Gibson Brands Forums

Question about customizing my Junior?

JSheen

Good day fellow Gibson users.

About 3 months ago I bought a Gibson LP Junior, after playing guitar for about 3-4 years, so far I really liked it.

abodyout.JPG

(this isn't my guitar, just plucked it off the net. my Junior is red [blink])

So lately, I've been thinking about installing a second pickup (neck-positioned) besides the p-90's, which are really nice, safe to say, but I think everyone will agree that 2 pups are better than 1.

In comes the question: there'll be 2 main problems, first, the pickguard's bottom-right screw won't be covered with any other pickguard compatible with 2 pickups, and second, the pickupswitch. I mean, it'll probably be a nasty job for the people I'd hire it to do, let alone the costs..

For any further explanation, this example:

Lennon%20Les%20Paul2.jpg

Slightly like the neck pick-up on this John Lennon model.

Presuming everything is well possible and not extremely expensive, do you guys have any Pickups to (personnaly)recommend? I mostly play blues and solo's in the Slash and Lynyrd Synyrd area.

My amp is a Blackstar HT5 by the way.

Nice sound :)!

yeah thats pretty much what i meant with the customization' date=' apart from the neck pup.

how much did the pup and switch installation cost?[/quote']

The CC pickup was $99, $10 for the switchcraft pup selector switch, $3 for the pup selector cavity cover plate. The pup install was about $250. This included the routing of the pickup selector cavity.

Used the stock volume and tone pots

The CC pickup was $99' date=' $10 for the switchcraft pup selector switch, $3 for the pup selector cavity cover plate. The pup install was about $250. This included the routing of the pickup selector cavity.

Used the stock volume and tone pots[/quote']

Alright, but those 250 dollars seem so much compared with the 110 dollars for basically the whole thing :l

I could have saved some cost if I hadn't purchased a 1972 aluminum tailpiece and a ABR1 bridge from a gutted R9.... That was a bit expensive[blush]

However the labor cost included fret dressing and having the fretboard micro-buffed.... Overall for $1500 total, I got what I was looking for.

Archived