Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul 1958 reissue ** Updated pics included!! **

Ironman1536

Hey Guys im looking to get a Les Paul soon! My goal is to get a combonation of the best sounding 1st and looking 2nd Les Paul i can get for under $2,700. Ive talked to one music store who can get a 1958 reissue VOS for $2,650 which seems really good its a plain top though. I've heard somewhere you can upgrade to a gloss top for another 300 dollars is this true? And sound wise do you guys think the '58 is that much better then the new standards.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum.

You can't ask a bunch of strangers which guitar sounds better. People's opinions vary. That's why you go to the store to play them, to judge for yourself. Both the Standard and R8 (58 reissue) are excellent guitars with several differences. It depends what you're looking for. So, what are you looking for exactly? Vintage tone?

A R8 is supposed to be a replica of the Les Pauls made in 1958...not an exact replica, but close enough. Yes, you can get glossy R8s for a few extra bucks. It's not an upgrade though, they come that way from the factory.

Something with great tone of course. I have a white SG i play with now. I play for church but we really rock out its not like hymns or anything. So ofcourse I need it to rip leads which any les paul can do, and get some good overdriven and clean sounds are important as well.

Something with great tone, eh? Welcome to the world of Les Pauls.

They're hand made, so, no two are exactly alike. Even though they may look the same, they won't feel and sound the same. Your best bet is to play as many as you can and buy the one that feels/sounds best to you. That's the best advice that a stranger can give you...that and don't buy a guitar online. You can't play it and you don't really know what you're getting. My advise it to buy it from an authorized dealer if you're buying new.

If you search this forum, you'll find several threads with this exact same topic.

I personally think the R8 (Historic '58) LP is the best deal Gibson offers for an LP. No you may not get that highly figured flamed top found on the R9's, but for the extra dough, that's a big difference for an otherwise identical guitar.

I also here that all the 08 standards and now chambered bodys. So a 2008..(1958 reissue) would not be chambered correct?

custom shop guitars are not chambered ( except for the Chambered RIs of course). So an R8 will be "solidbody"....no chamberes and no swiss-cheese weight relief holes.

I personally think the R8 (Historic '58) LP is the best deal Gibson offers for an LP. No you may not get that highly figured flamed top found on the R9's' date=' but for the extra dough, that's a big difference for an otherwise identical guitar.[/quote']

for a RI, yes. For the USA line, the LP Standard Faded in my opinion....1700 bucks and it sounds better than the flamed, gloss Standards (in my experience).

for a RI' date=' yes. For the USA line, the LP Standard Faded in my opinion....1700 bucks and it sounds better than the flamed, gloss Standards (in my experience).[/quote']

Agreed. As a side point, I think over the last few years there has been too much of an emphasis placed on the amount of flame a top has. I own a 1960 Les Paul (not a reissue) and there is little to no flame, just a very clean burst. The sound is what it is all about and has enough Mojo to last many lifetimes over...

I do understand the fact there are those who like, dare I say, "pretty" guitars, but ultimately aren't guitars worth more when they sound better than they may look?

By the way, the Historics are some of the best guitars I've ever played. The feel and sound is just so right. Ive also played LP standards that are just as good. I know the topic of conversation at some point always go back to value, and even value can mean something different to all of us. How a guitar looks, for example, may rate higher on one person's scale than the next person's.

Truth be told, you don't need to spend alot of money to buy a great Gibson guitar these days, chambered or not, historic model, or not. The reality is the quality today is better than any other period of time I can personally remember.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with asking others what we think about a particular model, it's a good way to get a "general idea". But as stated above by others, no one here can say what you, me or the next person will like the best in terms of looks, feel and most importantly sound. You have to put your hands on something to know for sure.

Half the fun is in the search, enjoy!

Truth be told' date=' you don't need to spend alot of money to buy a great Gibson guitar these days, chambered or not, historic model, or not. The reality is the quality today is better than any other period of time I can personally remember. [/quote']

I bow to thee!

Thank you!

I've been saying this for some time, but it comes across as pearls before swine to the parroting masses on the web.

True words!

Agreed. As a side point' date=' I think over the last few years there has been too much of an emphasis placed on the amount of flame a top has. I own a 1960 Les Paul (not a reissue) and there is little to no flame, just a very clean burst. The sound is what it is all about and has enough Mojo to last many lifetimes over...

I do understand the fact there are those who like, dare I say, "pretty" guitars, but ultimately aren't guitars worth more when they sound better than they may look?

