Gibson Brands Forums

Nick Lucas on Ebay

wayside

on the Martin discussion site, there are over 100 replies with intense discussion regarding this guitar.

Here, nothing. Stange isn't it?

Wayside, if you go over there (Martin), there is quite a debate going on there that could be worth reading though

the essence of cliqueness is loud and clear. Thanks for trying here where it should be.

B

There was some discussion of this one on the Acoustic site, but not much. Part of it I think is because the real vintage experts tend to post on the umgf and not here, but I also think it's due to a general lack of interest. A few years ago when the site was redone and the Vintage section set up, Zizala and a few other people (L5 Larry, if I remember correctly) started a great thread on vintage Gibson archtops with lots of pictures and descriptions. There was very little interest shown by the members here and the thread quickly sank to the bottom and disappeared. Recently, tpbii posted links to a number of videos of him playing some of his great collection of vintage flattops. That didn't get much reaction either. Maybe most people think these great old guitars are out of reach for them? Tis a puzzle. In any case, the umgf is where I end up going for my vintage Gibson fix.

I'm a longtime vintage Gibson fan, but my passion has always been archtops and thinline hollowbodies. I've owned dozens of vintage Gibsons over the past 35 years, but I've never owned a flat-top guitar. I only discovered this forum relatively recently, but I've appreciated the opportunity to share and learn here, and I've tried to be active in discussions that I feel I can contribute to. There have been a couple of wonderful threads here (L5 history, to name one) that I've revived when I found them. I hope there will be more activity on these and new ones to come.

I don't really understand why there aren't more discussions here, even just with regard to archtops. I haven't found any other online forum where vintage Gibson archtops are actively discussed, although there is some activity at the Les Paul forums.

At any rate, thanks to wayside for posting the above link. I also searched for and found the Nick Lucas discussion at the umgf (which I don't think I had ever visited), and enjoyed reading that. There are aspects of Gibson collecting and history in such discussions that still attract my interest, even if I'm not so attracted to flat-tops, solidbodies, etc.

Well i really dont know much of vintage guitars like you guys.

But i love it when someone makes a thread asking what guitar they have and one of you guys answer.

So i thank all you vintage experts for the info you post because i dont think im the only one learning here.

I'm a big fan of archtop guitars (I have some nice ones) and I have some nice flat tops like a nice old banner J and enjoy those too. I have been playing vintage guitars acoustic and electric for thiirty years and I know enough to share some good conversation on the subject HERE rather than THERE. Lets see if things change.

Also, the aroma of cliqueness there can not be overlooked and sometimes can be annoying.

R

I'm a big fan of archtop guitars (I have some nice ones) and I have some nice flat tops like a nice old banner J and enjoy those too. I have been playing vintage guitars acoustic and electric for thiirty years and I know enough to share some good conversation on the subject HERE rather than THERE. Lets see if things change.

Welcome' date=' Rob. Good to have you aboard.

Also, the aroma of cliqueness there can not be overlooked and sometimes can be annoying.

R

I understand what you mean, and I've seen it on other (non-guitar) discussion forums, but I think it's sort of natural when a group has been together for a long time. I guess the umgf folks even have annual get-togethers (?). Anyway, I think they have a cool board, it's just that there isn't too much there that's up my alley. But if any of those folks want to come here to talk about Gibsons, I would be glad to have them. Maybe somebody will even get me interested in flat-tops!...

... on second thought, please don't... I can't afford all the archtops I want. [biggrin]

As folks have pointed out, some of us have tried to generate interest in vintage Gibsons here, but to little avail. I'm happy to give it one more try, though.

As for that Nick, what a lovely guitar it is.

As folks have pointed out' date=' some of us have tried to generate interest in vintage Gibsons here, but to little avail. I'm happy to give it one more try, though.

As for that Nick, what a lovely guitar it is.

[/quote']

See now John, you posted that on Monday and here it is Thursday. Not only am I just reading it now, which shows that I almost never check the vintage section here, but you threw down teh gauntlet and no one picked it up. Personally, I'm no expert on vintage guitars so feel like I have little to contribute to a conversation, but I do love reading about them, especially vintage Gibson's, and seeing pictures.

