Gibson Brands Forums

Equalizers

Gibson CS

What do you guys think of equalizers?

I have the standard 3 knob on my Orange, but I wouldnt mind fine tuning it a tad more.

The Kerry King model looks good. I just hope its not designed for thrash and not much good

for anything else.

An EQ is definately worth the investment!!!

The Kerry King version is identical to the M-108, except for an extra output for running two amps from one EQ, that and the paint job.

I use the M-108 in my FX loop and it is by far the best I have used. The boss 10 band is ok since you can save presets, but they made it so that you can't scroll through the presets with your feet!!

The MXR M-108 is also priced better. It added a lot to my sound that other EQ's missed... and I tried most of the stomp box versions...

I used to use an EQ years ago but stopped after I bought my current amp as I didn't need it anymore and the Boss GE 7 is pretty noisey. EQs are handy as a lead boost or to add a convenient second variation of tone to your setup but, IMO, if you need an EQ to shape your main sound, you probably should look into getting a different amp unless the sound you're after just isn't possible with any amplifier currently available. Granted, the Tiny Terror has a very limited equalizer section but, without an effects loop, you're going to be shaping the overdrive more than the overall tone - watch out with those low frequencies or you'll create mud.

the mxr and boss eqs work fine... theres one of those boss twin pedals in which you can actually save persets... very usefull... but i dont use any eq at all, i dont like that many varibles to my sound, thats why i chose an amp with no eq changing cappabilities.

IMO' date=' if you need an EQ to shape your main sound, you probably should look into getting a different amp[/quote']

you are so right... after playing different amps for years i just found the right one and now i dont need eqs and stuff like that.

I use an EQ for my main sound, in fact I never turn it off. If I could have found an amp that broke up like mine does with the correct voicing that the EQ adds then I would buy it, but no one makes them... at least not for the total of $1400 with speakers - with a total of 6 channels.

I would have to spend at minimum about $8000 on amps to get this sound, and that's before the cables and switch boxes to get the sound to the amp!

Besides, everyone around here has a Messa or a Marshall, and it's cookie cutter sad.

Im happy with my tone.

Im thinking about another hue at the click of a switch.....solos and such.

Does your amp have multiple channels? Mostly, what I hear EQs used for are to reshape your tone after the signal passes thru your effects.... like to add the mids back in after you scooped them. Perhaps if you are happy with your basic tone and are looking for something a little more punchy for leads you could use a separate channel on your amp to dial in more of your basic tone and foot switch that?

Of course... I have a single channel amp, so I rely on a Boss CS-3 and CE-5 to give my leads some punch...

ChanMan...

I have two channels....Clean & Dirty.

I guess I could use my Boss Enhancer...It adds shape.

I dont want to add more pedals if I can help it.

As is said, I want to play guitar, not tap dance.

When I take a solo I kick on my Boss GE-7set with a midrange boost and an overall volume hike and a small treble boost. Makes me louder, clear and juicy!

Saves messing around with other pedals. Very simple and effective.

Its at the end of my fx chain before the signal enters my Bassman.

A good pedal for getting your solo out in front without a sound engineer or volume boost (particularly if your amp is already set to melt down and there's nowhere left to go) is a treble booster which is based on the Dallas Rangemaster. It's also very cool for adding another rhythm tone to your palette. I have an Analogman Beano Boost which I like a lot but Keeley and a few other boutique pedal builders make them too.

Archived