Gibson Brands Forums

van halen V steve vai...

S t e v e

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - what next..... Guitar Playing as an Olympic Sport.

Why does it have to be a competition' date=' this guy is better than that guy?

I always liked playing music, and hated the whole "[i']I can piss higher than you[/i]" element.

Seems like nobody just "enjoys" the music, they have to compare and contrast all the time.

Sigh.....

c'mon, it is no fun to hear the good in everything, we also gotta focus on the bad!

[huh][cool]

Thread lol. [lol]

No kidding.....

[crying][cool][blink]

Alas' date=' I have been called out yet again.

Having an opinion in a thread that was started to solicit them, I've somehow run astray....

Oh well.

Here we go folks - with apologies in advance to Duane....

Settle down sunshine[lol] ' date='I'm not here to tell you you're wrong. [/quote']

Really?

You're making quite an effort for... what then?

I'm just saying

Hmmmmm....

There once was a member here who deflected any criticism of his posts by saying exactly that.

Just sayin'....

:-

to make the statements you did w/out having any real prior knowledge of what you are commenting on.

I'd have to say that's a bit insulting' date=' whether humor is involved or not.

From what glorious source have you mined all the data you need to comment on what I may or may not know?

A guitar forum, maybe?

From your flights of fancy in regard to my posts in this thread alone, I can see how much luck you'd have...

Don't jump in and slag off muso's if you have no real prior knowledge of their work.

Don't jump in and expect to instruct me in the proper OPINION I should hold of said 'muso's' or anything else.

I won't even bother with the comment about 'no real prior knowledge' about ANYTHING. Try me....

If my opinion does not match your opinion, then we have a difference of opinion.

I can see how much it bothers you that I do not agree with your illustrious (or illusory) position.

In nuclear power (where I work) we even have what's called a DPO - Differing Professional Opinions.

This goes all the way to the Nuclear Regulatory Commision and other gov't agencies, recognized as such by them.

If they allow me to hold such a differing opinion when I have reason to make a stand on it, do you think I really

give a rat's *** about the guitar players YOU think I should worship?

Really?

:-k

If you want to keep your intelligent facade up mate' date='fine. Who am I break down that wall. [wink']

Facade?

Feel free to challenge me wherever you feel most cocky.

Many have gone before you, most are no longer in the forum.

Whether I 'won' or not is immaterial, they're gone and I hold my opinions and positions still.

Whenever you feel froggy, go ahead and jump.

:D/

Don't care if you were Vai's personal toe nail cutter...were you?[huh] Did you keep any clippings?

Okay' date=' now I admit I'm confused....

First you were insulted because you felt I bagged on poor Vai and didn't give him his due.

Now you're assuming I'm some disciple of his - worshipping at the alter of monkey-handled Ibanez guitars?

WTF?

I DON"T CARE.

I'll even offer as [b']Exhibit A[/b] my words from the FIRST response in this thread.

Don't know why I'm posting here really - I'm not that big a fan of either one.

But seriously I'm being serious...I would love to hear some of your music and maybe we could do an online jam' date='huh?

What do ya reckon?[/quote']

I reckon that you've climbed so far up your own *** (can you hear me now?) in a pissing match over guitar

players you've never met, there's really nowhere to go but measuring penis sizes - both erect and flaccid.

While we're at it, tell us what YOU do for a living.

Give us your bank account and retirement fund balance.

Post pics of the house you own - surely you're not renting and making somebody else's payment, eh?

Impress us any way you can.

When I am duly humbled, I will certainly let you know.

:D [lol][razz]

Oh, I'll begin by posting pics of my modest guitar collection - see link in signature line below.

You can begin by pretending I don't know how to play them, and hide your envy as well as you can.

:D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/ :D/

One of these days' date=' someone is going to have to explain the appeal of Steve Vai/Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention

[/quote']

As a die hard Zappa fan I'd often try to explain, or perhaps convince would be a better way of putting it, to people just why it is all so awesome, but after a while I just stopped bothering as there's not really any point. Either you get it, or you don't. Either you like it or you don't. I can't really explain why it is so great to my ears, but if I tried I would say that I think both the music itself and the whole "Zappa Universe" type of thing all appeals to me on a very fundamental level, as in how I am as a person, how I think and how I see the world and how I watch myself and other people function and behave in it. And that sounds really pretentious but I can't explain it in another way. And I don't mean it in a "we Zappa fans are smarter and more enlightened than the rest of you" kind of way either, just that it might have more appeal to a certain type of personality with a certain outlook, and not just limited to a particular musical taste.

It's like with Captain Beefheart. Right around when I signed up here after lurking for a while, there was some thread about someone who had gotten Trout Mask Replica after hearing about how awesome it was supposed to be, only to find that he really hated it. My first instinct was to post about what a moron that guy must be, but after thinking about how to explain why it's so great to him, I realised that he's hardly a moron, nor am I some enlightened smarty pants for liking it. TMR intrigued me, to put it generously, at my first listen. Enough to make me listen to it a couple of times more, and during those times I started to "get it". So why did I get it while someone else doesn't? I really don't know. Probably a couple of thousand events of various types and outcomes that had taken place in my life up until that point, perhaps somehow led me to hear a big picture and concept which I'd say have more in common with a sculpture or a painting than an album of tracks that hardly can be called songs, where other people were expecting just that - songs, and therefore judge the material as such. Neither is right or wrong, just one will keep listening, and the other won't. It's all good.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't believe in explaining music to people. I'm not sure it can be done, it's something you have to find for yourself. I for example don't get the appeal of the majority of blues players that most seem to worship in this forum, I don't really see what's so fantastic about Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page either. But 20 years ago I didn't see the appeal in fusion, jazz, classic rock, stuff like Leonard Cohen or Kris Kristofferson, but a couple of years later I did. And i don't think that could have been explained to me, I just ended up there on my own.