And as for that Nick, lovely it is indeed. Have you seen the one owned bu Stuartb? I believe it was at Elderly briefly, but he told me he purchased it from someone in England. Here's a pic:

Front.jpg

(hmm, hope that works, I'm not too good at this posting photos stuff). Anyway, one of my favorite guitars as far as appearance goes, but I have not had the pleasure of playing one in the flesh. Still, one of the most beautiful guitars ever, I think. Best to you,

Dennis

See now John' date=' you posted that on Monday and here it is Thursday.

Have you seen the one owned bu Stuartb? I believe it was at Elderly briefly, but he told me he purchased it from someone in England. [/quote']

Dennis,

Thanks for taking up the gauntlet! I, too, have drooled over pics of Stuart's Nick. I really like that dark sunburst. When Stuart got it from my friend in England, I tried to talk Stuart into shipping it to me for X-ray and CT-scan it. Alas, Stuart was too smart for me.

As for me, I'm the proud owner of the world's ugliest Nick Lucas:

2039075480033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

And, I did convince the owner of this, my all-time favorite Nick Lucas, to loan it to me for X-rays and CT-scans:

2641456390033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Dennis' date='

Thanks for taking up the gauntlet! I, too, have drooled over pics of Stuart's Nick. I really like that dark sunburst. When Stuart got it from my friend in England, I tried to talk Stuart into shipping it to me for X-ray and CT-scan it. Alas, Stuart was too smart for me.

As for me, I'm the proud owner of the world's ugliest Nick Lucas:

[img']http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/41743/2039075480033810361S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

And, I did convince the owner of this, my all-time favorite Nick Lucas, to loan it to me for X-rays and CT-scans:

2641456390033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

John,

Who cares what it looks like...what's is sound like? Wonderful is my guess.

John' date='

Who cares what it looks like...what's is sound like? Wonderful is my guess.[/quote']

Rich, it does, indeed, sound great. It was rode hard for a couple of decades and then put up wet, well, actually really dry, sans case, in a shed in wilds of Tasmania for another several decades. I'm the second owner. Here's the original owner playing it in the 1930s in, of all things, a Tasmanian hula band:

2276060300033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Wayside, if I'm not mistaken, John has a few clips of that guitar he recorded for the original owner. Maybe we can prevail upon him to post some here. It comes with a very interesting story too, but I'll let John tell it if he cares to.

John it may not be pretty, but that Nick has "panache", as Cyrano would say. I'm glad you were able to take it in and give it a good home. On the Century version, is that maple b/s as well? I'd love to see some close-ups of the headstock and inlays, and maybe a pic of the back? How does it sound compared to the other Nick?

Too bad Stuart wouldn't go the scan route, but I can't blame him for not wanting to chance any more shipping than necessary. Still, it would have been nice data to have. And, as I mentioned, I too love that dark sunburst. Dan Roberts is making a series of LG-2's, including a deluxe maple version, and I've considered asking him to make me one with a burst based on Stuart's, but I guess I'm too much of a purist for that. The LG-2 was always a basic guitar and fitting one out in fancy dress somehow doesn't feel quite right.

Best:

Edit: John, you posted while I was typing this. Cool picture, I hadn't seen that before. Do you think the second pg was original to Gibson? I would assume added later since I've never seen a photo of one of these with double p/g's, but hey, like I said, I'm no vintage expert.

Dennis,

Yes, those pickguards were creative after-market additions. Alas, they did not survive the decades in the Tasmanian shed.

I do have that very rough recording that I sent to the Tasmanian seller. Here it is: 1929 Nick Lucas Soundfile

I think that a maple LG would be a fantastic project. As you know, Gibson did build maple LGs during WWII, but out of laminated maple back and sides. I'm not a fan of their tone, though some guitarists of much greater artistry (Russ Barenberg, anyone?) love the laminated J-45s.

Wayside' date=' if I'm not mistaken, John has a few clips of that guitar he recorded for the original owner. Maybe we can prevail upon him to post some here. It comes with a very interesting story too, but I'll let John tell it if he cares to.

John it may not be pretty, but that Nick has "panache", as Cyrano would say. I'm glad you were able to take it in and give it a good home. On the Century version, is that maple b/s as well? I'd love to see some close-ups of the headstock and inlays, and maybe a pic of the back? How does it sound compared to the other Nick?

