Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker PRO vs. Burstbucker 1/2/3

obelix5150

I know the Pro's an alnico V and the BBs 1/2/3 are alnico IIs; essentially what I'm curious about is, which will sound better in a Les Paul (bridge position) for stuff like Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC, and others in that vein? I'm first and foremost worried about clarity, coming from Tokai stock pickups which were pretty muddy. I also want something with some vintage aggression, pretty much like the bands listed above.

Dont forget about the '57 Classic Plus for the bridge position. Also, you won't have any problem with clarity from any of the Gibson pickups you mentioned.

Something else to consider: Having the right guitar, pickups, and AMP are very important in determining your tone. All the bands you listed below let their amps do a considerable amount of the work for their overdriven tone. So, if you insert a pickup that is very hot, it will hit the input of your amp harder thus pushing the pre-amp tubes harder. Pre-amp tube distortion is not the best way to get the tones you are seeking, but Power tube distortion is.

Yeah, I'm not looking for anything too hot, I just considered the BBs first, I don't know why :P

My guitar is great, as well as my amp; it can sound great with the right guitar and pickups. My tone is already pretty good; I'm just trying to rectify the muddiness of the stock pickups.

My main question is, which pickups would be more "ideal" for stuff like Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin, ect?

Archived