Gibson Brands Forums

New guy with new SG Standard!

Burstbucker

While I'm no expert by any means on SG guitars, if I had to bet my own money, I'd bet that most of the fellows out there that think that their SG is one solid plank of Mahogany actually have a guitar made of two or three pieces glued together, expertly matched to make it very hard to spot to the untrained eye. That's just a hunch of course. I think that large slabs of this stuff must be getting pretty hard to come by these days.

I can imagine that the SGs that are painted a solid colour could possibly even have four pieces hiding underneath all of that paint![crying]

With all of that being said, I don't think that it makes the guitar any less great just because it isn't one solid piece of Mahogany, YMMV.

Maybe you're one of the lucky ones that got a one piece body, I just don't know how common that is anymore in this day and age. Either way, I'll bet that you've got yourself a kickass guitar.

But you'd think that Gibson would set those apart from the other SGs who are two or three piece and charge a premium for the ones that are 1-piece bodies, that way everybody would get a similar product since they're all paying the same price for guitars that are all labeled "SG Standard". Shouldn't they all have the same build quality if the price is the same right across the board?

BTW, how often do you guys oil your fretboard? Do you go by how long it's been since the last oiling or strictly on the appearance of the wood? If the wood looks dark and doesn't appear to be dry, should you leave it alone?

There was just a discussion of fret doctor in the lounge...

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

You may laugh at this, but fret doctor is "bore doctor" in larger bottles!

The guy is a fifer. The web site above kinda answers a lot of question about stuff to put onto a fingerboard.

To the SG...

Frankly I like pretty, and the original poster's guitar is that. If it plays well, etc., etc., for the owner, that's the important thing. Period. A Gibson should have sufficiently good electronics and everything else that one has a lifetime keeper.

I think the SG is likely one of the more versatile and even comfortable-on-a-gig designs that ever has come down the pike. If I hadda figure which of my pieces would have to go and which one to keep... I dunno. Hollow, semi, the SG design... I dunno.

When I was younger I stupidly traded back and forth for different guitars 'cuz I thought they "fit" the gigs I was doing. Now I think I was stupid and should have considered more, "am I happy and feeling this instrument is part of me?"

m

Archived