Too bad Stuart wouldn't go the scan route, but I can't blame him for not wanting to chance any more shipping than necessary. Still, it would have been nice data to have. And, as I mentioned, I too love that dark sunburst. Dan Roberts is making a series of LG-2's, including a deluxe maple version, and I've considered asking him to make me one with a burst based on Stuart's, but I guess I'm too much of a purist for that. The LG-2 was always a basic guitar and fitting one out in fancy dress somehow doesn't feel quite right.

Best:

Edit: John, you posted while I was typing this. Cool picture, I hadn't seen that before. Do you think the second pg was original to Gibson? I would assume added later since I've never seen a photo of one of these with double p/g's, but hey, like I said, I'm no vintage expert. [/quote']

Dennis,

I noticed in your sig that you have a 1946 LG-2. I just picked one up today, I'll try to post pictures tomorrow. Love it. It's all I expected. Very well balanced, excellent projection, and a 64 year break in period. I would love to see a pic of yours.

Rich

Rich' date=' it does, indeed, sound great. It was rode hard for a couple of decades and then put up wet, well, actually really dry, sans case, in a shed in wilds of Tasmania for another several decades. I'm the second owner. Here's the original owner playing it in the 1930s in, of all things, a Tasmanian hula band:

[img']http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/39971/2276060300033810361S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

John,

I had no doubt it was a serious keeper. Great photo...it's rare to obtain provenance like that. I'm still working on trying to ascertain whether my L-2 was actually owned by Merle Travis. So far I've come up blank...a photo like yours would have been a nice holiday present.

Dennis' date='

Yes, those pickguards were creative after-market additions. Alas, they did not survive the decades in the Tasmanian shed.

I do have that very rough recording that I sent to the Tasmanian seller. Here it is: 1929 Nick Lucas Soundfile

I think that a maple LG would be a fantastic project. As you know, Gibson did build maple LGs during WWII, but out of laminated maple back and sides. I'm not a fan of their tone, though some guitarists of much greater artistry (Russ Barenberg, anyone?) love the laminated J-45s.

John, thanks for posting the recording. I should have known that both of those pickguards were afterthoughts. I was just trying to figure the year of yours, which I would have guessed to be 1928 by the logo and 12 frets, but the flatter bottom I guess is what gives it away as 1929. I'm a bit puzzled though by the Nick/Century, since it appears to have the earlier round bottom of the L's, but maybe that's just the photo? m any case, I can see why that mot Nick is your all time favorite. I'm falling in love with it just looking at the photo.

Rich, congratulations on the LG-2. I have some pics somewhere and will post one or two when I find them. I love this guitar. The body size is perfect for me, it's loud and, as you say, very well balanced, and mine is very expressive. Love the neck too, though I would guess to some it might be a bit of a handful. It's the first guitar I pick up, my every day player. Mine is alas on the brink of needing a neck reset.

Personally, I'm thrilled that Dan Roberts is making a version of them. I don't have any idea how close they will sound to the originals, but as far as I'm aware, no other builder has tried making one, which puzzles me. It's a great size and shape, very versatile, and I think ideal for a solo singer-songwriter. Nice blues fingerpicker as well. Hope you like it, please post your impressions once you've had some time with it.

I see you have an L-2. That's a pretty rare guitar. Care to post a pic and talk about it a bit? Maybe a seperate thread on L- bodies?

Best,

JI'm a bit puzzled though by the Nick/Century' date=' since it appears to have the earlier round bottom of the L's, but maybe that's just the photo? In any case, I can see why that mot Nick is your all time favorite. I'm falling in love with it just looking at the photo. [/quote']

Dennis,

That guitar is a puzzle. (And, sadly, it's not my puzzle). It does, indeed, sport the 1920s body shape, but it's got a later bridge shape. It's a one-of-a-kind and was one of the prized pieces in Scott Chinery's collection. The guitar is X-braced and sounds fabulous.

The guitar is the famed Nick Lucas Florentine because of its, uh, engravings of Venice (only at Gibson!):

2842695240033810361S600x600Q85.jpg2371465780033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

I'll start an L-2 appreciation thread. The Florentine is my favorite Nick Lucas, but the Gold Sparkle L-2 is my all time favorite Gibson.

Dennis' date='

That guitar is a puzzle. (And, sadly, it's not my puzzle). It does, indeed, sport the 1920s body shape, but it's got a later bridge shape. It's a one-of-a-kind and was one of the prized pieces in Scott Chinery's collection. The guitar is X-braced and sounds fabulous.

