Gibson Brands Forums

Wich strap locks?

phil_104

Hey guys,

I'm going to be installing strap locks on the les paul standard I will be getting soon. I was wondering, are there any strap lock pins that will fit with the stock gibson screws already in the strap buttons?

I use dunlop on my other guitars, so I was wondering what you guys use that fits the gibson screws...

Yeah.

On some Gibsons, the screw head from the back pin is too large to fit inside the Schaller head.

Just grind the edge of the head down a little so it will clear.

You can reuse it with the original Gibson pins if you ever put them back on, nobody will notice.

I don't know why you would, I have a drawer FULL of them.

Seriously, next time you are headed near a hardware store pull both the screws out of your Gibson.

Get exact copies, preferably in stainless, be sure the thread pitch is the same.

Cut, grind or do whatever to the new screws and put the old ones with the Gibson pins in a ziploc bag in the case.

Buy a handful of faucet washers too, 1/2" diameter.

Use them in place of the felt washers.

Cost you like $5.

Schaller and Dunlop are both good systems. I have a slight preference for Schaller, but if a guitar comes with Dunlops I'm not going to change them.

The thing to remember with Schaller is to check regularly (as in every time you hook the guitar to the strap) if the nut that holds the thing-a-ma-bob to the strap isn't working loose.

The thing to remember with Schaller is to check regularly (as in every time you hook the guitar to the strap) if the nut that holds the thing-a-ma-bob to the strap isn't working loose.

That's why I apply a dab of LocTite to the threads when I install the nut..................................but I still check them.

Schallers all the way. Some toothpicks and woodglue will help also.

That's the thing, the whole point of the thread actually. I wanted to know if one of the two systems would work without having to drop a tootpick with glue in the guitar.

I guess I will try them both.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

Let me get this straight.....

You guys won't spend the equivalent of a pack of strings on proper screws?

You won't invest the same time it takes to CHANGE A SET OF STRINGS to do it right?

You would rather pull the same used guitar shop trick somebody in a guitar magazine did, than do a proper/reversible modification that leaves no damage to the guitar.....

Someday I hope that I can finally afford a real '59 Les Paul.

For a million dollars, I hope some cheapskate didn't use the "toothpick trick."

"Yeah I could spend $5 and 30 minutes to do it RIGHT, but I wanna be cool instead!"

BRAVO!!!

Jeez......

- < Neo scribbles down some forum-user names, and a note reminding himself to NEVER purchase used gear from them..... > -

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

You won't invest the same time it takes to CHANGE A SET OF STRINGS to do it right?

You would rather pull the same used guitar shop trick somebody in a guitar magazine did' date=' than do a proper/reversible modification that leaves no damage to the guitar.....

[i']"Yeah I could spend $5 and 30 minutes to do it RIGHT, but I wanna be cool instead!"[/i]

BRAVO!!!

Jeez......

- < Neo scribbles down some forum-user names, and a note reminding himself to NEVER purchase used gear from them..... > -

LOL! Actually, one of the reasons I want to keep the guitar tootpick-less is long term value.

I'm just going to use the dremel on the screw and keep the body intact.

I had that problem in my mind... would i have to put glue on it? not because of thinking on selling my LP VOS goldtop, but because i was thinking about never have that strap button original, tightened, well, i think you know what i was feeling.

Than, i bought SCHALLER, took off the original strap button (and the screw), looked at the other screw that came with schaller straplock, and it was a little (very little) thinner, and size was just a little bigger. When i took off original screw, i felt it very tighten, so the hole of the screw was just perfect... the original screw didn´t fit on schaller strap lock, so i really had to put the schaller one, and, beleive it or not, the schaller screw entered in the hole very tightened, very solid, and it is PERFECT! no glue, no nothing!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

You would rather pull the same used guitar shop trick somebody in a guitar magazine did' date=' than do a proper/reversible modification that leaves no damage to the guitar.....

[i']"Yeah I could spend $5 and 30 minutes to do it RIGHT, but I wanna be cool instead!"[/i]

BRAVO!!!

Jeez......

"Lighten up, Francis!"

- Sgt. Hulka, Stripes

Speaking for myself, my guitars are made for playing and that's how I use them. They're not museum pieces. If I bought a vintage collectible, I might feel otherwise.

• 11 months later...

Archived