Gibson Brands Forums

Tone difference between old and new ES 355 Customs?

crazyhair

I've been looking for a vintage 355 because of the sound, but settled for a new one because I got tired of bidding. I haven't received it yet but got to wondering if there is much of a difference in sound between the old and the new. I would hope Gibson would still have the same quality and be able to reproduce the tone and of course depending on the strings and amp that I play on.

Any thoughts O Guru of the Gibson.

Not sure what era vintage 355 you were looking for, but a new one will probably compare quite favorably, particularly after it has been played for a while. Individual instruments can vary so widely that it's impossible to say for sure, you really have to play them side by side, and often for quite some time to be able to make that kind of determination.

Yes, and in many cases they'll compare favorably to the 50s originals. There are a lot of opinions on this, of course, but I'd not hesitate to purchase a new Gibson ES335. I would want to play and examine it first, however, as with all Gibson eras there are great ones, good ones, average ones and some that are maybe, well, less good. ;-)

Archived