The guitar is the famed Nick Lucas Florentine because of its, uh, engravings of Venice (only at Gibson!):

[img']http://inlinethumb09.webshots.com/44168/2842695240033810361S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]2371465780033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

I'll start an L-2 appreciation thread. The Florentine is my favorite Nick Lucas, but the Gold Sparkle L-2 is my all time favorite Gibson.

In the words of Big Enos Burdette..."anyone who would play a guitar like that would wear feathers to a preachers funeral." Ok...I changed some of the wording of the quote...but man, that is one in-your-face guitar. Of course I would love to play it, but can you imagine whipping that thing out at your next local get together with some of your pickin' buddies?

man' date=' that is one in-your-face guitar. Of course I would love to play it, but can you imagine whipping that thing out at your next local get together with some of your pickin' buddies?[/quote']

Rich,

I had the guitar in my home for a couple of weeks while scheduling X-rays and CT-scans of it and a number of other (equally unbelievable). A buddy stopped by for our occasional picking session, I said let me get my Nick, and brought out the Florentine. When we both stopped laughing, I put the Florentine away, todl my friend I was getting out my archtop, and brought this one out (again, not mine, but with me for a couple of weeks as part of my imaging project):

2928733550033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

Rich' date='

I had the guitar in my home for a couple of weeks while scheduling X-rays and CT-scans of it and a number of other (equally unbelievable). A buddy stopped by for our occasional picking session, I said let me get my Nick, and brought out the Florentine. When we both stopped laughing, I put the Florentine away, todl my friend I was getting out my archtop, and brought this one out (again, not mine, but with me for a couple of weeks as part of my imaging project):

[img']http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/20290/2928733550033810361S600x600Q85.jpg[/img]

That is truly magnificent. What's the history on this one?

That is truly magnificent. What's the history on this one?

Now that's a really fascinating looking guitar. Details please. And John, thanks for the close-ups of the headstock and fretboard inlays and engravings on the Century Nick, I'm still smiling at that one. I you said it's a one of a kind, but did Gibson ever do anything similar in terms of thematic engraving? Interesting that the mots material lends itself to that sort of craftsmanship. I've gotta wonder, was that commissioned by someone (and if so, who?), or did Gibson make it as a presentation piece?

Great pieces of early Gibson history, thanks for sharing. Regards,

Now that's a really fascinating looking guitar. Details please. And John' date=' thanks for the close-ups of the headstock and fretboard inlays and engravings on the Century Nick, I'm still smiling at that one. I you said it's a one of a kind, but did Gibson ever do anything similar in terms of thematic engraving? Interesting that the mots material lends itself to that sort of craftsmanship. I've gotta wonder, was that commissioned by someone (and if so, who?), or did Gibson make it as a presentation piece?

Great pieces of early Gibson history, thanks for sharing. Regards,

[/quote']

Dennis & Rich,

I don't know who ordered the Florentine Nick (but, I'm working on finding out). Gibson did produce some equally extravagant Florentine banjos.

The archtop is a circa 1898 Orville Gibson creation. An amazing thing. The neck, back, and sides are carved from a single piece of wood. The top is 1 piece. There is literally no bracing inside. It's one of the oldest surviving examples of Orville's work and the one in the finest condition. It plays beautifully and though quiet, sounds quite nice. The carving is astounding. It looks like it would weigh as much as a Les Paul but is one of the lightest guitars I've ever encountered. I had it for 2 or 3 weeks. Playing it daily was a near-religious experience.

If you want access to great instruments, get a state-of-the-art CT-scanner! In a few weeks, I'll be taking (very brief!) possession of a Stradivarious.

JT wrote

I'll be taking (very brief!) possession of a "Stradivarious".

It's "Stradivarius" [biggrin]. I Actually have had the chance to hold one and attempt to play a Strad.

I am no violin player and I stopped immediately not to further disrespect the greatest luthier of our

human history. On a brighter note we all want to see what the cat scan will show.

From what period is the Strad from?

Regarding Orville's guitar. Another one of our great luthiers. I wish I could be able to have or at least be able to play an Orville original with the star and crescent headstock. Probably do more justice than I did with the Stradivarius violin.

RW

Archived