Gibson Brands Forums

Traveling with a guitar

Silenced Fred

Promise this is my last thread for the night...

I am going to Vegas for a week with my dad and being 17 there isn't much to do other than the trade show I am going to with him. It is during the day and seeing as I can't gamble or anything I was considering bringing a guitar with. Probably my Strat as I wouldn't want to risk it with my Gibson, but here are my questions: Who flies with a guitar and how do you do it?

I bring it as carry on, but am always prepared to check it at the gate. DO NOT CHECK IT WITH YOUR REGULAR LUGGAGE!!!

On most flights, they will let me put it in the overhead bin, but sometimes I will have to check it at the gate, if that happens, make really nice with a stewardess and explain how concerned you are with it getting damaged. Sometimes they will put it in their locker, or at least keep an eye that it is not mistreated. An SKB case with the TSA locks is a good investment for air travel.

And BTW, I would not recommend bringing the guitar you posted in the other thread.

I bring it as carry on' date=' but am always prepared to check it at the gate. DO NOT CHECK IT WITH YOUR REGULAR LUGGAGE!!!

On most flights, they will let me put it in the overhead bin, but sometimes I will have to check it at the gate, if that happens, make really nice with a stewardess and explain how concerned you are with it getting damaged. Sometimes they will put it in their locker, or at least keep an eye that it is not mistreated. An SKB case with the TSA locks is a good investment for air travel.

And BTW, I would not recommend bringing the guitar you posted in the other thread.[/quote']

Bwahahahahahahah that would be bad..... "But it is just a guitar, I swear!"

I am still undecided on whether to take it or not. I am trying to convince my dad to buy me a 335 out there at a shop that is right next to the airport made in 1992 (sentimental gift for my 18th [cool] )

I have traveled a lot with guitars, even on international... I have never had a problem carrying the guitar with me on board. If it doesn't fit in the overhead they are usually pretty good about stowing it in a closet for you... If the try to get you to put it below just tell them its a very valuable guitar and you don't want to risk damaging it by exposing it to drastic temperature and pressure changes... Doesn't matter if it's true or not...

Already mentioned, but I must agree......

SKB or Gator ATA case is a must - make sure it is ATA approved (Gator sells both ATA and non ATA - not sure about SKB).

Try to carry on. If you must put it in the belly of the plane, release the string tension.

Don't bring a hollow body. A Fender is a good choice because the headstock isn't angled and it has a solid body.

Small travel guitar is better, but don't plan on gigging with one.

Insights and incites by Notes

I have traveled a lot with guitars' date=' even on international... I have never had a problem carrying the guitar with me on board. If it doesn't fit in the overhead they are usually pretty good about stowing it in a closet for you... If the try to get you to put it below just tell them its a very valuable guitar and you don't want to risk damaging it by exposing it to drastic temperature and pressure changes... Doesn't matter if it's true or not...[/quote']

On what kinda planes do you guys fly!?

On a regular British Airways 777, theres no way a gibson lp case could fit in the overhead bins.

Archived