Gibson Brands Forums

Itunes/ the internet Vs. Record stores and CDs

nikko18

I buy CDs that I know I'll want to keep, so usually it's old albums or something by artists I've liked for years. But I'll buy from iTunes or similar services if I want it fast, or if there is just one song I'd like to hear. I wish you could buy more online in a lossless format though, like FLAC which is what I use if I rip CDs to put on my PC. I also download illegally, mostly stuff that's hard to find nowadays but in the past when it wasn't illegal I did it lots. It was a great way to try out new things you werent sure you'd like or what it even was.

I do miss going to record stores though. I'm lucky to be old enough to have been around when it was vinyl only. Bought my first album when I was 6 years old (Iron Maiden's Killers) and ever since I loved to go in and flip though the LPs/CDs just looking at the covers, talking to the people working there (back in the day those people actually knew stuff and took time to get to know you and what you liked!). At one point I pretty much spent all money I had on albums and guitar strings.

I use itunes for impulse buys, if I only want one song off of an album.

Otherwise, I check what the library to see what CDs they got in stock. (I've had them get them from as far away NYC)

CDs are preferred.

Archived