Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else feel down after the holidays?

Gilliangirl

I just can't seem to kick-start my enthusiasm for anything. I've got 10 days off and should be thrilled to sit and play but just can't seem to get motivated.=D>

Time for a string change!

I know what you mean though Karen. All that time at work wishing you were home with your fav guitar in your arms and now you have the time, you stare at it.

Yup, that's about it. It's so cold in here, despite the heat on high, that my hands are too cold to play. Plus, nothing sounds good. I haven't been playing consistently so I'm mad at myself <sigh>

And I'm too unmotivated to change the strings haha

Karen

The older I get the more I hate winter, the short days, the cold, the nit wits who will not shovel the snow off their sidewalks, prying my dog off the lawn when she freezes up doing her business.

When I take her for a walk I spend more time wrapping myself up in layers of clothes then I do walking.

I spent hours dragging crap out of the freezing attic to hang on a tree, just to turn around and waste hours taking them all off the blasted tree and dragging them back up into the attic.

Bah humbug......[blink]

Yup' date=' that's about it. It's so cold in here, despite the heat on high, that my hands are too cold to play. Plus, nothing sounds good. I haven't been playing consistently so I'm mad at myself <sigh>

And I'm too unmotivated to change the strings haha[/quote']

GG.......I'm pretty sure a new guitar would cheer you up.....lol, hang in there, girl!!!

Had some severe sudden plumbing problems the week before Christmas which meant there was very little Christmas..... so it's difficult for me to be cheery right yet. Plumbing in the house, not personal plumbing. The young plumber was at my house an hour after I called him and did $600 worth of work the next day. I promised him he would be paid immediately after I got the bill since he was so good at coming when called, and by God he got his money even if it wiped out the Christmas money.

I'm resetting the neck and refretting an old Kay, which is a nice thing to keep me going. Another rescue. You know me.

I had some odd form of redemption a couple days ago. Over the years I've replaced the tuners on my Tele, with identical NOS ones. I replaced the rear pickup with a Dimarzio. I changed the pots back in '85 or so; ditto for the switch. I had also installed strap locks. All the parts I had swapped out over the years were stored in a ziplock bag in a box in the attic. Pots, switch, strap buttons, the whole shebang. I don't know what was going on in my brain but I spent part of Christmas day re-installing all the original stock parts. I just had some type of compulsion to do it, like I was trying to atone for something. I even set every last detail back to Fender specs.... neck relief, string height, pickup height.... and I installed 12-52 nickels as if it were 1955. I then found the original Fender strap that came with it and spent part of that afternoon stitching up places that had come undone over the years.

Am I sick, losing my mind, depressed, or about to die? I already know I'm a misanthrope with Avoidant Personality Disorder, I'm just wondering what the whole Tele thing was all about. Maybe holiday blues venting in odd ways.

i know how you feel. actually, the holidays get me down. i feel like such an outsider. it passes but then ..so do good feelings. no magic answer for me other than to express myself - i try not to hide behind anything. i've realized questions don't answer themselves. i dig for meaning in the trouble spots.

Karen

The older I get the more I hate winter' date=' the short days, the cold, the nit wits who will not shovel the snow off their sidewalks, prying my dog off the lawn when she freezes up doing her business.

When I take her for a walk I spend more time wrapping myself up in layers of clothes then I do walking.

I spent hours dragging crap out of the freezing attic to hang on a tree, just to turn around and waste hours taking them all off the blasted tree and dragging them back up into the attic.

Bah humbug......:D [/quote']

Yes Jaxson, that's exactly it!

I couldn't even be bothered dragging the tree up the stairs this year so I put up this sort of 'RONCO-instant-tree' thing..... ya just plug it in and voila! It'll take me all of 3 minutes to unplug it and take it back downstairs. Then I shovelled the snow for the tenth time and attempted to get into my backyard to access my recycle bin.

Bah humbug!

