Gibson Brands Forums

Angus's New Gibson USA Signature SG

SGplayer1994

I've started this thread to get some opinions about this new guitar and I hope that Gibson reads this, because I believe that it needs to be addressed. I love Angus Young (no homo) and Gibson guitars, but I dislike the attention to detail in this product. I'm assuming that this guitar is made to replicate the Ebony 61 Reissue that he uses primarily on stage (during the Black Ice Tour anyways, that's what he's used all of the three times I've gone to a concert). That itself is a great idea to give Angus's fans a guitar that can give them that signature look and tone. However, I absolutely hate those lightning bolt frets. If you look at the Gibson Custom Shop version, you can see that they use beautiful pearl lightning bolt inlays on an ebony fretboard. The USA standard model does not use pearl, but that's fine by me, it cuts unnecessary costs. My problem is with the scale and width of the fret inlays. In my opinion they look cheesy and horrible. Angus's SG with the lightning bolts that HE uses have inlays that go across the whole entire fretboard (horizontally, when the guitar is standing up on it's bottom). This is not the case with the USA model, as they become very tiny at the higher frets. That, in my opinion, makes the guitar UGLY and makes me not interested. Aside from aesthetics, read about the pickups--they use a '57 Classic in the neck and an Angus Signature in the bridge; however the Custom model uses Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. Which ones does he use!? They make the guitars in cooperation with Angus, yet they use different pickups for his two signature models. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Finally, I do not like the truss rod cover. Angus's REAL SG does not have a signature on the truss rod cover. It should use a normal truss rod cover like a real '61 reissue.

If anything I have said is incorrect, I'm sorry, and please correct me in a professional manner.

If you made it this far after reading my long rant, I'd like for you to please post your thoughts on the guitar and my comments.

Sorry to disappoint you or burst any bubbles here, but 9 times out of 10 signature guitars are just another way to push yet another product out the door by using a famous name. You can't really expect much in terms of accuracy, faithful reproduction, or the artists themselves even using the product at all.

I just don't like how the SG model that Angus really uses is a custom shop limited edition model that only a Rockerfeller could afford. It's great how they offer a more affordable model for your middle class people, but I really dislike how they use his name on it and hike up the price. I do agree with you two (SHO and Blackie), but it's disappointing to me because Angus is my musical idol, and I would love to have the pleasure of owning a replica of his guitar. I am simply not interested in what Gibson's USA standard model has to offer (or the lack thereof). I also think that it shouldn't cost $5000 USD to get a REAL Angus Young Guitar--why couldn't they have used the same guitar as the VOS and Aged models, just with acrylic inlays and a normal finish? That's kind of what I'm trying to get at. To me, it feels like Gibson is not thinking much for their middle / working class customers who would really like a REAL Angus Young Signature.

To SG..How Is the nek on your 2008..SG?I m thinking of buying 1..But Need a.;slim.;or Not to fat/flat neck...Thanx

How is the sustain?I m thinking between an SG Standard.;a 76 explorer and A Classic 60 s Les paul(Reissue)

The Sg..Is the Cheapest...But also the best? ..Wich wood is used in them?

I've started this thread to get some opinions about this new guitar and I hope that Gibson reads this' date=' because I believe that it needs to be addressed. I love Angus Young (no homo) and Gibson guitars, but I dislike the attention to detail in this product. I'm assuming that this guitar is made to replicate the Ebony 61 Reissue that he uses primarily on stage (during the Black Ice Tour anyways, that's what he's used all of the three times I've gone to a concert). That itself is a great idea to give Angus's fans a guitar that can give them that signature look and tone. However, I absolutely hate those lightning bolt frets. If you look at the Gibson Custom Shop version, you can see that they use beautiful pearl lightning bolt inlays on an ebony fretboard. The USA standard model does not use pearl, but that's fine by me, it cuts unnecessary costs. My problem is with the scale and width of the fret inlays. In my opinion they look cheesy and horrible. Angus's SG with the lightning bolts that HE uses have inlays that go across the whole entire fretboard (horizontally, when the guitar is standing up on it's bottom). This is not the case with the USA model, as they become very tiny at the higher frets. That, in my opinion, makes the guitar UGLY and makes me not interested. Aside from aesthetics, read about the pickups--they use a '57 Classic in the neck and an Angus Signature in the bridge; however the Custom model uses Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. Which ones does he use!? They make the guitars in cooperation with Angus, yet they use different pickups for his two signature models. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Finally, I do not like the truss rod cover. Angus's REAL SG does not have a signature on the truss rod cover. It should use a normal truss rod cover like a real '61 reissue.

