Gibson Brands Forums

of course it's real!

jannusguy

it says gibson right on the headstock! that was the seller's response when i emailed they were selling a fake.

My cousin was in a motorcycle accident a few years ago.... brain damage to the point where he's in a VA hospital for the rest of his life. His brother went in to clean up his affairs and found 44 guitars.... probably 15 of them were "fake" Gibsons, (one "fake" Martin that turned out to be a Yamaha). I had to sell all those guitars not knowing what they really were, I just made sure the people knew there WEREN'T Gibsons.

here's a reply i got from the seller:

THANKS FOR YOUR WONDERFUL INPUT ...AND I PITY THE POOR ***** WHO HAS TO LIVE WITH A PESKY BASTURD LIKE YOU ...NOW MOVE ALONG BEFORE I BREAK OUT THE RAID...I JUST HATE PESKY KNOW IT ALLS..WHO DON'T KNOW CRAP !!! GET A LIFE .

deb sounds like a real sweetie!

THANKS FOR YOUR WONDERFUL INPUT ...AND I PITY THE POOR ***** WHO HAS TO LIVE WITH A PESKY BASTURD LIKE YOU ...NOW MOVE ALONG BEFORE I BREAK OUT THE RAID...I JUST HATE PESKY KNOW IT ALLS..WHO DON'T KNOW CRAP !!! GET A LIFE .

And here is the reply that I got:

LISTEN SIR !!! READ MY UPDATE !!! IT SAYS GIBSON ON THE ARM..I AM NOT MISREPRESENTING ANYTHING..IF YOU COULD READ YOU WOULD SEE IN MY UPDATE THAT I POSTED SOMEONE SAID ITS NOT A GIBSON !!! AND THAT I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GUITARS...I DID NOT LIE..IT SAYS GIBSON !!!! NOW GO AWAY !!!

When did Gibson start calling the headstock an "arm"?

DJ

i think i'm in love.

I may be the ebay member she refers to. I have since emailed her again (politely again) explaining how, without seeing the guitar in the flesh, it is quite easy to say it is not a gibson. I apologised for any offence caused and explained I merely wanted to help her avoid Gibson's legal team. I expect more sarcasm. I could care less..... so - somebody, raise it with Gibson and see if they want to illuminate her. Or something. Life's too short.

My responce------------

would you people please get a life..read the post i made !!!! I didn't say it was a original it could be...I don't know you !!!! but it sounds like your one of them know it alls...move along and go find someone else to harrass..i stated in my auction that it just says gibson !!!! do you not see it..i also stated that I don't know one thing about guitars !!!! they know now so bug off ..it's their choice ...now go away !!!!

I'm one of them know it alls!!

I looked up the EBay item in question a while ago, it's STILL there, and here is EXACTLY what the seller added to his listing but changed nothing else:

"UPDATE ! PLEASE READ ! I HAVE HAD A MESSAGE SENT TO ME VIA EMAIL FROM AN EBAYER WHOM I HAVE NEVER MET. HE SAYS THIS IS NOT A GIBSON GUITAR...HE HAS NEVER SEEN THIS GUITAR SO I DON'T KNOW HOW HE CAME TO THIS CONCLUSION...ESPECIALLY SINCE IT PLAINLY STATES GIBSON ON IT. ...I DID WANT TO POST THIS THOUGH BECAUSE I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GUITARS..THE ONLY THING I KNOW ABOUT THIS GUITAR IS MY DAD HAS HAD IT IN STORAGE FOR MANY MANY YEARS...SO I DO KNOW THAT IT IS VINTAGE !!! IT ALSO SAYS AS PLAIN AS DAY ON IT GIBSON..SO THAT'S WHY I PUT GIBSON GUITAR ...I WILL LET YOU BE THE JUDGE...THANKS SO MUCH ..."

I flagged his post for violations of Ebay's search and browse manipulation policy. ie: using brand name to draw attention to his items.

I emailed him and told him it was definitely NOT a Gibson and he needed to revise his listing, and guess what? No reply!

What an idiot!

Does anyone recognise the black and orange label inside it?

Looks kinda familiar to me - like Shaftsbury or Yamaha or something.....

Sure don't look like any "vintage" Gibson label from this scheme:

1908 to 1932 - oval white to off-white label

1947 to 1955 - oval white to off-white label

1955 to 1964 - oval orange label

1964 to 1969 - oval orange label (Union Made)

1969 to - rectangular white with black and purple triangles "Norlin" label

Or am I missing something? So far they haven't replied to me. Probably a good thing..... [crying]

Woah - suddenly a load of Q&A appeared. Smacks of arse-covering to me.

And no' date=' thermi - nobody here recognises that orange and black label.....

And after all that Q&A, still there were ten bids and it sold for $255, amazing. [thumbup]

Archived