TLDR version: Don't worry about it.

As a die hard Zappa fan I'd often try to explain' date=' or perhaps convince would be a better way of putting it, to people just why it is all so awesome, but after a while I just stopped bothering as there's not really any point. Either you get it, or you don't. Either you like it or you don't. I can't really explain why it is so great to my ears, but if I tried I would say that I think both the music itself and the whole "Zappa Universe" type of thing all appeals to me on a very fundamental level, as in how I am as a person, how I think and how I see the world and how I watch myself and other people function and behave in it. And that sounds really pretentious but I can't explain it in another way. And I don't mean it in a "[i']we Zappa fans are smarter and more enlightened than the rest of you[/i]" kind of way either, just that it might have more appeal to a certain type of personality with a certain outlook, and not just limited to a particular musical taste.

It's like with Captain Beefheart. Right around when I signed up here after lurking for a while, there was some thread about someone who had gotten Trout Mask Replica after hearing about how awesome it was supposed to be, only to find that he really hated it. My first instinct was to post about what a moron that guy must be, but after thinking about how to explain why it's so great to him, I realised that he's hardly a moron, nor am I some enlightened smarty pants for liking it. TMR intrigued me, to put it generously, at my first listen. Enough to make me listen to it a couple of times more, and during those times I started to "get it". So why did I get it while someone else doesn't? I really don't know. Probably a couple of thousand events of various types and outcomes that had taken place in my life up until that point, perhaps somehow led me to hear a big picture and concept which I'd say have more in common with a sculpture or a painting than an album of tracks that hardly can be called songs, where other people were expecting just that - songs, and therefore judge the material as such. Neither is right or wrong, just one will keep listening, and the other won't. It's all good.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't believe in explaining music to people. I'm not sure it can be done, it's something you have to find for yourself. I for example don't get the appeal of the majority of blues players that most seem to worship in this forum, I don't really see what's so fantastic about Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page either. But 20 years ago I didn't see the appeal in fusion, jazz, classic rock, stuff like Leonard Cohen or Kris Kristofferson, but a couple of years later I did. And i don't think that could have been explained to me, I just ended up there on my own.

TLDR version: Don't worry about it.

this has to be the most sensible post so far in this thread [cool] , all i asked was for people to watch the two videos i posted and tell me witch was the best performance, instead i get morons commenting on vai's shoes or how he gets someone to blow his hair on stage! and then comes the argument of WHO invented fingertapping? if ya cant just comment on the posted clips then jog on to the next thread and stir up trouble there...[cool]

One of these days' date=' someone is going to have to explain the appeal of Steve Vai/Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention

Why you.....[cool]

You either like him or you don't. Nothing to get, really. He was an original. It's all about taste. Nobody's taste iswrong. It's just different. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be one boring place.

Why you.....[cool]

You either like him or you don't. Nothing to get' date=' really. He was an original. It's all about taste. Nobody's taste iswrong. It's just different. If we all liked the same thing, the world would be one boring place. [/quote']

+1 [cool]

this has to be the most sensible post so far in this thread :) ' date=' all i asked was for people to watch the two videos i posted and tell me witch was the best performance, instead i get morons commenting on vai's shoes or how he gets someone to blow his hair on stage! and then comes the argument of WHO invented fingertapping? if ya cant just comment on the posted clips then jog on to the next thread and stir up trouble there...[bored']

c'mon, that is no fun

[lol]

[lol]

[lol]

When Musicman/Peavey and Ibanez released the signature guitars of Eddie and Steve not only great instruments but actually within the affordable range of guitar players and both guitars actually set standards that many have yet to acheive. I would strongly suggest if you have a chance to play either a Wolfgang or Jem from days past do it. Those are great guitars and while they are signature models they are actually guitars that are worth the price.

One of the coolest things about the JEM is that Steve actually plays them. He picks the ones he has from the same production line as the ones going out to the stores are from. I don't think that's all too common in the signature guitars world.

I beg to differ' date=' Slash uses guitars that look like Gibsons but they are not made by Gibson at all. As for the other Gibson Series the all important point is maybe 5% of the people owning them can actually afford buying those guitars; but a working musician cutting his teeth on any club circuit can not readily afford those guitars.

[/quote']

I am well aware of the "gibsons" slash used, more so then you would believe, but I was referencing the guitars made by the gibson custom shop and aged to look just like kimmy page's, or billy gibbon's, or slash's, the custom shop usually builds 100 of em or so, sends them all to the artist being honored with the guitar, the artist picks 20 or so that he likes the best out of the run, signs them, plays them, and they become the magic "signed/aged limited edition"

Archived