Gibson Brands Forums

Show the Gibson mods of professionals.

rocketman

When I started thinking about this, the list in my mind of professionals who mod their guitars seems to be a lot larger than the ones who don't. Whether it be something as simple as changing pickups or as complex as changing the wiring scheme with switches, it seems as though most of them mod their guitars.

So I thought it would be nice to have a place where each person shows a specific mod of a professional. I'll start off with the classic Jimmy Page mod. This was posted by Bluesburst back in April:

jpw1.jpg

jpw2.jpg

When I started thinking about this' date=' the list in my mind of professionals who mod their guitars seems to be a lot larger than the ones who don't.

[/quote']

You are a sick man........

Sick.......

:)

Seriously...

Were I to do a mod, 99.5 percent would be to add a master volume where my right pinkie could turn it while I'm pickin. That's it, although I can understand some others.

Feature this, though: A reeeeally good multi-effect box that had a remote you could clip on a guitar - not just one, but any/all guitars that are plugged through the box.

Seems better to me than modding the instrument itself.

But then... I'm also a believer in modular music playback "machines" too.

Here's one more: Ever notice a large number of complaints about various guitars in longer-time reviews have to do with the amp plugs? So how about an amp plug that actually works with a bit better design than what we've seen to date?

Okay, maybe both ideas are too simple, but...

m

Seriously...

Were I to do a mod' date=' 99.5 percent would be to add a master volume where my right pinkie could turn it while I'm pickin. That's it, although I can understand some others.

Feature this, though: A reeeeally good multi-effect box that had a remote you could clip on a guitar - not just one, but any/all guitars that are plugged through the box.

Seems better to me than modding the instrument itself.

But then... I'm also a believer in modular music playback "machines" too.

Here's one more: Ever notice a large number of complaints about various guitars in longer-time reviews have to do with the amp plugs? So how about an amp plug that actually works with a bit better design than what we've seen to date?

Okay, maybe both ideas are too simple, but...

m

[/quote']

That confounded banana plug should'a been replaced with a locking plug years ago. Not a bad idea; you gotta wonder. See, they're saying "this is the way we've always done it. If we change now, none of the new guitars can use the old cables, vice--versa, blah blah", ad nauseam. I say revolutionize the cable AND guitar-building industry with a new plug! [cool]

Actually... <grin>

I'm note sure it'd even require a major external change. There are a number of other types of devices that similarly handle plug-ins that work quite well. For example, instead of just a cheap bent piece of metal, why not two halves of a ring that are sprung by similar "springs" as the current jobbie that holds the plug at its indentation?

E.g.

|( )|

Spring-tempered piece, "C" piece that actually contacts the plug, then the reverse.

It might cost a penny or less but sheesh, I'll wager there are plenty of folks using 1/4 inch plugs who'd pay several bucks more for a literally two-bit upgrade. <grin>

It's gotta stay simple, though - say <bigger grin> kinda a Kalashnikov 'stedda Stoner concept. <chortle>

m

Archived