Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Blues King Modern Classic

Navajo Chief

I've had one for almost two years. I really like it, especially when you want a smaller guitar to play.

It sounds very good acoustically and becomes even better plugged in.

I have since acquired a J45 TV (no pickup), which sounds a little fuller. But, I would not be at all upset if I had to settle for the BK as my only guitar. I found a classical guitar case that fits it perfectly (the gig bag is a joke). Being more of a one guitar guy -- with other instruments that take part of my playing time (madola, bass, uke, etc.) -- I've thought of selling the BK. But, when I get it out and sit down and hit a few notes, I realize I should sell only if I really need the money.

If you are thinking of getting one, I'd go ahead. It's a very nice guitar and they are priced reasonably on the used market.

if i were you i would go with a used L-00...

sometimes they were called "Blues King" and i believe more or less the specs are similar...i had an 01 and it was a great guitar...

i got rid of it to get my LG 2 3/4 (another awesome guitar but back to your thread!)

the L-00 used was also roughly around $1100 which makes it almost half price...

just something to consider!

The thing to consider is what you get for your money. If you're looking for a guitar that sounds like an original L-00, then stay away from the garden variety L-00s and Blues Kings. They are built far more heavily than the originals, and they sound it. If you're just looking for a small guitar that is fun to play, then jump right in. If you want a guitar that is going to have some of that classic and much desired prewar L-00 tone, then Gibson made some higher end (and higher priced) runs of "Archetypes" and 20th Anniversary models that have generated some excitement----as has the Legend. There are a number of smaller shops and single luthier shops that also do L-00 style guitars.

I'm thinking about it as a second acoustic guitar. I play more and more fingerpicking Blues on my Hummingbird TV.

I'm not disapointed with that style on Hummingbird (she can do anything...), but it could give me sometimes a more vintage and compressed sound with a unexpensive used guitar...

I have a 2006 model w/ mahogany b/s and it gets played more often than not among a couple of other Gibsons. I like to judge these guitars on their own merits and mine sounds fantastic. However as soon as I can find/afford a vintage or reissue L-00 I will go for it. Those 1937 L-00 Reissue models sure are nice but pricey.

Dave

Had one, sold it. My BK (un-vintage 25.5 scale) was tight and bright. Not compressed, note, but piercing. Mine was best for single string leads, ok for slide, so-so fingerpicker (bright/thin top end). Not so good with a flatpick. And as Modac notes, heavy. The MC version has the right 24.75 scale but is bubinga, so still heavy and without the sweet top.

Again-- why not an L00TV? Those vintage L00s had lots of dry bite but enough low end to work an old time string band. The BK is nothing like that.

Again-- why not an L00TV?

:-

Soomething is missing between Blues King and 1937 legend.

And sometimes I wonder if the Epiphone EL-00 (which costs 5 times less than the Blues King) isn't a good choice, even if it doesn't really sound like the BK, the price might not deserve the difference.

:)

Soomething is missing between Blues King and 1937 legend.

And sometimes I wonder if the Epiphone EL-00 (which costs 5 times less than the Blues King) isn't a good choice' date=' even if it doesn't really sound like the BK, the price might not deserve the difference.

[/quote']

Something in between would be nice. Legend-like w/ Sitka spruce and East Indian Rosewood replacing the Red spruce and Madagascar rosewood maybe?

Something in between would be nice. Legend-like w/ Sitka spruce and East Indian Rosewood replacing the Red spruce and Madagascar rosewood maybe?

'

Well, EIR would be more the Nick Lucas sound. And I dont see why Gibson hasnt issued an EIR Nick, either--makes more sense than maple in that size/shape. But if its going to be "True Vintage" the L00 should be hog/spruce. Hello, Bozeman.

Funny enough, JK, if I'm recalling correctly, the first batch of Montana Nick reissues were EIR. They were long scale as well, though, and had 14 frets clear. There is a used, 2008 Madagascar rosewood/Adirondack Nick at AcousticMusic.org

'

Well' date=' EIR would be more the Nick Lucas sound. And I dont see why Gibson hasnt issued an EIR Nick, either--makes more sense than maple in that size/shape. But if its going to be "True Vintage" the L00 should be hog/spruce. Hello, Bozeman.

[/quote']Actually I was referring to fretboard/bridge material when I mentioned East Indian Rosewood replacing Madagascar rosewood. Along with other less costly materials, a less expensive version of the L-00 could be produced.

if i were you i would go with a used L-00...

sometimes they were called "Blues King" and i believe more or less the specs are similar...i had an 01 and it was a great guitar...

i got rid of it to get my LG 2 3/4 (another awesome guitar but back to your thread!)

Why do you prefer LG 2 3/4 ?

I tried a BluesKing today. Very woody sound, very efficient for fingerplaying (and only for it), but quite dry sound. I would have wanted more brightness. By the way quite tight neck for fingerpicking...

Makes me want to learn more about LG, B25, or other L00 series (epiphone, bluesmaster...).

Funny enough' date=' JK, if I'm recalling correctly, the first batch of Montana Nick reissues were EIR. They were long scale as well, though, and had 14 frets clear. There is a used, 2008 Madagascar rosewood/Adirondack Nick at AcousticMusic.org[/quote']

They did, indeed. No idea why the re-set/default is maple. Just not intuitive in that body style. A rw version, oth, would be punchier, bassier, ringing (ringier?). They the could sell the Dylan connection (circa 64-66)--if his Bobness would let them. As for the L00--it never made sense to me as a "mod classic' --too retro looking.

Archived