Gibson Brands Forums

Preserve the tortoise but find me a pick!

Johnt

John' date=' would it be easier to capo1 and then do F#m, A7 Dmaj7 G#m7 C#m7 ??[/quote']

Yes you're right it would. Wheres that Kyser ( Oh I feel a thread coming on!)

Tell you what I found GG.

Something even easier than that....

Put the SWD 12 in it's case and plug in the 335

Ebmaj7 Has no fears for me now where's that 11th fret?

By the way I do hope you are feeling better you were off sciving with a head cold the other day.

You girls don't know the meaning of ill..........we have to suffer "man flu"

BR

John

I actually like plastic heavy, but I have been using the clayton ultem .96mm? I like those also. Considering one of these red bear picks, but I don't want to spend $20 and find it was a waist. I'd like to hear more feedback on them. Will they really last a long time if your a heavy strummer? I think what bothers me in avery hard pick is that they can develop a somewhat noisy sound when contacting the strings as compared to plastic which may not be as responsive, but at the same time is less noisy on contact. Seems softer which in moderation can be a plus for me. Balance is important;)

I actually like plastic heavy' date=' but I have been using the clayton ultem .96mm? I like those also. Considering one of these red bear picks, but I don't want to spend $20 and find it was a waist. I'd like to hear more feedback on them. Will they really last a long time if your a heavy strummer? I think what bothers me in avery hard pick is that they can develop a somewhat noisy sound when contacting the strings as compared to plastic which may not be as responsive, but at the same time is less noisy on contact. Seems softer which in moderation can be a plus for me. Balance is important;) [/quote']

No Huge experience but In my quest I ventured 16 euros on a C type medium. As you may have read I find it too heavy and yes you're right in that it is noisy. Can take it out thorugh the notch filter but acoustically it doesn't forgive you much if you know what I mean.

The other snag with them, admitted by RB themselves is that they are very brittle which is why, being a tight fisted brit, I ordered a tri-corner!

That will not stop me gettin g a C Type Light when and if the Uk distributor gets them in. Red Bear themselves don't seem to want to sell from the US site. I can't enter their store!

As interested as you to hear from someone with more experience than me with them

BR

John

Something even easier than that....

Put the SWD 12 in it's case and plug in the 335

[-X O:)/

I didn't realize you were playing a 12-string.... yikes!

I am feeling better, thank you. There is something to be said, tho', for sitting around in yer jammies all day, feeling sorry for yerself, playing guitar and posting on the forum. That makes being sick so much better!

JohnT-This is really weird. I was just in the middle of reading your post about the Dunlops and Ultems, hadn't even finished reading it and there is a knock on my door. Open it and there is a little box sitting there and a UPS driver wobbling down my stairs. It's from ........................................Musicians' Friend!! I open it and inside I find one bottle of Gibson Pump Polish, one set of J-200 medium strings (at least I have the friggin' strings!), one Planet Waves CTM Chordmaster-Tuner-Metronome, One Dunlop pick holder and................ta da...12 Ultem .72mm guitar picks!! The Apocolypse is near.. Holy Crap, I can't wait. My Dunlop tri-corners are .73 and I don't like the .88 so I'm glad I only bought 1 of them . The guy at Bullfrog Music here sells them for 50 cnts. apiece. Anyway, I'm going to try them and see how they do. They look small compared to my Dunlops so I don't know if I can keep ahold of them or not. Time will tell. That's all for now, and Bob's your uncle!

JohnT-This is really weird. I was just in the middle of reading your post about the Dunlops and Ultems' date=' hadn't even finished reading it and there is a knock on my door. Open it and there is a little box sitting there and a UPS driver wobbling down my stairs. It's from ........................................Musicians' Friend!! I open it and inside I find one bottle of Gibson Pump Polish, one set of J-200 medium strings (at least I have the friggin' strings!), one Planet Waves CTM Chordmaster-Tuner-Metronome, One Dunlop pick holder and................ta da...12 Ultem .72mm guitar picks!! The Apocolypse is near.. Holy Crap, I can't wait. My Dunlop tri-corners are .73 and I don't like the .88 so I'm glad I only bought 1 of them . The guy at Bullfrog Music here sells them for 50 cnts. apiece. Anyway, I'm going to try them and see how they do. They look small compared to my Dunlops so I don't know if I can keep ahold of them or not. Time will tell. That's all for now, and Bob's your uncle![/size']

Well Fedex and UPS conspired to get our kit to us on the same day..spooky!

