Gibson Brands Forums

strings on j45

brums

for Your experiences which's the best string on j45 mahogany ?

In the past two years I've put about 10 different sets of strings on my '04 J-45. While I liked many of them' date=' the two that stand out for me are D'Addario EJ-16 Lights (12-53) and Elixer Nanoweb 80/20 Bronze lights (12-53). I have the 80/20 Brz. on it now and really enjoy them. You realize that this question, that comes up quite often on this forum, is like asking people what their favorite food is. You will get many answers. Your fillet mignon might be someones else's liver and onions.[/size']

I've tried all kinds of strings on my J45 and the ones I keep coming back to and use most are Martin SP PB lights...great sound. I just put some Newtone Masterclass PB customs (lights) on last week and I can't decide whether I like them or not, they're noticeably different.

I agree that the Elixer 80/20 nanos are excellent in med or lights. Both of my J45's work well with either gages.Presently I've been using a mixed set of 80/20brz by Curt Mangan, 13,17,24,32,44,56. very cool . bright and punchy trebs easy frettin middles and a little thump in the bass.

I always thought the Martin SP 4100 phosphor bronze lights were the way to go, until I took off a set of those and put on John Pearse New Mediums , set # 710NM, also phosphor bronze.

These strings are really good, and best of all the guage is , 13 17 24 32 42 55

I find these give you better trebles like mediums would , but without the overall tension of a medium guage set.

I buy these from talkin_monkey on ebay :-k

I gave up 4-legged creature meats a long time ago. Now it's just Beaks' date=' Fins and salads for me. [/quote']

Beak and onions. Sounds different!! lol I gave up personally dispatching the creatures ( except for ducks, geese, salmon, steelhead and trout) and must pitifully beg for venison from my friends who are still highly involved in the sport. They don't play guitar so are less sensitive!! har har

I have a J-45 mahogany...I've tried a handful of brands but typically use the Gibson Masterbuilts. The medium gauge sound best (.13) to me, but sometimes I go back to the .12s for the feel. They need to be changed about once per month depending on how much you play. Obviously this is mostly personal preference.

With the J-45, I would stress that the proper setup is way more important than the string brand...that model seems to need adjustment of the neck and lowering of the saddle when they are new.

+1

The nanowebs get alot of praise too!

Yes use Lights on the J45 and they are very bright mind you the maple neck helps!

Now the SWD is straightened out am going for them on that too, will be interesting with the rosewood to hear em sing.

They're twice the price but seem to last twice as long so what the heck!

But just for the record I tend to stick with Fender (sorry) Originals 150s on the 335 for some reason (probably cos I bought a job lot 2 years ago O:)

Beak and onions. Sounds different!! lol I gave up personally dispatching the creatures ( except for ducks' date=' geese, salmon, steelhead and trout) and must pitifully beg for venison from my friends who are still highly involved in the sport. They don't play guitar so are less sensitive!! har har[/size']

Haven't given up "dispatching" salmon and sea trout , just moved to the wrong side of England!

But thanks for reminding me I can sell all that fly fishing gear and buy a SJ-300 Rosewood Modern Classic!

Oh Drooooooooooooool!

Archived