Gibson Brands Forums

Broken headstock 73 standard

backyardburial

My friend has had a nasty accident involving a cat and an sg, resulting in the headstock snapping off. He wants to get rid of it, and I'm pretty keen. Is a broken headstock the end of the line or is it worth fixing? I can probably get it pretty cheap, tho Im not worried about resale value or anything, just want to play it is all! I dont want to get it for parts or anything, only if its a viable player, so is worth anything at all? Cheers. Sorry no pics, I wont be able to get any till he gets back to aussie from New Zealand.

I have played guitars with broken headstocks,all pro repairs, & they don't seem to want to stay in tune (except Fenders seem to fare better with a headstock break) I guess it depends on the break,but a '73 is not that desireable for collectors, so I guess if you just want a player,it's worth fixing. BTW what happened to the cat?

backyardburial - I feel your pain bro.

Listen to tbone.

tbonesullivan - BTW' date=' how about some details on that sweet SG in your avatar. Really sharp lookin.

[/quote'] It's a 2002 Gibson USA SG Supreme, in midnight burst? or maybe blue burst. I can't remember. It's got 24 frets, 57 classic pickups, ebony fretboard, and plays like a dream. Doesn't look too shabby either:

SGs3.jpg

One of my SG's has had a broken headstock (that's a '73 as it happens) and it is fine, plays really well, got the lowest action of any guitar I have ever played in 40 years and stays in tune perfectly.

I'd say get it, but first make sure your repair guy is top quality (especially if you live in NZ) make sure you get some concrete proof of the quality of his work before giving him the guitar as you only get 1 (one) go to do this repair properly. Also DON'T whatever you do be tempted to try pushing the two halves together to see if they fit OK, in fact don't even touch either broken surface with your fingers (and tell your friend this also).

Should you decide against buying it I will be happy to buy it and carry out the repair myself… and, no, I wouldn’t attempt the repair on someone else’s guitar (not having the liability insurance) but I do my own guitar repairs, fret stoning and set-ups etc.

Archived