Tell us how you get on with the Metronome/Tuner/teamaker/chord dispenser thingy when you've had a play? Sounds quite ineteresting.

I think I ordered wrong Dunlops as mine are pear shaped ( as the actress said to the bishop!) which did you recommend agin?

All in all v happy with the Claytons

BR

John

I do like the Clayton Ultem picks. They are smaller that the Dunlops I have, but not much. Also they are easier to hold on to than I thought they'd be. Very nice. The Planet Waves CTM (Chordmaster, Tuner, Metronome) LOOKS nice but as with all other electronics, it needs a power source. In this case, missing AAA batteries. I was all set to look up Ebmaj7 but must wait 'til tommorrow. JohnT-I'm afraid the Yanks have snookered the Brits once again. Upon re-exam, the Dunlop picks are Ultex 426p, not 421's. I owe ya' a pint! Here's what they should look like. I still like them a lot and they have much the same feel as the Claytons. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-426P-Ultex-Rounded-Triangle-Picks-6Pack?sku=110036

Will report on the CTM after battery installation.

I seem to recall a similar thread a year or so ago in which one of our august members mentioned making picks out of milk bottles! I had tried credit cards when they were thick and brittle, but now that you can find them more flexible and thinner, I keep thinking of making some -so that the embossed acct/name info is where I try to hold on. Probably don't like 99% of the ones I've tried. I guess we feel the same way about our picks that surgeons feel about their gloves. The best pick I ever used was a red Martin with a thicker top end with a groove you could really hold onto. I had three. Wore the business ends down so you could almost see through them. Till they split finally.

I was all set to look up Ebmaj7 but must wait 'til tommorrow. JohnT-I'm afraid the Yanks have snookered the Brits once again. Upon re-exam' date=' the Dunlop picks are Ultex 426p, not 421's. I owe ya' a pint! Here's what they should look like. I still like them a lot and they have much the same feel as the Claytons. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-426P-Ultex-Rounded-Triangle-Picks-6Pack?sku=110036

Will report on the CTM after battery installation.[/size']

I think the confusion was six of one and half a dozen of the other" buy hey you're recommended picks @ $1 each not 1968 Les Paul standards so I can offered at least 2 such errors.

BW I noticed that you had ordered a new pick holder.

That's really interesting!

Do you know what I use to hold my picks ( scroll down and wait for it!)

I've got this old tortoise shell

John

JohnT- The Planet Waves CTM (chordmaster, turner, metronome) seems to be a pretty nifty product. It's not straightforward so I had to take my beer off the directions and read them! I think once I get used to navigating around on it that I'll enjoy it. At $39.99 it's not a bank breaker.

Mike (GStrummer)- I love the Claytons. They're really responsive, not too thick but really bring the strings alive. They have much the same feel as the Dunlop 426P's but their shape makes it easier to hit individual strings. I really like the feel of both of these picks and will probably continue to use both.

JohnT-What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?.......................You can wash your Fice in a bison!

JohnT- The Planet Waves CTM (chordmaster' date=' turner, metronome) seems to be a pretty nifty product. It's not straightforward so I had to take my beer off the directions and read them! I think once I get used to navigating around on it that I'll enjoy it. At $39.99 it's not a bank breaker.

Mike (GStrummer)- I love the Claytons. They're really responsive, not too thick but really bring the strings alive. They have much the same feel as the Dunlop 426P's but their shape makes it easier to hit individual strings. I really like the feel of both of these picks and will probably continue to use both.

JohnT-What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?.......................You can wash your Fice in a bison! [/size']

Yes happy with Claytons too just taking them down a notch to .56 but I feel that's going to be too light.

Interested in the Planet Waves thingy but it's probably too high tec for me looks like a PDA and I break them!

Your very old joke reminds me of the tap dancer who broke a leg when he fell into the bath.

BR

JOhn

Archived