Gibson Brands Forums

CS-336 Neck Reset??

Talafur

Hi,

I am a proud CS-336 owner. I decided to make a change on my original strings for once about 2 years ago and Long & McQuade guy in Toronto (Bloor) advised me to use 0.12 flatwound strings, which I followed. Then I noticed a slight bending on the fretboard from 11th fret till the last one. i.e when I hit a note , the last fret causes vibration and therefore poor quality suppression of the sustain.. O:)

I am quite unhappy now, what can I do? Take my guitar to the same store (which also happen to be the Gibson authorized dealer in Toronto) or take somewhere else (not to fall into another mistake)? Those guys are good usually, but I haven't purchased my guitar from them, I got it from Europe. Would that be a problem, will I end up having to pay lots of money?

Any recommendations? Life-time warranty would not cover that I presume.

Thanks a million,

Akkus

Did you change the strings yourself?

When you changed from (for example) 0.10 to 0.12 it has an influence on the neck, because the strings have a different tension depending on the diameter of the strings and you need to adjust the intonation and perhaps the height of the strings accordingly... but that isn`t a big thing even if you would have to pay for it...

I agree with Shade. Any time you change the diameter of your strings you have to be prepared for some kind of physical change. If it were me, I would take it to a GOOD technician, - usually your experienced player friends can recommend one. He might make adjustments to the truss rod, bridge, etc. to match your strings. Usually a decent setup is between 40 and 80 dollars CDN. If he's good, he'll notice anything out of the ordinary. Even if you had to have a luthier make some adjustments a 336 is worth it!

All you need to correct the neck "bow" is a trussrod adjustment due to the heavier strings. Once you get that corrected you will then need to adjust the bridge saddles for proper intonation of the heavier, flatwound and (probably) wound third string set, and string height to eliminate the fretting-out you describe. None of this is "repair" just general setup that every guitar needs from time to time, and especially when major string guage or type change is made.

Any local "reputable" guitar tech should be able to preform this setup for about $50 - $75.

If you're unable to do the things listed in previous posts, check out The 12th Fret. It's on Danforth Ave (I think near Woodbine but I may be wrong). They have very experienced staff there and great guitar techs working upstairs.

I've taken the subway there a few times when I've been in Toronto. It's within a very short walk from one of the stations on the Bloor east line.

www.12fret.com

Hi there guys!

Happy new year and thanks for all your encouraging comments. Sure, I would take my 336 down to 12th fret. If they care I would not mind paying <100 bucks. I just want my undisturbed and beautiful 336 sound back. I forgot to mention that I switched back to original .10 Gibson strings as soon as I recognized the problem with the neck.

Cheers,

Akkus

A Cimar 1976

A Framus 1979

A Bjornton archtop acoustic 1980

A hand-made acoustic 1987

A Gibson CS-336 2004

• 2 years later...

Hmmm, it has been a while.. I have to update you all to close the loop.

1- I took my CS-336 to Twelfth fret, and one of the technicians talked about having to pay as much as $3,000 to fix the neck.

2- Called my European seller and asked about lifetime warranty. He told me Gibson Europe provides only 2 years of warranty! :(

3- Bounced back to Gibson USA and then to Yorkville Music in Canada, which asked me to talk to another technician in Twelfth fret

4- I went back with my guitar and the technician Brian (god bless) checked and told me that the truss rod was short and stuck in the neck

5- Asked me to spray some lube and wait 24 hrs and take 336 back to him

6- I have sprayed olive oil and it worked! and he added a short metal piece and then was able to fix the neck for me in 3 minutes

7- Charged me nothing and I presented him a glass of homemade olive oil and did lots of shopping from that store and became friends with Brian

All the best!

Akkus

A Cimar 1976

A Framus 1979

A Bjarton archtop 1962

A Gibson ES-120T 1962

A hand-made acoustic 1987

A Gibson CS-336 2004

Archived