Gibson Brands Forums

This is why kids should drink.

dem00n

Well its fortunate that they found it, but it's sickening to me that any 13 yr old would down that much alchohol.

Personally I think a lot of other countries are doing it right with no drinking age. Then the kids grow up around it and most importantly dont feel like rebels when they drink below the legal age.

Fun facts:

3.2% of deaths worldwide were the result of alcohol

The higher the wealth of a country, the higher the percentage of women drinking alcohol.

drinking caused more than half of the deaths among adult Russians between 1990 and 2001

Globally, average alcohol consumption per person is the equivalent of about 1.6 gallons (6.2 liters) of pure ethanol a year

No one in my house drinks....If my daughter ever starts ill nip it in the bud...Pronto!

That's assuming you'll be aware of it. The older and more independent they get the greater the difficulty in staying in close touch with them and their daily activities. Good luck with that, Dad.

Yeah, I think the problem with booze and drugs is the natural "teen" inclination to do what they're not supposed to.

Anybody who thinks they need not be concerned about it for themselves or those around them is nuts.

I was brought up where "a drink" was considered nice, and drunkenness as "not nice, comfortable or dignified." Even as a teen except for an experiment (what would it take to get reeally drunk?), that's pretty much what I did.

Except... I got my scare at 20-21 when everybody I worked with drank a lot. An awful lot. When one 50-something co-worker narrowly missed getting dead, I decided I needed to be somewhere else without that sort of environment. Quit for a year. Didn't miss it, so ever since then I may take a drink or, in the summer, a beer. Not much at all, though.

Cruzn's right, too, about parents not really knowing what might go on after a certain point in a kid's life. I'm glad I'm neither a teen nor a parent...

m

Well its fortunate that they found it' date=' but it's sickening to me that any 13 yr old would down that much alchohol.

Personally I think a lot of other countries are doing it right with no drinking age. Then the kids grow up around it and most importantly dont feel like rebels when they drink below the legal age.

Fun facts:

3.2% of deaths worldwide were the result of alcohol

The higher the wealth of a country, the higher the percentage of women drinking alcohol.

drinking caused more than half of the deaths among adult Russians between 1990 and 2001

Globally, average alcohol consumption per person is the equivalent of about 1.6 gallons (6.2 liters) of pure ethanol a year

i agree with you 100%. being only 16, every time an adult tells me not to do something, it gives me the urge to turn around and actually do it. but i dont drink or do drugs or anything. i know the consequences. ive seen friends get drunk, ive seen friends when they're high, and trust me.... it aint pretty. i even know a guy who died drinking and driving, and another who is now paralyzed from the neck down because of that same accident. and he didnt even drink at all, he just drove with his friend that was wasted. and then there was another guy that was high on weed and he drove 3 of his friends home from a party. got in an accident. he was unharmed but 2 of his friends were killed. he now has to live with that guilt for the rest of his life.... that would be the worst feeling in the world. which is why i dont do that stuff.... cuz i know its bad for you. [biggrin]

BTW, Gibsonkid...

<grin>

What makes you think btw <chortle> that only teens have the bad habit of at least mentally telling "them" to kiss off?

I'm roughly four times your age... Alas... but...

The problem is that teens today simply are young adults with adult attitudes in an era of the world that considers them children rather than pressing adult expectations onto them as has been done in the past.

For example, a Colt .45 single action revolver I'm dying to get into the local museum from an area ranch family was brought up the trail around 1890 by a 13-year-old cowboy who took a man's place in life, with a young man's responsibilities and - yup, was treated as such. By local standards he did quite well and his family remains on the ranch he founded.

Ditto for girls. More than a few 16-18-year-old young women who passed their exams taught as adult schoolteachers in prairie rural schools and tales remain of their deaths in the blizzards of the late 1880s on the Northern Plains as they sought to protect children placed in their charge.

I rather look with more than a bit of nostalgia at the days when adult responsibility was expected of young adults. Yeah, it likely was a bit rough on some, but... they recognized the escalating responsibility of growing into their later teens, 20s and beyond and mostly accepted it.

Still, don't let anybody "kid" you, older folks can be just as much kids as 16-year-olds. They just don't describe it that way. The more fortunate of us manage to mostly keep the best part of a kid's enthusiasm and "wonder" at the world with the damnable responsibility of adulthood - as though we, too, were 16 as we should have been.

m

That's assuming you'll be aware of it. The older and more independent they get the greater the difficulty in staying in close touch with them and their daily activities. Good luck with that' date=' Dad.[/quote']

I can tell. I have all five senses and they work very well indeed.

BTW' date=' Gibsonkid...

<grin>

What makes you think btw <chortle> that only teens have the bad habit of at least mentally telling "them" to kiss off?

I'm roughly four times your age... Alas... but...

The problem is that teens today simply are young adults with adult attitudes in an era of the world that considers them children rather than pressing adult expectations onto them as has been done in the past.

For example, a Colt .45 single action revolver I'm dying to get into the local museum from an area ranch family was brought up the trail around 1890 by a 13-year-old cowboy who took a man's place in life, with a young man's responsibilities and - yup, was treated as such. By local standards he did quite well and his family remains on the ranch he founded.

Ditto for girls. More than a few 16-18-year-old young women who passed their exams taught as adult schoolteachers in prairie rural schools and tales remain of their deaths in the blizzards of the late 1880s on the Northern Plains as they sought to protect children placed in their charge.

I rather look with more than a bit of nostalgia at the days when adult responsibility was expected of young adults. Yeah, it likely was a bit rough on some, but... they recognized the escalating responsibility of growing into their later teens, 20s and beyond and mostly accepted it.

Still, don't let anybody "kid" you, older folks can be just as much kids as 16-year-olds. They just don't describe it that way. The more fortunate of us manage to mostly keep the best part of a kid's enthusiasm and "wonder" at the world with the damnable responsibility of adulthood - as though we, too, were 16 as we should have been.

m

[/quote']

hmm..... very well put milod!! O:)

Archived