL-Hard-Drive_W0QQitemZ270505298082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item3efb5f48a2

Archived