GG.......I'm pretty sure a new guitar would cheer you up.....lol' date=' hang in there, girl!!![/quote']

It might be awhile before that happens. I have to buy a used SUV just to get to work and back as the old car has been complaining lately. [angry] Can't say as I blame the poor old thing . And my goal of buying a horse this year has gone out the window too. I hate it when necessity has to take precedence over desire :D

Had some severe sudden plumbing problems the week before Christmas which meant there was very little Christmas..... so it's difficult for me to be cheery right yet. Plumbing in the house, not personal plumbing. The young plumber was at my house an hour after I called him and did $600 worth of work the next day. I promised him he would be paid immediately after I got the bill since he was so good at coming when called, and by God he got his money even if it wiped out the Christmas money.

Yes, there's that 'necessity versus desire' thing again. It seems unfair sometimes. Okay, it seems unfair all the time. Scott, there'll be another Christmas next year. And Valentine's Day and Mother's Day, etc. There's no shortage of holidays coming at ya!

I'm just wondering what the whole Tele thing was all about.

Hmmm. Maybe you're just deciding that the original, with all its parts, was better. Sounds like a positive epiphany to me!

When school starts back up I'm sure I'll start to hate everything.

My parents used to say to me that someday I'll wish I was back in school. I hate to admit it but they were right. At least you could skip out of school. The worst that would happen is a REPORT TO OFFICE AFTER HOMEROOM slip (RTO) and my name announced over the intercom.[biggrin] The RTO's were pink and I had them plastered all over the inside of my locker, like wallpaper.

Sorry Das, this probably isn't going to make you feel better about going back.

Karen-

As a musician, you're best to go with what you're feeling. Feelin' down?...cruise YouTube and find some authentic Muddy Waters blues, or check out Charley Patton and Bertha Lee's blues (Bertha Lee has the best vibrato in her voice ever!) This is music that communicates to people on a basic human level, plus it has some of the greatest guitar licks and vocal phrasings ever...to study as a musician. Perhaps, as a musician...what you're feeling is leading you to explore this music! Don't feel down...enjoy these musicians' artistry.

To make it easier for ya...here's some YouTube clips...

Muddy Waters: Rollin' Stone

Charley Patton & Bertha Lee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_pXq9pZvi8

Blues music doesn't give ya the blues...it takes away the blues!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

i know how you feel. actually' date=' the holidays get me down. i feel like such an outsider. it passes but then ..so do good feelings. no magic answer for me other than to express myself - i try not to hide behind anything. i've realized questions don't answer themselves. i dig for meaning in the trouble spots.[/quote']

Cunk, as usual, your words are perfect descriptors. I know I don't fit a mold that holidays create, which makes me feel displaced. It's uncomfortable.

Karen-

As a musician' date=' you're best to go with what you're feeling. Feelin' down?...cruise YouTube and find some authentic Muddy Waters blues, or check out Charley Patton and Bertha Lee's blues (Bertha Lee has the best vibrato in her voice ever!) This is music that communicates to people on a basic human level, plus it has some of the greatest guitar licks and vocal phrasings ever...to study as a musician. Perhaps, as a musician...what you're feeling is leading you to explore this music! Don't feel down...enjoy these musicians' artistry.

To make it easier for ya...here's some YouTube clips...

Muddy Waters: Rollin' Stone

Charley Patton & Bertha Lee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_pXq9pZvi8

Blues music doesn't give ya the blues...it takes away the blues!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff[/quote']

Thanks Jeff! I just made a cup of tea and I'm going to watch these right now. I know tea doesn't really go with blues but I'll pretend it's whiskey.

I've got 10 days off and should be thrilled to sit and play but just can't seem to get motivated.[biggrin]

Sadly, I find the more days off I have, the deeper I fall into depression. Somehow, I feed off the struggle between 9-to-5 work and time off. When I have time off I usually spend it recording, but it depresses me.

I'm listening to "Goodbye Babylon." Probably not the best choice.

I wonder about the S.A.D. lights.

Archived