Gibson Brands Forums

Help with my 335

dallasblues

I've got an ES 335 that I bought new a couple of years ago. It's the one that had the satin finish and no neck binding. It's a really nice sounding guitar and is getting more comfortable to play as time goes on. The only problem I have with it is that won't stay in tune. I've read that this a common problem with Gibsons and am considering changing tuners. Has anyone tried the TonePros Kluson tuners? They appear to be just an upgrade of the machines that Gibson is already putting on their instruments. I'd like to hear if anyone has had similar tuning problems with their guitars and what (if any) changes helped.

Also... My 335 is the cherry satin finish that Gibson offered a short time ago. Can anyone tell me the best way to polish and clean this guitar?

Thanks

I've got an ES 335 that I bought new a couple of years ago. It's the one that had the satin finish and no neck binding. It's a really nice sounding guitar and is getting more comfortable to play as time goes on. The only problem I have with it is that won't stay in tune. I've read that this a common problem with Gibsons and am considering changing tuners. Has anyone tried the TonePros Kluson tuners? They appear to be just an upgrade of the machines that Gibson is already putting on their instruments. I'd like to hear if anyone has had similar tuning problems with their guitars and what (if any) changes helped.

Also... My 335 is the cherry satin finish that Gibson offered a short time ago. Can anyone tell me the best way to polish and clean this guitar?

Thanks

Chances are, that the tuners are not to blame for the tuning issues. Most common is the string binding at the nut. To prevent this you can put a little Big Bends Nut Sauce, or even pencil graphite. That should solve it.

I don't know what Gibson recommends for their Satin Finishes, but why would you even need to clean the satin finish? No fingerprints or anything like that.

Anyway, here is a link from Martin's website in relation to cleaning satin finishes.

Check under Care and Feeding or FAQ.

Oh yeah... And the cleaning thing... It's not for fingerprints... just sweat and grime.

Damp Cloth is recommended by most manufacturers as stated before.

If you're sure its not the nut, then change them. You could try the kidney bean grovers?

...."I'd like to hear if anyone has had similar tuning problems with their guitars and what (if any) changes helped."

I've got an '07 red satin 335 with the same problem only with me, it was the nut. I confirmed it by holding the neck with the palm of my hand behind the nut, hitting a string, then pressing down on the string with the thumb of the same hand. When the pitch remained higher, I'd stretch the string normally from the fingerboard side of the neck and the pitch would then lower. A little work with a nut file straightened things right out. I had to do my 'A' string slot and have still to do the 'D' string.

Regarding polish, I use this stuff. It's not a great cleaner but I'd rather err on the side of doing less.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Guitar-Polish-Cloth-String-Winder-Picks-Care-Pak_W0QQitemZ180452339831QQcategoryZ47077QQcmdZViewItem

P.S. My guitar looks identical to the one you have pictured 'cept it's left handed. -RES

Archived