Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else feel down after the holidays?

Gilliangirl

We were a little down around our house this Christmas........our good ol' "Ruby the Dog" died on Christmas morning. She was a 6 week old puppy when my then 11 year old daughter picked her out at the Humane Society three days before Christmas 1995. We knew the day was coming, but her passing away has been a little harder to deal with then I thought it would be.

So, after moping around the house for a couple of days, my wife, daughter and I decided it was time for a marathon "Vicar of Dibley" film festival. At our house, a bottomless bowl of popcorn and anything that causes serious fits of long term laughter are just what the doctor ordered.

BTW, last year when we were literally up to our eyeballs in snow, it was a Cosby Show marathon and the year before that when we were also buried in snow, it was a Jeeves and Wooster marathon.

I just listened to the Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas Special on HDNET Concerts. OMG can that man rock!!!!

Nothing like watching a virtuoso on the guitar to pick up your spirits!

"Oh what fun it is to ride in a '57 Chevrolet!"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUyQdolNop0[/YOUTUBE]

Doug, that WAS fun! I love the snow effect. And Brian doesn't even look at his hands when he rips off one of those guitar solos. Must be nice to be able to play like that.

It is time to lay down those acoustics' date=' pick up your favorite Electric, crank up that amp and play some good old Rock and Roll. It will lift your spirits and make you young again.[/quote']

I have no electrics but I've got an acoustic that plugs in. I'm going downstairs to the music room tonight, plugging in, and sitting in front of my fake fireplace! [biggrin]

We were a little down around our house this Christmas........our good ol' "Ruby the Dog" died on Christmas morning. She was a 6 week old puppy when my then 11 year old daughter picked her out at the Humane Society three days before Christmas 1995. We knew the day was coming' date=' but her passing away has been a little harder to deal with then I thought it would be.

So, after moping around the house for a couple of days, my wife, daughter and I decided it was time for a marathon "Vicar of Dibley" film festival. At our house, a bottomless bowl of popcorn and anything that causes serious fits of long term laughter are just what the doctor ordered.

BTW, last year when we were literally up to our eyeballs in snow, it was a Cosby Show marathon and the year before that when we were also buried in snow, it was a Jeeves and Wooster marathon. [/quote']

Oh gawd, I am SO SORRY for the loss of Ruby. I know the pain of losing a beloved family pet all too well. How wonderful that she had a long happy life with your family. Last Christmas my 17 year old cat almost died but after spending $2700.00 to get her through the crisis, she survived. I'm still paying the bill off, but she is still with me so it was worth it. Give yourself some time to grieve, then consider getting another dog. It won't replace her, but it will give you another wonderful little life to invest your emotions in again. There's lots of loving dogs out there who need a good home.

I hear ya on the benefits of TV marathons. I once had a Meg Ryan marathon and watched every single movie she was in, back to back, through a whole week (I had the flu). It was great to escape. Another favourite is the Golden Girls. Blanche cracks me up every time.

We knew the day was coming' date=' but her passing away has been a little harder to deal with then I thought it would be.

[/quote']

Bummer Roy!

We lost an Irish Wolfhound ***** a few months ago and she leaves a big hole in the house.

Tell you what helped us?

We went out and adopted a totally deaf JRT one year old.

Night one....

He picked a fight with the other two dogs and bit each one of the three of us!!

Surprisingly he is still here after 9 weeks.

Trouble is we can't name him something to do with not calling him I guess.

Silly little story I know and not designed to do anything but raise a small smile in the corner of your mouth!!

Losing a dog is the pits! But it' s part of owning one.

And you are right knowing the day is coming is one thing....... but driving to the vet is another

All best mate and Happy New Year

John

The one true cure for any depression is a Kylie Minogue video. Trust me. No matter the ill, you will feel better after watching a couple or twelve. Even Pepsi ads will suffice.

I've ruined three remotes so far, spilling Pepsi on them.....

Don't even get me started on her Agent Provocateur ad.

The one true cure for any depression is a Kylie Minogue video. Trust me. No matter the ill' date=' you will feel better after watching a couple or twelve. Even Pepsi ads will suffice.

[youtube']

..ewww! what's this all over the remote?!?!?!?

oh, its..um...pepsi, honey. why do you ask?[confused]

Its kind of interesting that the term "blues" in music didn't even originally equate to the down and out feeling when it originated during the early period of the records in the 1920s and early 30s (when such original blues artists as Charlie Patton were making music.) Musicians such as Charlie Patton actually played barrelhouses where people from the plantations danced to the lively music Patton often played. It was the record companies that code worded music by race that lead to the term blues. When the Singing Brakeman, Jimmy Rodgers sang the same music that was marketed to caucasians in the south, it was called hillbilly music and though Rodgers' songs often closely mirror the structures of the same music marketed as blues, his music was considered at the time to be hillbilly, differentiated from the blues by its use of Yodel rather than Blues in their titles as many African American music titles contained at the time. In Rodgers' song titles, they instead referred to Yodel such as Rodgers' Blue Yodel @1, Blue Yodel @2, etc. Yet, when virtually the same music was marketed to African Americans in the south it was referred to as the blues. Further complicating the thang is Rodgers often hung around with the African Americans who sang the same music...but, they were all at the mercy of the record companies' marketing strong arm. Overtime, the term blues stuck and, of course, developed into its own genre with a 12 bar structure (something the blues didn't necessarily match when it was originally popular in delta barrelhouses or on their records.) Pretty fascinating to study the early blues music of the 20s and 30s and see how its become almost institutionalized as well as stereotyped over time. (There's actually people who really think all blues songs begin with "Woke up this morning". Oy!)

BTW...Karen, I hope you're feeling better from the holiday blues.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

SAD "Seasonal Affective Disorder" is something I deal with, every winter! So, it's worse...often times,

at the Holidays. But, as soon as it even acts like it's going to warm up, toward Spring...it's like it just

evaporates, until the following Fall (mid Oct/Nov).

So, to answer your original question...Yeah! But, we'll get through it! Music, "The Blues," especially...helps

me, a LOT! Exercise, is great, too...IF you can do that. It's hard to get movtivated, if it's blowing snow,

and below zero, outside! But, even some indoor exercise, will help.

CB

The holidays don't get me down. In fact, I feel much better after the solstice - Dec 22 this year - because the days start getting longer, the cure for lack of light. Not since I was a kid did I get that after holiday let down. Maybe I don't set my expectations too high or maybe I just let myself enjoy the season.

The one true cure for any depression is a Kylie Minogue video. Trust me. No matter the ill' date=' you will feel better after watching a couple or twelve. Even Pepsi ads will suffice.

[youtube']

You're a bad man Modfather but quite correct, as always.

When I grow up I might marry her!

Archived