If anything I have said is incorrect, I'm sorry, and please correct me in a professional manner.

If you made it this far after reading my long rant, I'd like for you to please post your thoughts on the guitar and my comments.[/quote']

The lightning bolts should have been the same as the custom,the pickups to.But i don't think the inlays are ugly,and the angus sig pickup are a great pickup.the signature on the truss rod cover,well i like it. its a simple job replacing the cover with a new one anyway.Haven'T seen any review of this guitar yet,if its good i buy it in a couple of years.

To BeezleBub:

The neck on my '09 Standard is definitely wide and fairly thick. It doesn't bother me at all because I have huge hands, but if you have small hands it will be different. My younger sister has pretty small hands yet she can still play it just fine. So I suppose what I'm getting at is:

1) It is more based on personal preference.

2) You should probably look for one that catches your eye and see how it plays; these guitars are hand made and therefore the neck profiles are not always completely consistent.

Yeah I never got to uploading a picture of my own yet. Someday...

Lol. I've been on this forum for almost a year and I haven't either!

I actually don't have a computer. I go on the forum with my iPhone. I have to update my phone so that I can get the photobucket app and upload some pictures.

I had an opporrtunity to see one of those guitars and the aging or whatever its called looks ,to me,very poor.The body has like little white swirls in it.To me it just dis not appear to be a naturally aged guitar.The lighning bolts look cool to me.What does that guitar have in it for pickups?I have an SG Standard and I am perfectly content with it.Did few mods but its nice like it is.Its kind of cool to see the good job they can do on some of those signature guitars or replicas of certain guitars,but I want a guitar to be mine and feel like mine.I respect alot of players and have some I sort of put up on pedestals as being a person who inspires me,but I don't want a guitar I own to replicate that persons to a tee.

I hope I don't offend anyone with this but why would I pay a ridi****usly inflated price for a guitar with someone's name on it that will in no way make me a better player. The same goes with Fender' date=' PRS or any other manufacturer. Just my opinion.........[/quote']

Do you own a Les Paul? You have one as your avatar. You're telling me those aren't ridi****usly overpriced?

I like Angus' models and everything, but im just not the person to buy signature models. Im kinda in the same boat as guitar_randy. I want a guitar to be mine and feel like mine as well. I want a SG that i can make my own. I messed around with my Epiphone SG so it wouldn't look like everyone else's Epi. I guess it's a pet pieve for me. I do that with all of my guitars, but i don't mess around with them until the point where they don't work, im just not that stupid.

I really look up to Angus Young, but I just don't think his signatures are worth a buy, at least with how poor i am. lol

I believe signature models are over priced trophies for under skilled players who think they'll play better, rich dwwebs or collectors to hang on the wall or hide away to sell for a profit someday. Like buying a set of jack nicklaus golf clubs is gonna vastly improve your game. What about being a huge fan of the player? Sorry, he had little to nothing to do with manufactoring other than sell the rights to his name.

Happy New Year.

I believe signature models are over priced trophies for under skilled players who think they'll play better' date=' rich dwwebs or collectors to hang on the wall or hide away to sell for a profit someday. Like buying a set of jack nicklaus golf clubs is gonna vastly improve your game. What about being a huge fan of the player? Sorry, he had little to nothing to do with manufactoring other than sell the rights to his name.

Happy New Year.[/quote']

Signature models aren't so bad.

I've got one called a "Les Paul" that I really like.

Tbone Sullivan' date=' I really love that 02 blue supreme you have. I have always wanted one. Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to actually see one for sale![/quote'] i saw it for sale on the heritage guitar fanclub. it's in great shape. I had always dreamed of getting one in blue, so when it showed up, I jumped on it. It IS a great guitar. Plays awesome, though definitely headstock heavy with the bigass headstock and grover rotomatics.

Archived