By the way, the Historics are some of the best guitars I've ever played. The feel and sound is just so right. Ive also played LP standards that are just as good. I know the topic of conversation at some point always go back to value, and even value can mean something different to all of us. How a guitar looks, for example, may rate higher on one person's scale than the next person's.

Truth be told, you don't need to spend alot of money to buy a great Gibson guitar these days, chambered or not, historic model, or not. The reality is the quality today is better than any other period of time I can personally remember.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with asking others what we think about a particular model, it's a good way to get a "general idea". But as stated above by others, no one here can say what you, me or the next person will like the best in terms of looks, feel and most importantly sound. You have to put your hands on something to know for sure.

Half the fun is in the search, enjoy! [/quote']

well said

hello,

I own an R8 and I can say that it is one of my favorite guitars. If you play alot of classic rock, then the R8 is perfect. It does just about every sound perfect with the right amp and pedals. When I first played it, it blew my Angus sg away. The sound of the R8 seemed like it was being pushed out of the amp, into the room much more.

Not sure how to explain it. However, another great guitar around that price range would be a Les Paul Custom. It has an even brighter sound than the R8, cause of the ebony fret board. But can handle massive distortion for heavy metal players. IMO you cant go wrong with either one. I play anything from hymns to metallica on my R8 and it does them great.

IMG_0143.jpg

coldhot.jpg

thanks. I really love my Angus SG. It was my first "real" guitar, so it will always be one of my favorites. The neck is super thin and plays great. The best thing about the sg is picking it up after an hour playing the les paul custom. lol Man, then it feels like a toothpick.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard that becasue of the tuners on the 1958 that tuning would be a problem. They guy at the guitar stoer said he has a 1960 custom shop reiisue and it always goes out of tune, and went out of tune after his first song(on his first gig playing it). The SG I have now seems to go out of tune on the G, and B strings and all the time and when I put a capo on it, it really messes up. Does anyone have any knowledge on this with the 58' reeisue?

As far as opinions go, here's mine.

Skip ANYTHING that says VOS on it and save some money.

Yes they are very well made, but a large part of the price reflects the efforts to make a new guitar look old.

No thanks.

Get a good look at some reissues with a real "new guitar" gloss finish and shiny hardware.

YOU should be the one to age it as you enjoy it.

58 has smaller frets, 59 has the "Les Paul" neck with jumbo frets, 60 has jumbo frets on a slim neck.

I'll take the 60 over the others any day of the week - my opinion.

Anything that says Custom on it will be a full weight guitar with fewer relief cuts in the Mahogany.

My only gripe is that Customs almost always have gold hardware. Yuck.

Again, my opinion.

Decide which neck profile you want and look at the Standards.

If you are leaning toward the 58 RI, I'm guessing you want the fat neck. 50's it is.

You can choose either profile and still have alot of options as far as color and tops are concerned.

Standards are now very extensively lightened, it's up to you to decide if it is good or bad for tone.

Personally, I think a Les Paul is SUPPOSED to be heavy.

If you want a featherweight guitar, there are lots of alternatives that cost alot less.

Tuning?

It's the nut 90% of the time.

Anything that says Custom on it will be a full weight guitar with fewer relief cuts in the Mahogany. My only gripe is that Customs almost always have gold hardware. Yuck. Again' date=' my opinion.

Personally, I think a Les Paul is SUPPOSED to be heavy.

If you want a featherweight guitar, there are lots of alternatives that cost alot less.[/quote']

Part of the beauty of the Custom is the Gold accent! But you can get them in Silver/Chrome too.Gibson makes Custom Customs with silver hardware too. When they decide to do them, which seems sporatic, making them unique offerings. And yes, an LP should be full wood! Swiss cheese is Ok for deli sandwiches! Oh, I'm kidding. If you have a bad back, chambered is cool too.

I have not gotten it yet, I'll be getting it in June. I've played the 58' and like it, and from what I heard sounds the most like the 59'. All the 58's are V.O.S that they make now in a plain top, i can get a new one for $2,650 not to bad, its custom shop so it is solid body but it has silver hardware.

I have not gotten it yet' date=' I'll be getting it in June. I've played the 58' and like it, and from what I heard sounds the most like the 59'. All the 58's are V.O.S that they make now in a plain top, i can get a new one for $2,650 not to bad, its custom shop so it is solid body but it has silver hardware.[/quote']

And it has been to the PLEK machine!:-k

Archived